Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WORD UP
[Image: too_many_words.gif]

These are some of the newest entries in the OxfordDictionaries.com update.

YOLO -- acronym for "you only live once".

Sideboob -- self explanatory (or you can ask MS for details).

Amazeballs -- annoying way of saying "amazing".

Mansplain -- a man trying to explain something, usually to a woman, in a sincere and condescending way.

Hate-watch -- to watch a television show with the express intent of mocking it.

Cray -- an adjective meaning "crazy," but with one less syllable (I thought FAHQTOO made up 'cray').

Anyway, here I am again; reading everything that I can get my hands on to satisfy my thirst for knowledge. I'm insatiable -- it's like a habit or an addiction. Something is seriously wrong with me. :(

^ I'm kidding. That's my attempt at a humblebrag. A humblebrag is an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud. Apparently, Facebook and Twitter is full of humblebrags -- funny shit. (Some celebrity humblebrags: http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/funnies...n-twitter/ )

Don't be shy. This is the place to bust out your (or anybody else's) humblebrags, mansplains, sideboobs, etc..
Tina Fey lashes out at mansplaining.

[Image: tina-fey-mansplaining1.gif]

Personally, I do not object to mainsplaining.

Some of the most amusing things I hear and read come from men sincerely explaining what it is that women really feel, what feminists want, why religious men should determine what women can legally do with their bodies...
Donovan is the perfect example of a humblebrag.
(08-16-2014, 02:45 PM)sally Wrote: Donovan is the perfect example of a humblebrag.

You mean like when he told us that one of his flaws was having the intellectual power to assess every woman's weaknesses accurately and then using his super behavior modification abilities to change them (for his own good)?

He's also very big on mansplaining, particularly when the subject pertains to how women think and feel. I think MS might lead him by a hair in that department, though. Cutz is kinda new here, but he might have the potential to pull into the lead. (I like the intentionally and unintentionally funny assholes, nonetheless.)
Yep, and I don't think they even realize they're doing it. It simplifies calling them out on it now that there is an official term for it.
Duchess is a hate-watcher.

At least, she used to be when Piers Morgan was on the air.

[Image: Piers-Morgan-610x457.jpg]

^ The good old days.

I wonder if Duchess misses the laughs now that he's gone?
(08-16-2014, 03:31 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I wonder if Duchess misses the laughs now that he's gone?

Hell no! I yearn for the day they fill that time slot with someone who knows how to conduct an interview.

Piers had a twitter hissy. *snicker* Larry King said Piers killed the 9:00 PM time slot, said his interview style was "pompus" (Go, Larry!). Piers sorta lost his shit after that.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm watching the kid version of Chopped on Food Network and the black kid said he's giving it all he's got in the dessert round, it's his yolo moment. Apparently these new words are old news.
They're new to the dictionary, but I think they have to be used fairly commonly for a while to make it in there. Apparently, they're used a lot on social media first. There were a couple of more words just added to the Oxford on-line dictionary that I didn't mention in the OP: http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/...story.html http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28783088

I don't use Twitter or Facebook, so sometimes I have to look up words and terms that everyone else seems to recognize. I'm sure that I reference the Urban Dictionary more than any other source these days.

I did finally set up a Facebook account though so I didn't have to log in in to somebody else's to read certain crime and news stories. It's not under a personal name and I had to have my niece help me to set everything to no access, no alerts, no friend requests, blah blah blah. But, it's amazeballs how nice it is not to keep getting denied when I follow links -- I just stay logged in.
(08-16-2014, 02:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: He's also very big on mansplaining, particularly when the subject pertains to how women think and feel. I think MS might lead him by a hair in that department, though. Cutz is kinda new here, but he might have the potential to pull into the lead. (I like the intentionally and unintentionally funny assholes, nonetheless.)
Nah, I'm way too humble to ever pull into the lead for explaining things. #PoorMe.
And here I was thinking, Maybe its time to have a sanity check.
Anyone up for a good analyzing ?

Don't forget...........It may or may not be a pleasant experience. New words may be used.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Ok,,,,,,,,taking over this "word up" thread just because.......

Crash:
Although he and Aussiebitch banter and postulate they both know that people on the same continent need to stick together. He knows how crazy people can get and its probably from experiencing ex-wives.
Always sometimes wit just squishes out his ears and it becomes a great asset I laugh usually as he can give a person a visual that stays with a person like getting suddenly photographed with a high intensity bulb in an alley.
Just a few weeks ago he said " I'm so weak I couldn't pull a greased stick out of a dogs ass" or something like that, purely an example but you get my drift.
Anyways, on with the dissection. I feel as though he might be harboring a few demons, maybe its a fear of skydiving or cliff diving but he might be sending signals of anti diving. I'm not sure if he has a mistress but I feel as though he would do anything for his family.
I've met people like him in the early 80's and I bet his trustworthiness is impeccable if your in his "loop"
A good man that would make any woman feel like a princess, at least until he was done with her. And after he called me back a few years ago from Vegas or someplace an interesting guy full of life and willing to do anything for a person except skydive. I can hear him now "Fuck that mate!!!!"
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-16-2014, 02:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(08-16-2014, 02:45 PM)sally Wrote: Donovan is the perfect example of a humblebrag.

You mean like when he told us that one of his flaws was having the intellectual power to assess every woman's weaknesses accurately and then using his super behavior modification abilities to change them (for his own good)?

He's also very big on mansplaining, particularly when the subject pertains to how women think and feel. I think MS might lead him by a hair in that department, though. Cutz is kinda new here, but he might have the potential to pull into the lead. (I like the intentionally and unintentionally funny assholes, nonetheless.)
lol that really got under your fingernails, didn't it? I object to humblebrag because I'm not particularly humble. As for "Mansplaining" well I suppose I do that to everybody.

But I hereby coin a brand NEW word that both shows the reason mansplaining is an epidemic and casts light on one of the biggest flaws many women share: The "vacant-she". That's where a woman who is clearly intelligent and capable, pretends to be stupid and helpless to a nearby man for the purpose of either attracting a mate or getting him to do stuff for her.
(08-17-2014, 12:27 AM)Donovan Wrote: The "vacant-she". That's where a woman who is clearly intelligent and capable, pretends to be stupid and helpless to a nearby man for the purpose of either attracting a mate or getting him to do stuff for her.

Oh gods. That is that damsel in distress bullshit I can't stand. It pulls the pin on my crazy grenade. They are almost always the same women who present themselves to be sweet as sugar but the minute your back is turned they morph into a viper.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(08-17-2014, 12:27 AM)Donovan Wrote: lol that really got under your fingernails, didn't it? I object to humblebrag because I'm not particularly humble. As for "Mansplaining" well I suppose I do that to everybody.

It didn't get under my fingernails, but it was a highly amusing and memorable claim that merits more than one mocking. The fact that your whopping humblebrag in that thread was also mansplained in such detail is amazeballs, really. Hats off.

You can object to humblebrag, but it fits like a glove. You just didn't comprehend its definition properly. You don't have to be a humble person to humblebrag. The humble part is the situational front. The brag part is real. Like using the pretext of it being a "flaw" or "something you don't like about yourself" to boast about your belief that you are the master of women and have the power to change their behavior to suit your liking.

But, yeah, I agree that you're not humble at all and do plenty of bragging without a false pretext as well. Smart blatant braggers are probably also the best at the art of humblebragging when the opportunity presents itself.

(08-17-2014, 12:27 AM)Donovan Wrote: But I hereby coin a brand NEW word that both shows the reason mansplaining is an epidemic and casts light on one of the biggest flaws many women share: The "vacant-she". That's where a woman who is clearly intelligent and capable, pretends to be stupid and helpless to a nearby man for the purpose of either attracting a mate or getting him to do stuff for her.

Mansplaining the mansplain. Not bad.

The act of mansplaining is nothing new, nor an epidemic though. Been around for ages; long before a single term for it was coined. And, it's defined by the deliverer and style of the explanation, not the recipient. Your mainsplains in here, to that point, aren't directed at vacant-shes. You're a chronic and indiscriminate mansplainer based on your personality and how you see things -- or just to rile people up? Funny stuff, either way.

Hey, maybe your NEW word will catch on and be used frequently enough to therefore qualify for entry into the Oxford Online Dictionary. At which point, you can post the LA Times and BBC articles announcing its entry; giving yourself credit for its invention whilst telling everyone how rather silly you find it that a product of your effortless cleverness is getting such wide exposure. Smiley_emoticons_smile
THE WORD OF THE DAY

Yeah, I know this word has been around for a bit. But, I just learned of it late last night.

I had to drop off a key at my friend's bar and saw a woman who's been a regular there for years hanging on some chick I didn't know. The woman had a boyfriend who was really smart -- I liked him a lot both times I met him (as for her, meh).

Anyway, I asked my friend if they'd broken up and if that chick was her girlfriend. He told me that the boyfriend had moved back to Seattle and dumped her. So, now she's on the prowl and that she and the other chick are just "barsexuals".

I've warmed a bar stool or two in my day, but he had to tell me what it meant.

[Image: barsexual-2.jpg]
Barsexuals

In case I'm not the last person to hear that term, it refers to women who hang on each and pretend to be bi-sexual at bars in order to get attention from men and turn them on.

I asked him if it worked. He told me he had a hard-on. Asshole.
Sigh....desperate is what comes to mind.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I've seen them before, I just didn't know there was an actual term for it.
An obvious requirement of a Barsexual must be good looks I'm assuming?
I see them at my son's high school and everyone knows damn well they're just pretending to be lebozs.

Same thing, except it's out in front of McDonald's behind the school and not a bar. That's where they all go to skip school and smoke e-cigs.