Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crock Pot
Two of Mock's favorite things! Crock and Pot!

Do you use a crock pot? What do you make in it?

I just picked up a very small 2 qt size crock pot. I don't know if that was a worthless purchase, but it was just $10. I despise crock pots, but I love when other people make soups and stuff in them.

I am going to try it out this weekend.

I will send you an instapot for free.
I like them and use it to do spare ribs and a few other things that I finish on the grill. My wife makes all kinds of stuff in it and when I got the larger one it was great because I had lots of leftovers.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'm not sure I want an instapot. What would I do with it?

Its just me. And I'm terrible about making something that I will eat all week. But I think it could work if I were stuck at home or just wanted to make some soup or chili or something else.
I'm kind of excited to try ribs. Yum.

I should have used my crockpot for the pork chops. I don't use my crockpot that much either because it's just me. Last thing I made in it was the nacho cheese dip for an office party last year. Don't know why I spent $3 on a travel case for it.
I had an instapot and hated it.    It's in a thrift shop some where now.     I do, however,  love my crockpot and it gets used 2 or 3 times a week. 

Most recently I made a big old batch of bone broth abd froze it in portions for soup.
how do you do bone broth
(03-26-2020, 12:06 PM)BigMark Wrote: how do you do bone broth

This is the recipe I used for my guide:

BONE BROTH - easy, healthy, inexpensive, and delicious- is one of those ancient recipes that requires an old-fashioned mix of patience, steady heat, and the willingness to acknowledge that meat comes from animals. This is a simple fact, but an often uncomfortable one. The more we “modern” humans distance ourselves from our roots as scavenger-hunter-digger-gatherers, the more grossed out we get at the nitty-gritty viscera of bodies. And while some of us eschew animal products all together, it’s important to examine why and how we consume living beings, so we can do it in as mindful and ethical a way as possible. For me, making and drinking bone broth is a way to honor the animals I’m eating, my body, and my ancestors. The alchemy of turning an otherwise inedible (and thus less expensive) part of an animal into nutritious nourishment pleases my frugal DIY nature. Using chicken feet and cow joints (my two favorite, collagen-rich bases for bone broth) forces me to learn about our shared anatomy in a way that eating pre-packaged food doesn’t; it gives me a chance to thank them and honor the tangible nature of the sacrifices my omnivorous diet demands. I’m convinced that more effort goes into sanitizing the concept of inhumanely-raised meat than goes toward care of the actual animals - it’s economically impossible for an animal to be raised and slaughtered with dignity and kindness if the pristinely plastic-wrapped end result costs $3.99 a pound. Taking care of animals is expensive! However, bones, feet, tails, etc from free-range, well-treated animals cost less than “choice” cuts of meat, and you can get them in bulk from local farmers and butchers. This encourages ethical farming practices and keeps money in our communities. And a few pounds of bones will yield many servings of soup, so it stretches your money further. A staple in most high-end restaurants (did I mention it’s delicious?), bone broth has also been shown to help heal the lining of the GI tract, improve mood and brain function, strengthen teeth and bones, improve skin and joint elasticity, and help the body heal from all sorts of diseases, including ulcers, infections, food-related allergies, diabetes, stiff joints, tuberculosis, and even cancer. When I drink bone broth my formerly weak nails grow long and strong, my hair grows faster, I have more energy, think more clearly, my digestion and immunity improves, and my joints don’t hurt. This is because slow-cooking bones with a little bit of vinegar breaks them down to release collagen and gelatin, minerals like calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium, trace minerals, amino acids like glycine (which energizes cells), and glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid, which our bodies then turn into healthy joints, skin, hair, teeth, and nails. By adding in herbs and vegetables, we get the vitamins we need, in a form our bodies recognize as food. Finally, drinking broth connects me with my ancestors. Soup made from bones and vegetable scraps is a part of my heritage. Flavored with immune-supportive herbs like garlic and onions and rich with vitamins and minerals, there’s a reason chicken soup is called “Jewish Penicillin.” It’s a miraculous health tonic, and one I use to toast my grandmothers -and grandmothers everywhere- with every cup. Here’s to your Bubbe! TO MAKE BONE BROTH, YOU WILL NEED: ● 3-6 pounds (depending on the size of your slow cooker) meaty bones from free-range, organic poultry, beef or lamb, OR the leftover carcass from a roast chicken or turkey, OR chicken/turkey feet. (If you use large bones, ask your butcher/farmer to split them first to expose the marrow. If you use feet, ask for pre-cleaned ones) ● ¼ (for 3 lbs bones) to ½ cup (for 6 lbs bones) apple cider vinegar ● 1-2 Tablespoon Himalayan or sea salt ● 2 onions, quartered (you can leave the skin on) ● Several cloves of garlic (chopped, but include the skin) ● 5-7 slices of dried astragalus root (optional, supports immune health) ● 4 celery ribs cut in large chunks (you can keep the leaves on) ● 2 carrots, cut in chunks (skin on) ● A handful of herbs like rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme (or add star anise, chili, and lemongrass for a more Pho-like flavor. If using lemongrass, add it with the parsley) ● 1 bunch parsley Directions: 1. If you’re starting with raw bones, roast them at 350 for 20 minutes (this makes the soup taste amazing!). If you’re using chicken feet, rinse them and remove any brown spots from the bottom of the feet (use your fingers or the edge of a knife). 2. Put everything except for the herbs in a slow-cooker or pot on the stove, cover with water, and let it sit for an hour to help the vinegar leach the minerals from the bones. 3. Bring to a boil, skim off the scum, and reduce the temperature to low. 4. Add herbs (except parsley and/or lemongrass) and cook for 24-48 hours. 5. 10 minutes before straining, add the parsley and/or lemongrass. 6. Let the broth cool and strain it through a sieve, making sure all the marrow is knocked out of the bones and into the broth. 7. Add more salt to taste and drink the broth as is or store in fridge up to 5 to 7 days. or freezer up to 6 months. To freeze, fill half pint or pint jars to within 1⁄2 inch from the top of the jar, cap, label, and freeze. The next time you make a pot of soup, stew, or rice, add one of these jars in place of water. Congratulations - you have created a meal that will bring optimal health and wellness! As we say, “May the food you eat fill your body with nourishment, sustain you throughout your day, and help you to do good work in the world. May you be grateful; may you be blessed. Aho.” Copyright 2018 Jessica LaBrie, Blackbird’s Daughter Botanicals. Please do not copy, reproduce, or share without permission

Smiley_emoticons_stumm
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-26-2020, 12:33 PM)cannongal Wrote:

This is the recipe I used for my guide:

BONE BROTH - easy, healthy, inexpensive, and delicious- is one of those ancient recipes that requires an old-fashioned mix of patience, steady heat, and the willingness to acknowledge that meat comes from animals. This is a simple fact, but an often uncomfortable one. The more we “modern” humans distance ourselves from our roots as scavenger-hunter-digger-gatherers, the more grossed out we get at the nitty-gritty viscera of bodies. And while some of us eschew animal products all together, it’s important to examine why and how we consume living beings, so we can do it in as mindful and ethical a way as possible. For me, making and drinking bone broth is a way to honor the animals I’m eating, my body, and my ancestors. The alchemy of turning an otherwise inedible (and thus less expensive) part of an animal into nutritious nourishment pleases my frugal DIY nature. Using chicken feet and cow joints (my two favorite, collagen-rich bases for bone broth) forces me to learn about our shared anatomy in a way that eating pre-packaged food doesn’t; it gives me a chance to thank them and honor the tangible nature of the sacrifices my omnivorous diet demands. I’m convinced that more effort goes into sanitizing the concept of inhumanely-raised meat than goes toward care of the actual animals - it’s economically impossible for an animal to be raised and slaughtered with dignity and kindness if the pristinely plastic-wrapped end result costs $3.99 a pound. Taking care of animals is expensive! However, bones, feet, tails, etc from free-range, well-treated animals cost less than “choice” cuts of meat, and you can get them in bulk from local farmers and butchers. This encourages ethical farming practices and keeps money in our communities. And a few pounds of bones will yield many servings of soup, so it stretches your money further. A staple in most high-end restaurants (did I mention it’s delicious?), bone broth has also been shown to help heal the lining of the GI tract, improve mood and brain function, strengthen teeth and bones, improve skin and joint elasticity, and help the body heal from all sorts of diseases, including ulcers, infections, food-related allergies, diabetes, stiff joints, tuberculosis, and even cancer. When I drink bone broth my formerly weak nails grow long and strong, my hair grows faster, I have more energy, think more clearly, my digestion and immunity improves, and my joints don’t hurt. This is because slow-cooking bones with a little bit of vinegar breaks them down to release collagen and gelatin, minerals like calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium, trace minerals, amino acids like glycine (which energizes cells), and glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid, which our bodies then turn into healthy joints, skin, hair, teeth, and nails. By adding in herbs and vegetables, we get the vitamins we need, in a form our bodies recognize as food. Finally, drinking broth connects me with my ancestors. Soup made from bones and vegetable scraps is a part of my heritage. Flavored with immune-supportive herbs like garlic and onions and rich with vitamins and minerals, there’s a reason chicken soup is called “Jewish Penicillin.” It’s a miraculous health tonic, and one I use to toast my grandmothers -and grandmothers everywhere- with every cup. Here’s to your Bubbe! TO MAKE BONE BROTH, YOU WILL NEED: ● 3-6 pounds (depending on the size of your slow cooker) meaty bones from free-range, organic poultry, beef or lamb, OR the leftover carcass from a roast chicken or turkey, OR chicken/turkey feet. (If you use large bones, ask your butcher/farmer to split them first to expose the marrow. If you use feet, ask for pre-cleaned ones) ● ¼ (for 3 lbs bones) to ½ cup (for 6 lbs bones) apple cider vinegar ● 1-2 Tablespoon Himalayan or sea salt ● 2 onions, quartered (you can leave the skin on) ● Several cloves of garlic (chopped, but include the skin) ● 5-7 slices of dried astragalus root (optional, supports immune health) ● 4 celery ribs cut in large chunks (you can keep the leaves on) ● 2 carrots, cut in chunks (skin on) ● A handful of herbs like rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme (or add star anise, chili, and lemongrass for a more Pho-like flavor. If using lemongrass, add it with the parsley) ● 1 bunch parsley Directions: 1. If you’re starting with raw bones, roast them at 350 for 20 minutes (this makes the soup taste amazing!). If you’re using chicken feet, rinse them and remove any brown spots from the bottom of the feet (use your fingers or the edge of a knife). 2. Put everything except for the herbs in a slow-cooker or pot on the stove, cover with water, and let it sit for an hour to help the vinegar leach the minerals from the bones. 3. Bring to a boil, skim off the scum, and reduce the temperature to low. 4. Add herbs (except parsley and/or lemongrass) and cook for 24-48 hours. 5. 10 minutes before straining, add the parsley and/or lemongrass. 6. Let the broth cool and strain it through a sieve, making sure all the marrow is knocked out of the bones and into the broth. 7. Add more salt to taste and drink the broth as is or store in fridge up to 5 to 7 days. or freezer up to 6 months. To freeze, fill half pint or pint jars to within 1⁄2 inch from the top of the jar, cap, label, and freeze. The next time you make a pot of soup, stew, or rice, add one of these jars in place of water. Congratulations - you have created a meal that will bring optimal health and wellness! As we say, “May the food you eat fill your body with nourishment, sustain you throughout your day, and help you to do good work in the world. May you be grateful; may you be blessed. Aho.” Copyright 2018 Jessica LaBrie, Blackbird’s Daughter Botanicals. Please do not copy, reproduce, or share without permission

My own Bone broth consists of Marrow bones,  onion, carrots and whatever seasonings I have on hand.  It is a basic soup stock
let it simmer on low for 2 days
I'm glad to see you kids interested in something fun rather than death & dying. Good job.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i'm making hard boiled eggs in the instapot supposedly the shells don't stick.
(03-25-2020, 09:37 PM)MirahM Wrote: Two of Mock's favorite things! Crock and Pot!

Do you use a crock pot? What do you make in it?

I just picked up a very small 2 qt size crock pot. I don't know if that was a worthless purchase, but it was just $10. I despise crock pots, but I love when other people make soups and stuff in them.

I am going to try it out this weekend.

I use the crock pot a couple of times a week.  Mostly for beef and pork roasts.  They just fall apart after a few hours -- really good.

We don't really like to eat the same thing several days in a row, but those are foods that you can eat stand-alone one day, then use for tacos or burritos or enchiladas, then stew... 

If there's too much and we get tired of it, it's easy to freeze for later.
A crock pot is the Martha Stuart of kitchen tools.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Out of that whole long post from Cannongal, this is the actual recipe. It is one of my pet peeves to have to read through so much story telling just to get to a recipe or how to.

¼ (for 3 lbs bones) to ½ cup (for 6 lbs bones) apple cider vinegar ● 1-2 Tablespoon Himalayan or sea salt ● 2 onions, quartered (you can leave the skin on) ● Several cloves of garlic (chopped, but include the skin) ● 5-7 slices of dried astragalus root (optional, supports immune health) ● 4 celery ribs cut in large chunks (you can keep the leaves on) ● 2 carrots, cut in chunks (skin on) ● A handful of herbs like rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme (or add star anise, chili, and lemongrass for a more Pho-like flavor. If using lemongrass, add it with the parsley) ● 1 bunch parsley Directions: 1. If you’re starting with raw bones, roast them at 350 for 20 minutes (this makes the soup taste amazing!). If you’re using chicken feet, rinse them and remove any brown spots from the bottom of the feet (use your fingers or the edge of a knife). 2. Put everything except for the herbs in a slow-cooker or pot on the stove, cover with water, and let it sit for an hour to help the vinegar leach the minerals from the bones. 3. Bring to a boil, skim off the scum, and reduce the temperature to low. 4. Add herbs (except parsley and/or lemongrass) and cook for 24-48 hours. 5. 10 minutes before straining, add the parsley and/or lemongrass. 6. Let the broth cool and strain it through a sieve, making sure all the marrow is knocked out of the bones and into the broth. 7. Add more salt to taste and drink the broth as is or store in fridge up to 5 to 7 days. or freezer up to 6 months. To freeze, fill half pint or pint jars to within 1⁄2 inch from the top of the jar, cap, label, and freeze. The next time you make a pot of soup, stew, or rice, add one of these jars in place of water.

(03-26-2020, 05:39 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I use the crock pot a couple of times a week.  Mostly for beef and pork roasts.  They just fall apart after a few hours -- really good.

We don't really like to eat the same thing several days in a row, but those are foods that you can eat stand-alone one day, then use for tacos or burritos or enchiladas, then stew... 

If there's too much and we get tired of it, it's easy to freeze for later.

Thank you for the ideas!

I've actually used my crockpot as a chafing pan.    The old crockpots had 2 settings,   low and high.    The new crockpots have a 'warm' setting as well.   I've made things on the stove or in the oven,  then threw it in the crock on warm.  Keeps food hot all afternoon and the kids just grab a bowl when they get hungry. 

Things that cook well in a crock:
Pot roast 
Sweet and sour kielbasa or meatballs 
Swedish meatballs 
Pulled pork or chicken 
Almost any type of soup 
Beef stew
(03-26-2020, 07:22 PM)MirahM Wrote: Out of that whole long post from Cannongal, this is the actual recipe. It is one of my pet peeves to have to read through so much story telling just to get to a recipe or how to.

Hey,  I had a fucking migraine earlier,   I'm lucky that I was able to copy and paste.    You should thank me for keeping your little brain occupied for 5 minutes.
I use my crock pot often and I make bone broth often. I do many many things often.