The California Quail

I hear these every morning.
They are crazy.
A friend of mine says it sounds like they are saying, "Chi ca go! Chi ca go!"

There is this little red bird in the oak tree in my front yard every morning and I swear he is saying "kitty boo, kitty boo, kitty". My daughter hears it too when we leave for school. I call him Mr. Fucking Kitty Boo, she thinks it's funny. Birds are strange creatures.
I remember walking in a field of tall grass next to a dam when I was fishing, all of a sudden it got real quiet then out of the blue 50 quail jumped up all around me and flew into the air. It scared the living crap out of me.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
They are such scaredy birds, it cracks me up, but I hate it when the cross the street a million times not knowing which direction they want to go. I also like when I see one quail from the group perched up above just watching its family. Its cool.
Funny story Sally.
I wish I could get the sound I hear from the quail and the morning doves around here, mixed together it sounds pretty crazy.

(05-21-2019, 02:38 AM)MirahM Wrote: They are such scaredy birds, it cracks me up, but I hate it when the cross the street a million times not knowing which direction they want to go. I also like when I see one quail from the group perched up above just watching its family. Its cool.
Funny story Sally.
I wish I could get the sound I hear from the quail and the morning doves around here, mixed together it sounds pretty crazy.

12 gauge loaded with #8 bird shot, problem solved, and dinner is gonna be delicious quail pot pie.
That's such a bad idea  :(
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I learned today the reason we aren't seeing any quail babies is because it is too wet. The quail prefer dry surfaces to lay eggs and it has been one of the wetest springs anyone can remember.

moist
I see what you did there, mister.
So stinkin' cute.

[Image: apgqg074nei51.jpg]
(06-13-2022, 11:18 PM)BigMark Wrote: moist

Stuffin' a moist muffin...
He knows moist is on the list.
(06-14-2022, 05:13 PM)Duchess Wrote: He knows moist is on the list.

Calm down, you're going to poop your underpants.

Moist!
[Image: moist-tongue.gif]
(06-14-2022, 05:19 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Calm down, you're going to poop your underpants.

Moist!

(06-14-2022, 05:46 PM)BigMark Wrote: [Image: moist-tongue.gif]

[Image: 4l7n2tr.gif]
Don't turn this cute bird thread into a moist thread! DAMMIT!

ALSO-I noticed this year that the Swallows-(HA HA SWALLOW! OMG LOL TEE HEE HEE HEE)
Are not building thier usual "nests" on the hillside. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT IS TOO MOIST ALSO!

(06-14-2022, 08:07 PM)MirahM Wrote: ALSO-I noticed this year that the Swallows-(HA HA SWALLOW! OMG LOL TEE HEE HEE HEE)
Are not building thier usual "nests" on the hillside. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT IS TOO MOIST ALSO!

I've had Say's Phoebes in my back yard lately. They make the most lovliest of sounds! Tho they are not that beautiful of a bird, thier call is pretty cool sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5earImvNwI

I enjoy the hell out of that kind of thing. I appreciate all the wildlife I’m so fortunate to see everyday. I’m on fawn watch now.