Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
FORCED CHEMO

A 17 yr. old in Connecticut is forcibly being made to undergo chemo. She didn't want to and her Mom supported that decision, because of that she was removed her from her home and placed in the state's custody and now the state has the legal right to make decisions for her. Would you respect your young adult child's wishes or do you believe the right thing was done by removing her from her home and forcing chemo on her?

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
It would be hard. On one hand, it's my child and I'd want to do whatever possible to save her. On the other hand, seeing her go through chemo and the side effects would be devastating. But I think at 17 I'd let her make her own decision. But not without a lot of reservations. Even if I forced her to have chemo now, she will be 18 soon and can stop.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
That is fucking absurd.
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

I'd make her undergo chemo or an alternative treatment option (if available) if I were her mother; supporting and caring for her all along the way. No way would I resist on principle and let my kid die or be snatched from me by the state. No way.

The 17-year-old is not an adult yet and her form of cancer is highly treatable. Allowing it to go untreated is like encouraging suicide. I couldn't do that.

I've seen chemo save the lives of a few people I love, one of whom was initially resistant to it and is now so glad she agreed to the treatment. I hope this girl's chemo goes well and she winds up feeling the same way.
(01-06-2015, 12:53 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'd make her undergo chemo or an alternative treatment option (if available) if I were her mother; supporting and caring for her all along the way. No way would I resist on principle and let my kid die or be snatched from me by the state. No way.

The 17-year-old is not an adult yet and her form of cancer is highly treatable. Allowing it to go untreated is like encouraging suicide. I couldn't do that.

I've seen chemo save the lives of a few people I love, one of whom was initially resistant to it and is now so glad she agreed to the treatment. I hope this girl's chemo goes well and she winds up feeling the same way.
I didn't have time to read the article, but I trust HOtD did since she knows the type of cancer is treatable... That said agree with HOtD.
Yeah, it sounds like she and her mom agreed to the first few treatments and then wanted to bow out because of the side effects. The kid is too young to make the decision to forego treatment because of the discomfort she's experiencing now. She's potentially trading her life for her suffering now. Teenagers think they're largely immortal; she probably thinks she's had enough and would be fine without continuing. Shame on that mother.
Commando Cunt Queen
I agree with HotD. If it's treatable, treat it.

I don't understand the mothers thought process, especially since it's treatable.
(01-06-2015, 05:49 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I agree with HotD. If it's treatable, treat it.

I don't understand the mothers thought process, especially since it's treatable.

I'm sure it's awful watching your kid suffer the side effects of chemo but for the sake of the kid, you gotta suck it up and endure that as opposed to allowing her to quit FFS. Stupid woman.

I have a friend whose son is around 14 and he's going through something like 26 chemo treatments for leukemia. That would be hard watching them lose their hair, energy, dealing with the nausea...all of it. But you do it for their life.

Stupid woman.
Commando Cunt Queen
I'd force the kid to treat it if it looked like a good outcome. I force them to do other shit at 17, saving their life is no different.

I know someone who decided against chemo and to do a holistic diet instead. She's an adult and can do whatever she wants, but the doctor gave her a little lecture about it. Organic vegetables and beans aren't going to stop the cancer from coming back.
They do not say what stage she has, but as a kid she can stay at home and ride out the side effects. The younger a person is the harder the side effects are. To allow a young person who lives by the minute and thinks the future is bright and that she is super strong is a paper chase. When the effects of the cancer start eating in the end result will be far worse than any chemo would cause. That is when the child and the parent will wish for the chemo but it will be to late.
By the time any court assessment can be given it may very well be to late. The earlier the better.
The parents are being selfish and codling the child's wishes, sometime a parent needs to stand up and do what's right, In this case the parents are weak and in the end will have to live with the fact that they did not give her a fighting chance. Its just to bad that a court needs to step in and defend the kid. I bet there is more to the story and I'm sure it will come out.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I agree the kid should get treatment and her mom should have forced her to. I'm not too happy with the idea of the state forcing her to get a highly invasive treatment tho. That's pretty fucked up.
(01-06-2015, 10:19 PM)Maggot Wrote: The parents are being selfish and codling the child's wishes, sometime a parent needs to stand up and do what's right, In this case the parents are weak and in the end will have to live with the fact that they did not give her a fighting chance. Its just to bad that a court needs to step in and defend the kid. I bet there is more to the story and I'm sure it will come out.

I think the mom may also be in denial or dangerously optimistic. I saw an interview with her a few backs. She said her daughter isn't gonna die without treatment.

[Image: 750x422]

But, the doctors who've examined Cassandra (pictured above) told the family and the Ct. Supreme Court that she would unquestionably die without the chemo and she has an 85% change of recovery with the chemo.

The state Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that the forced chemo could continue and the family is appealing the decision.

Cassandra turns 18 in September. From there on out, her medical decisions will be her own and due to the forced chemo, there's a good chance she'll be alive to make them.

Ref: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-teen...story.html
Good news.

After two rounds of chemo, Cassandra Fortin is in remission and her doctors say that the outlook for a full recovery is good.

[Image: 247442D000000578-2898395-image-m-14_1420557924006.jpg]
^ Before her treatment for Hodgkins lymphoma

In September, she'll be 18 and it'll be up to her how she manages her health.
Theres a lot of fucking whacko's out there like the anti vaxers. Thanks to them we now have Measels burning through our population again. Polio has made a bit of a comeback after being nearly compleyely wiped oout world wide, whooping cough was out of hand last year.
Idiots that think they can beat cancer with meditation and celery juice are in the same group. Fucking stupid to let your kid die for some dumbass ideological notion
Dickhead mother. Dick-head