Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The UK; a nation of drunkards in training
While doing my laundry today I came across this magazine titled; The Week. It was from November of '07, but I found this article....interesting. It isn't really long, so instead of going through some fucked up tedious search on the web for the original article, I'm just going to type it out.

It was in the Best columns: Europe section of this magazine.

A Nation of drunkards in training
by Alice Thomson
The Times

We all know that Brits drink too much, said Alice Thomson in the London Times. What we're only just realizing, though, is that we start out boozing at an astonishingly early age. More than one-third of 14-year-olds say they have been drunk at least once in the past few weeks - girls as well as boys, rich kids as well as poor ones. We have made it far too easy for them to get alcohol. It is cheap - anyone can buy "a six-pack for the price of a Starbucks hot chocolate."

And thanks to the "reforms" of the past decade it is available around the clock. In the past two years alone, thousands of liquor licenses have been awarded to "24-hour shops, supermarkets, hotels, pubs and clubs."

The government told us that by abolishing the 11 p.m. "last call" would give us a "continental cafe culture." Alas, 24-hour drinking "has not turned us into sophisticated French imbibers." It has left us with pools of vomit in the streets and a sharp rise in cirrhosis of the liver. Cutting back the hours pubs may operate wouldn't immediately curb under-age drinking - after all, most young kids are not even up that late. But it would at least "signal to children that adults are worried about the drinking culture."
LIES I tell you! All lies!

How can you take the word of The Week, The London Times and most of all this Alice Thomson woman?

You really should have consulted the Ordinary Pervert first, Sinister. I mean he's the ONLY one who has accurate information on anyone and anything. After all he says so time and again so it must be true.

Truly, I mean they must have this backward! I think it's America that has 247 drinking establishments and vendors where kids can purchase liquor and a six pack! It can't possibly be the UK! ::bs::
The Antagonist Wrote:LIES I tell you! All lies!

How can you take the word of The Week, The London Times and most of all this Alice Thomson woman?

You really should have consulted the Ordinary Pervert first, Sinister. I mean he's the ONLY one who has accurate information on anyone and anything. After all he says so time and again so it must be true.

Truly, I mean they must have this backward! I think it's America that has 247 drinking establishments and vendors where kids can purchase liquor and a six pack! It can't possibly be the UK! ::bs::
I bought beer and cigs when I was 12..........wait I was6 yrs old buying that crap for my parents back in the day.............fucking flashbacks! And I got busted for stealing blackjack gum. This thread has opened a big can of worms..........I hate you all.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Did we have the same parents?

Lark cigs and Schlitz beer! ::lmao:: Sometimes Rhinegold, Pabst Blue Ribbon.....

ah the memories of childhood......

Larks, Lucky's, Pall Mall's, Parliament (*ironic we smoked PARLIAMENT! ::lmao:Smiley_emoticons_smile
I could not send my kid to the store to P.U. a loaf of bread these days........so fuckin sad that they will miss out on that part of childhood responsibility today.[Image: 36_1_46.gif]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Sinister Wrote:While doing my laundry today I came across this magazine titled; The Week. It was from November of '07, but I found this article....interesting. It isn't really long, so instead of going through some fucked up tedious search on the web for the original article, I'm just going to type it out.

It was in the Best columns: Europe section of this magazine.

A Nation of drunkards in training
by Alice Thomson
The Times

We all know that Brits drink too much, said Alice Thomson in the London Times. What we're only just realizing, though, is that we start out boozing at an astonishingly early age. More than one-third of 14-year-olds say they have been drunk at least once in the past few weeks - girls as well as boys, rich kids as well as poor ones. We have made it far too easy for them to get alcohol. It is cheap - anyone can buy "a six-pack for the price of a Starbucks hot chocolate."

And thanks to the "reforms" of the past decade it is available around the clock. In the past two years alone, thousands of liquor licenses have been awarded to "24-hour shops, supermarkets, hotels, pubs and clubs."

The government told us that by abolishing the 11 p.m. "last call" would give us a "continental cafe culture." Alas, 24-hour drinking "has not turned us into sophisticated French imbibers." It has left us with pools of vomit in the streets and a sharp rise in cirrhosis of the liver. Cutting back the hours pubs may operate wouldn't immediately curb under-age drinking - after all, most young kids are not even up that late. But it would at least "signal to children that adults are worried about the drinking culture."

Yeah we drink too much.

You septics are way ahead of us however in the crack, crystal meth, and cocaine business though.

Hows that war on "drugs" going ?

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Maggot Wrote:I could not send my kid to the store to P.U. a loaf of bread these days........so fuckin sad that they will miss out on that part of childhood responsibility today.[Image: 36_1_46.gif]

But you CAN send your kid to the corner to buy your weed for you these days......so fuckin great that they will not miss out on that part of childhood responsibility today.
Liquid Wrote:
Maggot Wrote:I could not send my kid to the store to P.U. a loaf of bread these days........so fuckin sad that they will miss out on that part of childhood responsibility today.[Image: 36_1_46.gif]

But you CAN send your kid to the corner to buy your weed for you these days......so fuckin great that they will not miss out on that part of childhood responsibility today.
::laugh::
86 112