Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Au Gratin potatoes
I agreed to make some because we are having ham for Christmas, so I went on-line to see how tough it is. I think I can do it but was wondering if a person could use different pcs of end cheese instead of a sharp cheddar. It sure looks like a lot of work though. Here is the one I was thinking of doing.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Au-Gratin-Potatoes/
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Good stuff.
Add in a little Pecorino Romano to the cheddar
Its a little but a Petit Basque is some good stuff too.
Do what you want, but you can't fail with this recipe.

Ingredients
13 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 12 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
12 cup grated Gruyere
12 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
12 teaspoon ground black pepper
18 teaspoon paprika

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 1 12 quart baking dish with about 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.

Arrange a layer of potatoes in the baking dish, and sprinkle some of the cheeses over them. Continue layering potatoes and cheeses until you've used them all, ending with a layer of potatoes.

In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the salt and pepper; pour this over the potatoes. Dot the remaining butter over the top and sprinkle with the paprika. Bake for 1 to 1 14 hours, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown on top. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
If you don't have a mandolin you can use the large side of a hand held grater or a food processor fitted with a slicer. Or you can just thinly slice the potatoes with a knife, but that's a pain in the ass.
I can still use any cheese with that right? swiss, cheddar, provolone,monteray jack, American and a few others.......right?
(12-23-2013, 10:15 PM)sally Wrote: If you don't have a mandolin you can use the large side of a hand held grater or a food processor fitted with a slicer. Or you can just thinly slice the potatoes with a knife, but that's a pain in the ass.

I would rake my knuckles across that thing. I'm good with a knife though.
(12-23-2013, 10:15 PM)Maggot Wrote: I can still use any cheese with that right? swiss, cheddar, provolone,monteray jack, American and a few others.......right?
I've only used the gruyere and parmesan, but I imagine any cheese would work. I don't know, I think gruyere and parm would taste the best. Gruyere is pricey, but you don't need a lot.
If you don't want to fuck around with slicing potatoes then do this one. You can't call it Au Gratin, but I guarantee no one will complain.

1 stick melted butter
1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
12 teaspoon pepper
13 cup sour cream
1 can of cream of mushroom soup/ undiluted
2 lbs. frozen hashbrowns/ thawed

Mix all together and bake at 350 for about an hour or until browned on top.
And then wait for people to look around in amazement wondering who made the shit.
[Image: dsc05116.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
The bogans over here have prostituted many of the worlds classic recipes, and this is one of them. The greater unwashed in this country refer to it as 'Potato bake'. It's actually pretty tasty.

Typical recipe I flogged from the net;

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 rashers bacon, chopped
1 small brown onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1.2-1.5 kg potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
300 mL carton thickened cream
½ cup milk
1½ teaspoons chicken stock powder
½ cup grated tasty cheese

Method

Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease an 8-cup capacity baking dish.
Heat oil in a large frying pan on high. Saute bacon, onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until onion is tender and bacon is golden.
Layer potatoes and onion mixture alternately in prepared baking dish.
In a large jug, whisk together cream, milk and stock powder. Pour over potatoes. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour, until potato is tender.
Remove foil. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake a further 15 minutes, uncovered, until cheese has melted and is golden.

As for using end cheeses, I don't see a problem. Just avoid the really oily ones because that pool of oil tends to coagulate on the top when they melt. As six said, a bit of Romano or any other sharp bitey cheese works really well
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
My wife sometimes makes gratin dauphinois which is similar but you add garlic.

My granny used to do sole au gratin, which is basically fish with a creamy mushroom sauce on top.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.