Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP/Compaq - 'Our Reasons are CONFIDENTIAL'
So, I recently applied to HP for my repair shop to become a 'partner'. I did this more or less on a whim, and didn't really expect to be accepted since my operation is fairly small. What I DID expect, was a polite rejection, explaining the reason for the rejection, and possibly a recommendation to instead sign up as a VAR (Value Added Reseller) of HP products (as I have done with several other 'major brand names' of computer products).

As anticipated, I got a rejection letter, which basically thanked me for my interest and politely informed me that my 'business model does not meet HP's strategic business needs'. Fine. I sent a brief, polite reply asking the reason for the rejection. What I did NOT expect, was the response, basically telling me that the reason for my rejection was CONFIDENTIAL, and to hey, 'please don't ask again'. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch WTF?

Here is their reply and my response to it, (bold/emphasis not mine - obviously, I removed my actual name and company info for the purpose of posting here):

Syber Wrote:
HP Wrote:
Syber Wrote:Subject: Re: HP Partner Agreement Not Approved - Computer Chick

Thank you for your consideration.

May I ask what the deciding factor was in denying my application? I would like to suggest that qualification requirements should be posted somewhere, so businesses like mine do not waste our time with the application process, and waiting for a response.

Thank you,

[company info removed]

Thank you for contacting the HP Partner Contracts & Compliance Group.

These are the basic requirements to apply for the HP US PARTNER AGREEMENT, although fulfilling these does not necessarily guarantee approval:

* Partners must be incorporated in the United States.
* Partners must conduct business within the United States.
* Partners must have a valid company website and physical address where company operates.
* Application must be completed by an officer authorized to sign on behalf of the legal company.

HP assesses all HP US PARTNER AGREEMENT applications and business models. As per our evaluation, your business model does not meet HP business requirements to become a HP authorized reseller.

Please note that the reasons for rejection are HP confidential and cannot be disclosed; we request that you do not respond to this e-mail asking for assistance in improving your application or the reasons it was not accepted.

However, you are still eligible to purchase and resell HP Open Distribution Products like printers, print supplies, PDA’s, etc., available from any of the HP Authorized Distributors.

We invite you to modify you business plan and reapply at any time through the Partner Portal.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

[Name Removed]
Authorized HP Contracts & Compliance Support

SPO Americas Sales Operations

"Please note that the reasons for rejection are HP confidential and cannot be disclosed; we request that you do not respond to this e-mail asking for assistance in improving your application or the reasons it was not accepted."

Wow... that is more than a little bizarre. What a rude and pretentious thing to say. You know, I can totally understand being rejected because my business is a Sole Proprietorship instead of a Corporation, as listed in your requirements below. That is understandable to a degree, even to simply state that my company's income levels do not meant a minimum requirement, but to say that 'reasons for rejection are confidential'?? And to 'request' that I not respond to the statement?? Basically, this email takes such a stance as to make a person feel quite offended with the outcome, when that could be easily avoided by simply stating a reason for rejection. What a horrible way to handle prospective clients!

Whereas I would have otherwise been satisfied with a simple response, I am now offended at the pompous attitude taken toward me as a 'rejected' partner. The tone of the email automatically puts me on the defensive and further implies that HP has something 'against' my company in particular, otherwise, what would be the issue with giving a straight answer?

Then to tell that I'm still welcome to BUY HP products?? Seriously? Is Mark Hurd aware of the way rejections are handled? Well, if not, he is now.

You can be sure that this bizarre response to my inquiry will be shared with my customer base and that I will strongly keep it in consideration when I am asked about my opinions of HP/Compaq products in the future.

Sincerely,

[company info removed]

I forwarded my response and the entire email to the Board of Directors, as well as the CEO.

Does anyone else think that telling you it's none of your business why you were rejected is kind of insane?
I'm using an HP Pavilion right now. Sorry, Syber.
Don't fight the evil empire.
(01-04-2010, 05:46 PM)LuMPyPussy Wrote: I'm using an HP Pavilion right now. Sorry, Syber.

That's ok, it'll crap out on you and they'll send me to 'fix' it.

muahahahahah
(01-04-2010, 05:49 PM)twisteroo Wrote: Don't fight the evil empire.

Apparently! WTF?
(01-04-2010, 05:31 PM)SyberBitch Wrote: I forwarded my response and the entire email to the Board of Directors, as well as the CEO.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Sadly, I got the exact same thing about a year ago when I responded. My reaction was the exact same as yours. WHAT THE FUCK?

But I just said piss on them and stopped recommending them to my customers. Smiley_emoticons_razz
I'm actually wondering if its some sort of breach of some code or something. I'm considering contacting the Better Business Bureau and all that. The main thing pissing me off about their response, was this whole 'we don't have to tell you why and STFU about it, you worthless piece of shit' attitude.

It gives me the impression that they don't want to hear from me ever again, regardless of how successful my business might become at a future date. Like I'm frigging 'blacklisted' or something (which is ridiculous since this is my first contact with them). Obviously not, since D got the same runaround, but who treats a potential client like that?? Hell, even Microsoft has more tact.

Is it even legal for a business to deny someone's application (for whatever) and refuse to give them the reason?
(01-04-2010, 11:46 PM)SyberBitch Wrote: Is it even legal for a business to deny someone's application (for whatever) and refuse to give them the reason?

Unfortunately yes.
(01-05-2010, 10:42 AM)D Wrote:
(01-04-2010, 11:46 PM)SyberBitch Wrote: Is it even legal for a business to deny someone's application (for whatever) and refuse to give them the reason?

Unfortunately yes.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm going to look into it.
(01-05-2010, 12:03 PM)SyberBitch Wrote:
(01-05-2010, 10:42 AM)D Wrote:

Unfortunately yes.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm going to look into it.

It is, they have no legal obligation to disclose how they pick and choose.
I think they're covering their asses. The less they tell you about WHY they didn't accept you, the less chance they have of any kind of lawsuit or attempt at recourse on your part. You can't, for example, claim that they rejected you because your business is owned by a woman because they haven't given you shit for a reason. Despite pissing you off, it's not to their benefit to disclose any more than they absolutely have to.
Commando Cunt Queen
I think they just want to make sure you're a fully incorporated business. It doesn't matter if you're a sole proprietorship as long as it's fully incorporated and insured and you are a registered tax paying business.

If you already are - they're being shits. If you are not, I'm betting that's why and they need you to be to cover their asses when sending anything to you. If anything goes wrong and someone sues, they want to make sure you're "legal" so you can take the heat along with them.
(01-05-2010, 03:42 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: I think they just want to make sure you're a fully incorporated business. It doesn't matter if you're a sole proprietorship as long as it's fully incorporated and insured and you are a registered tax paying business.

If you already are - they're being shits. If you are not, I'm betting that's why and they need you to be to cover their asses when sending anything to you. If anything goes wrong and someone sues, they want to make sure you're "legal" so you can take the heat along with them.

Sole Proprietor/Incorporated - two different things, Ant.

I have a legal business entity with its own tax ID #, DUNS #, etc., but I am not a 'corporation', I'm a Sole Proprietor.

As I said, I could totally understand if they denied my application based on the fact that I'm not a 'corporation', but they could have just STATED that. The fact that they did not, makes it appear that even if I were to incorporate, they would not be interested in being a partner with me and have no interest in having me apply in the future. It's just... weird.
But they did invite you to apply again:

Quote:We invite you to modify you business plan and reapply at any time through the Partner Portal.

I had a sole propriatorship and incorporated my farm, I was under the impression they were one and the same.

What if you were to get an LLC? It's pretty risky doing business without being incorporated in some way and having the insurance to help keep you safe from lawsuits. I made sure because I wound up getting sued twice by morons who thought they were going to milk me for tons of money. Let's just say they took the lesser compromise! fuckers.

I agree, it's pretty shitty of them to deny you a reason and if it were me, I'd be pushing like hell for the reason. I think the clue is in the list though - the first and last reasons I'm betting were the cause of denial.
Quote:* Partners must be incorporated in the United States.
* Partners must have a valid company website and physical address where company operates.
* Application must be completed by an officer authorized to sign on behalf of the legal company.
(01-06-2010, 12:10 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: But they did invite you to apply again:

Quote:We invite you to modify you business plan and reapply at any time through the Partner Portal.

I missed that. 50 I still think it's odd the way it was worded though.

Ant Wrote:I had a sole propriatorship and incorporated my farm, I was under the impression they were one and the same.

No. As you probably already know, Sole Prop means that there is a single owner who essentially takes full responsibility for the company.

Ant Wrote:What if you were to get an LLC? It's pretty risky doing business without being incorporated in some way and having the insurance to help keep you safe from lawsuits. I made sure because I wound up getting sued twice by morons who thought they were going to milk me for tons of money. Let's just say they took the lesser compromise! fuckers.

I will probably move into an LLC eventually, but I have not yet, mostly due to the cost involved in WV. I'm not too worried about getting sued, honestly. I realize that it doesn't mean THAT much, but I do have people sign a Terms of Agreement and Liability form before I work on their computers. I've had few disgruntled customers, but when I do run across them, it always turns out they are just trying to rip me off, since I go out of my way to satisfy my honest customers.

Ant Wrote:I agree, it's pretty shitty of them to deny you a reason and if it were me, I'd be pushing like hell for the reason.

Yes, exactly. As a business owner, how could they expect less from me? What business owner would just shrug and say 'Oh well' and not even try to look into the reason for the denial? As I've already said, I didn't expect to be approved anyway, but the way it was handled just pissed me off.

Ant Wrote:I think the clue is in the list though - the first and last reasons I'm betting were the cause of denial.
Quote:* Partners must be incorporated in the United States.

The first one yes, and they SHOULD have just stated it was because my business was not incorporated. The last one is not applicable because as 'Owner', I am the legal officer authorized to sign for my company.

Thanks for your feedback. Smiley_emoticons_smile
Syber, even though I was insured and inc'd I had my customers sign a hold harmless agreement. I had pony rides for awhile and those I contracted to do rides on a regular basis made me sign the same and vice versa.

I also had those paying 'per ride' for their kid sign the form as well. (this was due to the new laws regarding lawsuits that I helped get enacted here in NJ) but it honestly didn't' matter if these were signed, legal and agreed upon by all parties involved. I found they are totally useless and you can be sued regardless.

If you own your own home, they can use that as part of the settlement too if you're sued but not incorporated. It's tricky language, tricky bullshit and even though things are designed to CYA, these fuckers find ways around it. But without that corporate umbrella, you're completely fucked.

WVA cannot be more litigious than NJ! No way. I was nervous every time I had to go work.
I believe an LLC shields your personal assets from being sued, but perhaps not as much as an INC would.
86 112
It does Frank.
(01-04-2010, 11:46 PM)SyberBitch Wrote: I'm considering contacting the Better Business Bureau and all that.

People call the BBB on us all the time for ridiculous shit, we have some real wacko customers lol. Anyway, send the BBB a letter and they will forward it to HP. If HP does not respond indicating their posistion then they will be listed as a failure to provide a response to a customer complaint and the BBB will give you a list of other agencies that may be of assistance.