ARE FUNERALS FREAKY?
I think there's something odd about people going by an open casket and pausing to pay their respects. It's not the act of paying respect, it's the fact there's a dead person on display. Is that weird to anyone else?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I hate funerals.    I always say stupid shit.    I also hate looking at dead bodies.     My mother threw in in a casket once when I was little.    I didn't want to go near the damn body, and she just picked me up and threw me in.  I had nightmares for months afterwards.
(04-25-2020, 06:09 PM)cannongal Wrote: I hate funerals.    I always say stupid shit.    I also hate looking at dead bodies.     My mother threw in in a casket once when I was little.    I didn't want to go near the damn body, and she just picked me up and threw me in.  I had nightmares for months afterwards.

Smiley_emoticons_shocked
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Actually, when I was around 14 or 15, I lived in LI, NY.  Our house was next to a big 10 room house on the corner,
that was on a main street, and was on an extra large lot.  (It was sold.)

Well low and behold, the new owner, was a funeral director and he turned (remodeled) it into a funeral home.

One day I was washing our family car in our driveway, when the funeral director who was adding signs on
the newly built parking lot, and when he saw me came over to me and asked if I wanted to earn some money.

Sure I said. I took the job. Little did I know what I would have to do.

The home closed at 9pm. I had to go over there after closing (I had the key) and perform janitorial duties.
Sweep the floors, empty the ash trays, straighten out the chairs, restock the bathrooms, dust the table tops,

AND DUST OFF THE COFFINS, making sure not to hit the bodies, as most were open coffins!!!

Surprisingly, it really didn't bother me, (today it would) even though it was a little eerie! The bodies looked so peaceful!

My dad had an open casket funeral because that's what his parents wanted. It was really weird, I wanted to shut the casket when I first got to the funeral home before everyone else got there. I didn't think that was what he would have wanted. But in the end it wasn't too bad, everyone went around and gave him a hug and somehow it didnt feel awkward even though it was awkward.
funerals are for the living
I've never seen a dead human body, the few funerals I've gone to were closed casket. I think the whole thing is really morbid, I can accept that someone has died without some weird religious ceremony and an overpriced casket.

I'm not crazy about weddings either.
Sally, the flaming asshole of MockForums
[Image: xzwbrP0.png]
I didnt have a wedding and I'm not having a funeral either. I hugged my mom and cried for about a half hour after she died. The stupid fucking hospice assholes wouldnt leave me alone with her either to say my goodbyes and it was pissing me the fuck off.
When I was about 7 there was a bad car accident and someones liver was laying in the gutter, it was outside the petshop that had piranhas.
Jesus.
The piranha detail was a nice touch. Weird what your brain remembers from so long ago.
I still have it in a shoebox in the garage, I call it Fred.
Your brain?
Fava beans
(04-25-2020, 09:25 PM)sally Wrote: The stupid fucking hospice assholes wouldnt leave me alone with her either to say my goodbyes and it was pissing me the fuck off.

I remember that! Those hospice bitches really needed a lesson in how to deal with the family of those who were deathly sick because they sucked ass. I can remember feeling so pissed off for you. They could have made an awful experience a little better with some fricken understanding.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Back at the turn of the century and before people would take pictures of the dead sitting in a chair, peeling an apple, holding a cane all kinds of stupid stuff, Children would be pushing a stroller, holding a toy, all kinds of weird stuff. Funerals were held in the houses people died in and sometimes it was a big party like in New Orleans. I have some pictures of an old lady in a casket all different views in a box with a bunch of other pictures I found when i was cleaning out old houses. 

It's weird today but that's what people did. Time changes things and in today's world quite a few things once thought normal are not anymore. Many people have open casket now and after the show they are cremated. I would rather live on memories and seeing them dead is not the last one I want to remember.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Back when the ex and I were stationed at Ft Benning,  one of our neighbors had a stillborn.    She had an open casket,   and took tons of photos of the infant in the casket.   She then had those photos blown up to poster size and hung them all over her house.    I got creeped out every time I went over there.   I don't know how her and her husband could look at poster sized pics of a dead infant day in and day out.
I think funerals are kinda freaky by nature in the culture of our country.

For me, cremation and a short 'celebration of life' memorial is preferable.

But, I go to open-casket funerals and pay my respects to the family when that's what works for them.
(04-26-2020, 01:33 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I think funerals are kinda freaky by nature in the culture of our country.

For me, cremation and a short 'celebration of life' memorial is preferable.

But, I go to open-casket funerals and pay my respects to the family when that's what works for them.

Back in the day when I was working in the funeral home, the average wake was 3 days long, some even longer.
(Thus, on the second, third or fourth day "dusting" off the coffins was required)

Weirdest funeral I ever went to was an 18 year old girl who overdosed on drugs. She was the daughter of a friend of my dad and I knew her since she was a little kid. She had naturally straight jet black hair and it the coffin her hair was platinum blonde and appeared to be permed. The mother kept fixing her hair and telling her two sons to stop hugging her because they were messing it up.