fix any gap in any windows
move the grill to a more accessible place
put the studded tires on
put the storm windows in
fix any screens from the Summer
Wish Aussiebitch and fryguy and Crash a happy summer

Where the hell is Gunnar?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'm just going to tell work I'm taking 4 months vacation starting in November and then hibernate. Bears have the right idea.
Get out an extra blanket

Find my pants

Heat the Pool

Roll down the windows and luxuriate with the seat and steering wheel heater
Buy sheets/tarps for the bedded plants.

Move the potted plants under the patio covering.

Buy several bottles of Maker's Mark 46.
(10-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Maggot Wrote: What are you doing to make it easier?

We're heading to the "SUNshine" (Also know an SNAKEland (I HATE SNAKES)) STATE! Smiley_emoticons_smile Where winter is 70 degrees!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Not much changes in the Winter here. I did close the pool for the season, even though it's heated I don't like using the heater. I put away the outdoor furniture cushions that surround the pool, I haven't gotten to the furniture on the other patio yet and any day now I will be moving my tropical plants into the pool room up in the barn.

I do get a kick out of grilling while it's snowing. Weird, I know but it makes for cool pix.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Trashy Duchess
Open all my windows and enjoy the cool breeze.
I can think of a few things:
Make sure the generator is working well
Fix any fences that may fall
shut off the outside spickets
cut down the shrubbery
check the cars for oil changes to a thinner oil
start the snowblower
change the oil filter in the tanks
spray the perimeter of the house for bugs
put the studded tires on
put the storm windows in

When I lived in the mountains they were ready for winter by Nov 1. It was always fun to watch the low windows being boarded up and everything being put away, being ready for an average of 300 inches of snow a year. 
But now I live in an apartment and don't need to do anything special here except prepare my vehicle for winter driving over the passes. I am going over today actually and putting chains in my car already and a down jacket and wool blanket and other essential winter supplies. 
I haven't even put away my summer camping gear yet. : (

I never put the chains on until the last minute.
(10-22-2019, 10:29 AM)Duchess Wrote: I do get a kick out of grilling while it's snowing. Weird, I know but it makes for cool pix.

We don't get snow, but it can get pretty cold and frosty here in the winter.

A couple of months back I got my first propane grill and love it; always had little charcoal barbecues in the past.

Now I prefer to cook everything I can on the grill rather than the oven and plan on grilling through the winter too.  Asparagus, chicken, shrimp, kabobs, hamburgers...........all taste great right off the grill and the clean up is easier.

The one thing I haven't gotten quite right is thicker steaks, which my niece loves.  They're always a little too rare for us no matter what I try and I have to pop them in the microwave for a minute. 

I'm also looking forward to breaking out the slow cooker as the weather cools down.
(10-22-2019, 11:56 AM)MirahM Wrote:
I can think of a few things:
Make sure the generator is working well
Fix any fences that may fall
shut off the outside spickets
cut down the shrubbery
check the cars for oil changes to a thinner oil
start the snowblower
change the oil filter in the tanks
spray the perimeter of the house for bugs
put the studded tires on
put the storm windows in

When I lived in the mountains they were ready for winter by Nov 1. It was always fun to watch the low windows being boarded up and everything being put away, being ready for an average of 300 inches of snow a year. 
But now I live in an apartment and don't need to do anything special here except prepare my vehicle for winter driving over the passes. I am going over today actually and putting chains in my car already and a down jacket and wool blanket and other essential winter supplies. 
I haven't even put away my summer camping gear yet. : (

In my state, it's a state law where you can't put on studded snow tires (or chains)
on the car before November 15th! And then they have to taken off by April 30th.
(Back in the day when I was working, I used to put on 4 studded snow tires on my
car, it steered better on ice covered  roads.)
Today, if I was still working and I had to travel to work on snowy/ice roads I would
have a AWD car, with studded tires.

Well yeah! Jan Feb March are the worst months here.
(10-22-2019, 08:59 PM)Maggot Wrote: Well yeah! Jan Feb March are the worst months here.

November and April are questionable here too! Have had many nasty noreasters those months.

One time we had to put the heater on all night.
I put mine on once too. It snowed that day. Only for like 20 seconds, but it was still technically snow.
(10-22-2019, 12:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I got my first propane grill and love it

I think everything tastes better grilled. NomNomNom. I hope you'll try corn on the cob sometime, it's wonderful grilled.

Your new home is so pretty. I hope you'll be happy there forever!   99
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Thank you Duchess.  So far, so good.

Right now, we're on a grilled asparagus with a little olive oil and cheese kick.  So good.

I've had grilled corn on the cob before and it was really good too.  I'll try grilling some up myself soon.
I just purchased a permit through the forest service for 3 cords of wood. I feel like such an adult. I'm proud of myself because I knew September would be the month where I had to prepare the wood pile and I'm already starting the process on the first day. Whew.
Now I just have to get help for the delivery, I don't think I have to chop it all myself. I don't know! I'm buying a pink chainsaw tho!

I make my chainsaw red the old fashion way.