Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitbull kills toddler.......yet again.
A five year old boy was mauled to death by a pitbull in the early hours of Monday, his Grandmother received injuries trying to stop the animal. The dog was later destroyed by armed police officers in the front garden of the scene.

Three years ago a five year girl was killed......by a pitbull just five miles away from this latest incident, residents have said they live in fear and have made numerous complaints about dangerous dogs roaming the area. Some residents are scared of taking their own dogs out for a walk in fear of being attacked.

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/u...dog_attack
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Yet again, as sad as the story is, it's not the fault of the breed.
OP is into blaming objects and things other than people. For example, he demonizes personal firearms.
86 112
more on this story from BBC. in England dogs deemed dangerous breeds are banned/illegal.
link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/uk...387101.stm >

One thing I will say though is that, all things being equal in terms of the people factor and upbringing, I think those dogs do pose an extra danger in the sense that their bite is so extremely powerful. It can take a few adults to get one off and the kill/damage/time equation with them makes it a more dangerous event should something happen.
86 112
(11-30-2009, 03:24 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: OP is into blaming objects and things other than people. For example, he demonizes personal firearms.

I blame objects that are illegal yes, like illegal breeds of dog like the American Pitbull are illegal.

Nobody pointed this "object" and fired it at the child, the dog may or may not have had a responsible owner but the dog was 100% responsible for this childs death, that's why the police shot it because it was still running wild when they arrived.

Certain breeds of pitbull are like Jack Russells, they have a habit of suddenly "turning" on owners or the owners family or friends they are familiar with. 10 years of happy/trouble free ownership then for no reason whatsoever - CHOMP!
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I'm not sure you should venture outside of your specialty (ass hamsters) but good luck.
86 112
(11-30-2009, 04:49 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: Certain breeds of pitbull are like Jack Russells, they have a habit of suddenly "turning" on owners or the owners family or friends they are familiar with. 10 years of happy/trouble free ownership then for no reason whatsoever - CHOMP!

Fuck.

I'm actually starting to change my mind about 'pit bulls'.

Here's the thing. I have worked with dogs all of my life. I know for a fact that with very rare exceptions, a dog truly does become 'good or bad' based on the actions of its owners throughout its life. The number of 'bad' dangerous dogs is actually quite small... however the fact is, that it's impossible to control the way dogs are raised and people continue to create vicious animals. Now, that's not such a big deal when the animal is a chihuahua, but when it's a pit bull, that's a problem.

I do not think that pit bulls (or any other breed) should be rounded up and exterminated, but I'm starting to think that there should be a ban on breeding them (and other breeds which commonly are responsible for human deaths), which would essentially wipe them out within the next 15 years or so without 'harming' any dog.

I hate to come to that conclusion, but it's starting to weigh on my mind.
All dogs have positive and negative traits in their temperament. Some of the negative traits are not always due to the owner. I had a german shepard that was so vicious that we had to lock her up when guests came, we didn't train her to be a guard dog and she was that way despite trying to socialize her as a puppy with other people and animals.

I have a pit bull now and have noticed that she is wary of her surroundings and has an intense prey drive. She is very lovable and friendly towards children, but I would never allow her to roam around the streets freely or leave her with a small child. I don't think the breed should be exterminated, but I think people should have a license to breed them or even buy them.
(11-30-2009, 08:05 PM)sally Wrote: I don't think the breed should be exterminated, but I think people should have a license to breed them or even buy them.

I considered that possibility before I wrote the post, and it's not like I think I have any effect on the word with my opinions either, but honestly I'm wondering if requiring 'licenses' would make any difference. Perhaps if the licenses were expensive... but even then it wouldn't keep many of the unsavory types of humans from owning them.

I would love to see statistics on the type of people who OWNED dogs involved in human fatalities. I still believe that fatalities must have more to do with irresponsible ownership than with the dogs themselves. For example, you mention your aggressive GSD, but you were responsible with your ownership of her. However, it's unfortunate that some of the least responsible people are the ones who gravitate toward the 'dangerous' breeds. I don't know how that particular factor could be controlled.
The majority of these breeds of dog are not bought as pets, they are bought as fashion acessories or status symbols used mainly to intimidate, "the old hard dog must have a hard owner" syndrome.
The dog in this incident was an illegal pit bull breed tests have confirmed.

The owner could face two years in jail for allowing his illegal dog to injure (or in this case kill) another.

The police had intelligence that the address was reported to be breeding illegal dogs, tragically too late for the little boy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merse...389013.stm
The uncle of the dead boy has been apprehended by police and he could face charges of manslaughter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merse...392842.stm
(12-01-2009, 11:28 AM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: The majority of these breeds of dog are not bought as pets, they are bought as fashion acessories or status symbols used mainly to intimidate, "the old hard dog must have a hard owner" syndrome.

I have owned Rotties for about 16-17 years and it saddens me that they have a bad reputation. They really are NOT the monsters that they are painted.
My dog is a total wimp.... and no it doesn't bother me, I bought a Rottie because I love the breed not because of the reputation that they have.

Sometimes I think it's the bloody kids that should be put on a lead because they can be right little fuckers poking and prodding 36
I would stop eating chocolate.. but I'm not a quitter!

:B
My family has raised Jack Russels for years, and we've never had a single one get vicious against its owners. Several that WILL turn on you if you torment them (FM said it quite well, some little bastards just wont leave the dogs alone!), but that is natural and proper to me. Also my Mom's current JR is very very protective of her and has a short temper. But he also LISTENS. If one of the family tells him "down!" he leaves off and goes to lay down. Unless of course you keep tormenting him, then you deserve to get bit.
I've seen kids pull and poke dogs around load of times. My daughter used to dress our female Rottie up in her clothes. She would even the paint the fucking dogs toe nails for gods sake.

Like I said before it's not always the dogs fault so when I do hear about stories like this I always wonder.... what the fuck was the kid doing prior to the dog attacking.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of "bad" dogs out there... but MOST of the time, you're going to be looking at an Animal that was abused in some way shape or form as the root cause of it being a "bad" dog.
(12-10-2009, 04:48 PM)D Wrote: Yeah, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of "bad" dogs out there... but MOST of the time, you're going to be looking at an Animal that was abused in some way shape or form as the root cause of it being a "bad" dog.

The problem we have here are the teenage dickheads who think it's cool to have a staffie or staffie/pit cross type of dog because they think they look hard.
Staffs are actually fantastic dogs to have around kids its just the fucking dickheads that own them that don't have a clue.

Saying that I am a bit wary about certain dogs that have a lock jaw like bull terriers only because years ago and English bull terrier attacked one of my Rotts and the other dogs owner had to literally stamp on his own dogs head to make him release my puppy.... that wasn't nice to watch.

I've had to separate fighting Jack Russels, so I know what you mean. They're VERY territorial. Which, when you get two males together around a female in heat... or worse 3+ females in heat... they get nuts with each other lol.
I've said this already, but it makes me sad that I'm actually starting to change camps on the 'dangerous breeds' issue. It's not, to my mind, that the dogs themselves are actually any more 'vicious' than any other breed, it's the problem that when the dogs ARE mishandled and DO become vicious, they're simply far more dangerous than other breeds. I would hate to see noble breeds banned into extinction, but I predict it will eventually happen.