Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
death by wildlife
a man was killed by a grizzly while walking in daytime recently at Yellowstone, now another. this man fatally attacked in his tent at night. waiting for details and species of bear.

Bear Kills 1 Person, Injures 2 Others at Campground Near Yellowstone

HELENA, Mont.

Montana wildlife officials say one person was killed and two others were injured in a bear attack at a campground north of Yellowstone National Park.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim says Park County officials reported a male was killed and two others were injured in a mauling reported at about 4 a.m. Wednesday east of Cooke City.

The male was found dead in a tent at the Soda Butte campground. His age and hometown were not available.

Aasheim says another male was bitten on the leg and taken to a hospital in Cody, Wyo., while a woman suffered injuries to her arms. He says the sheriff's department report indicates tents in the area were smashed. all campers ordered OUT.

We don't know if it was one bear, two bears, a black bear or grizzly bear," Aasheim said. "Obviously the bear's gone now. Will it come back tonight? That's the question."

Attached Files
.gif   th_SmileyCampfireWeinerRoast.gif (Size: 17.36 KB / Downloads: 157)

what a fortunate lady.

CODY, Wyo. - Frantic seconds into an attack by a bear, Deb Freele did something that went against all her instincts but probably saved her life — she totally relaxed.

“I thought I would be dinner,” said Freele, 58, a visitor to the Montana backcountry from Canada, who recalled awakening from a deep sleep in her tent near Yellowstone National Park to find she was being chewed on by a bear.

“Within hundredths of seconds, I felt the teeth in my arm, heard bones breaking. I screamed and that seemed to aggravate him. He sunk his teeth into me again,” she said in a telephone interview from her hospital room in Cody, Wyoming.

“So I decided to play dead and mean it,” she said. “Every muscle in my body went limp, like a rag doll ... I thought I could play dead or be dead.”

Her determination to stay calm and fight panic proved critical to her survival.

Freele said she quickly felt the bear’s jaws relax and, within several seconds, “he just dropped me and walked away.”

Freele, from London, Ontario, was one of three people attacked separately by a bear before dawn Wednesday at the Soda Butte campground in Montana’s Gallatin National Forest.

One man was killed and another injured in the attacks, which wildlife officials said seemed to have been unprovoked.

Freele, who suffered multiple bites to her left arm, which was broken, said her ordeal lasted about 35 or 40 seconds and that her husband, who was asleep in a nearby tent, did not awaken until after it was over.

She said she believes the bear was a grizzly but wildlife officials were still trying to determine whether the animal was a grizzly bear or a black bear.

A spokesman for the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Department said a preliminary investigation found no evidence of food at the campsites or in tents — a magnet for bears.

Freele, an experienced camper who was making her first visit to grizzly country, said: “I’m not afraid of bears, I respect them.”

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

tragic.

Wildlife officials in Montana have captured the female grizzly bear who officials believe rampaged through a campground near Yellowstone National Park before dawn on Wednesday morning. Two of the bear's cubs were also captured.

The mama grizzly, who weighs between 300 and 400 pounds, killed one person and injured two others at the Soda Butte campground around 4 a.m.before campers sought shelter in their vehicles. All the bears, including the cubs, will be euthanized. They are considered a threat after witnessing their mother being aggressive.

COOKE CITY, Mont. (July 29, 2010)--Montana wildlife Thursday identified the man killed in a bear mauling near Yellowstone National Park as Kevin Kammer, 48, of Michigan.
Kevin Kammer of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was an avid outdoorsman. His brother-in-law said he loved to flyfish and kayak and that is what he was doing during his trip to Montana. The bear killed him Wednesday morning in his tent at Soda Butte campground.

.jpg   gr.jpg (Size: 11.84 KB / Downloads: 139)

I have mixed feelings about this story & others like it...It's certainly awful that people die & it must be the scariest shit ever to be attacked but, they are in the bear's home, so to speak and I think it's chance they all take when they choose to hike & camp in the wild.

I have similiar feelings when I read about animal trainers being attacked & killed. People shouldn't be surprised when that happens. These are wild animals after all.

The authorities killed the bear & 2 of her cubs are to be sent to a zoo...I had read yesterday that they intended to kill her cubs too because they witnessed the killing.

This morning they are saying that the bear entered the camp ground with the intent to kill & eat a human. How the hell could they possibly know that?!
here is a photo of the mama bear responsible. i'm glad to hear they will let the cubs survive, even in a zoo.
it was strange that she went into 3 tents, seemingly on a rampage. the bears and humans have managed to co-exist at Yellowstone for many years, i camped there as a kid. (same in the Blue Ridge, lots of black bears) you just need to follow bear etiquette and common sense about food storage etc. but the bears see humans as the source of food, and that applies all over the animal kingdom. once that happens, humans are at risk.
look at that fucking brain-damaged druggie imbecile timothy treadwell.

oh God, this is horrible! poor little girl!
fucking nasty spiders! [Image: th_SpiderBlackLine2.gif]
i know this is rare, so it's terribly shocking.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The family of 3-year-old Kaylee Brooke Davis, of Bakerton Road outside of Red Boiling Springs, is mourning her death after she passed away at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital in Nashville on Wednesday, September 1st, less than 24 hours after being bitten by a brown recluse spider late Tuesday afternoon.

According to family member Vickie Cherry, of Hwy. 52 By Pass East here in Lafayette, Kaylee, who is the daughter of Curtis and Elizabeth Davis, was sitting in a pink lawn chair at her residence, when she unfolded a blanket, wrapped it around her, then quickly began crying. Her grandmother, Corinna Davis, unwrapped the spread, where she saw what appeared to be a brown recluse spider and immediately put it in a plastic bag.

“They rushed her to Macon County General Hospital,” said Mrs. Cherry, “where she was treated and released. But unfortunately, later that night she developed a high fever and early Wednesday morning they rushed here by private car to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, where she was given a blood transfusion. But the situation took a turn for the worse and little Kaylee’s heart stopped beating, and after the medical staff performed CPR on her for over twenty minutes, she was pronounced dead at 1:10 p.m.”

“The whole family is completely devastated,” said close friend Janet Crawford, “and they certainly have a difficult road ahead of them. Everybody adored that precious little girl, who loved being outdoors with all her animals, and riding four-wheelers with her Pa. This is such a sad, sad loss for her parents & grandparents, and my heart goes out to them as they mourn a life cut too short.”

A Macon County General Hospital spokesperson said doctors did all they were supposed to for the little girl and because everything seemed normal, including her vital signs, she was allowed to return home for the night.

[Image: th_SpiderBlackLine2.gif]
In a three-year research program at Kansas University, it was found that virtually any dark, undisturbed area can serve as harborage for the secretive brown recluse spider. Consequently, they are more likely to wander into shoes, clothing or bedding and bite people when they inadvertently become trapped against the skin. According to the study, it is a good idea to shake covers and blankets before using them, as well as shoes before putting them on, so as to make sure there are no spiders in there.
[Image: th_SpiderBlackLine2.gif]

Absolutely Tragic!!!

Many years ago I was bitten by a Brown recluse spider, fortunately I was an adult and was able to survive the ordeal.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Did it leave a dent in your leg? Or wherever it pierced the skin.........what.

did it SMELL like? Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-12-2010, 10:18 PM)Maggot Wrote: Did it leave a dent in your leg? Or wherever it pierced the skin.........what, did it smell.

Atually it bit me on my forearm while I was sleeping, and that was indoors! My house was in dense woods. The bite area was red and about the size of a quarter. I didn't pay much attention to it, till later on in the day a friend noticed a "red line" going up my forearm from the bite. At that point I went to the ER, where the ER doc worked on my arm under a magnifying glass, & cut out the bite area! He gave a hemoglobin shot just to be safe. Guess it worked. (Oh yeah, no smell)

did it SMELL like? Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

my house is in the woods also, and about 2 years ago i had a spider bite on my left foot that caused me to think i could lose the foot! i was terrified. my foot turned purple, swelled to enormous size like a football, and throbbed painfully. i was petrified they might have to amputate! for a long time after that i wore combat boots to bed and imagined spiders crawling on me at night! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
they must deliver very powerful IV antibiotics for something like that, oral ones will not work. all those years in florida i never was bitten by anything poisonous (full of venomous snakes as you know Cars! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin) ~~until i got back to Mass.
that darling little girl was just too tiny to absorb and fight off the venom, and probably had no immunity at her age.
i hate spiders like you hate snakes Cars. at least i can see the godamn snakes and chop off their heads with a shovel!

Attached Files
.gif   spiderweb.gif (Size: 17.95 KB / Downloads: 99)
.gif   snakes%20animation%202.gif (Size: 7.21 KB / Downloads: 93)

My neighbor got bit by a brown recluse and they had to amputate his arm below the elbow.
Do unto others then run like hell! 104 ::devilban::
(07-30-2010, 05:25 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this story & others like it...It's certainly awful that people die & it must be the scariest shit ever to be attacked but, they are in the bear's home, so to speak and I think it's chance they all take when they choose to hike & camp in the wild.

I have similiar feelings when I read about animal trainers being attacked & killed. People shouldn't be surprised when that happens. These are wild animals after all.
Yes people are in the Bear's domaine & should beware! It was said, this sign below was posted at a park in Canada. Sounds like words of wisdom!

click to enlarge?

I used to camp with a knife and a gun.

The gun was for two legged animals and the knife was to make a new door in the tent to get away from four legged animals.
a goat?? Jesus.

(Oct. 18) -- A notoriously aggressive mountain goat attacked and killed a hiker in Washington's Olympic National Park.

Robert Boardman was picnicking Saturday at an overlook with his wife, Susan Chadd, and a friend, Pat Willits, when the goat appeared, according to the Peninsula Daily News. Boardman, 63, told his companions to move back down the trail while he tried to scare off the animal.

Instead, the goat charged Boardman, goring him in the leg with one of its horns. When Chadd and Willits heard him yell, they returned to the scene to find the goat guarding his body.

"The mountain goat was terribly aggressive," Jessica Baccus, an acquaintance of Boardman's who was also hiking the trail at the time, told The Seattle Times. "It wouldn't move. It stared us down."

Her husband, Bill Baccus, is a scientist at the park and immediately radioed for help. Three people then spread out across the slope and tried to shoo the animal away by yelling and throwing rocks at it. After about 15 minutes, it finally retreated. But by then, Boardman had been lying there for approximately an hour and no longer had a pulse.

Jessica Baccus began administering CPR, and 20 minutes later a Coast Guard helicopter airlifted Boardman out of the park and took him to the Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles, where he was pronounced dead.

Park rangers later shot and killed the goat, and a necropsy will be performed on the animal's body to test for disease.

Rangers have been tracking about eight of the 300 mountain goats that live in the park -- including this one -- because they had been acting aggressively toward hikers lately, either by not moving out of the way when people approached or by following them.

In an attempt to condition the goats to stay away from humans, rangers have shot bean bags and non-lethal firecrackers at them in the past, The Seattle Times notes.

A mountain goat that fatally gored a Washington state hiker during the weekend, then stood over the man and stared at people trying to help, had shown aggressive behavior in the past, Olympic National Park officials said Monday.

Robert Boardman, 63, of Port Angeles, died Saturday after he was attacked by the goat while hiking on the subalpine Switchback Trail in the park. The trail is popular with residents of nearby Port Angeles, which is about 85 miles west of Seattle.

Park rangers later found the goat, which remained close by, observed blood on it and shot the animal.

Rangers have been tracking the ram and others for the past four years because they have followed people or approached hikers without backing down, said park spokeswoman Barb Maynes.

"It has shown aggressive behavior, however, nothing led us to believe us it was appropriate to take the next level of removal," she said. "This is a highly unusual. There's no record of anything similar in this park. It's a tragedy. We are taking it extremely seriously and doing our best to learn as much as we can."

Park officials have posted signs at trailheads warning hikers to be watchful of all goats and to stay at least 100 feet from the animals. Hikers are also warned not to urinate on or near the trail, because goats are attracted to the salt.

A necropsy, or animal autopsy, was conducted on the goat Sunday night by a private certified veterinary pathologists. Park officials are awaiting test results of blood and tissue samples, which may take a couple weeks, Maynes said.

"We're looking for anything to indicate any presence of diseases, which might shed light on the animal's extremely strange and unusual behavior," she said.

Who would ever expect to get taken out by a goat!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
well those are some lethal horns!

today oct. 22. waiting for details, this is new. Signs_173

i'll follow it here:
http://mockforums.net/t-shark?pid=112326#pid112326

A 20-year-old UCSB student was killed today when he was attacked by a shark while body boarding off Surf Beach at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

The victim, an Orange County man whose identity was not released pending notification of relatives, was in the water with a friend between 9 and 9:30 a.m. when a shark bit his leg off, according to Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown.

The friend, who was surfing on a regular surf board, brought the victim to shore, but the victim's injuries were severe and he bled to death, Brown said.

Surf, Wall and Minuteman beaches have been closed for a minimum of 72 hours, according to Lt. Ann Blodzinski, the public affairs officer for the base.

Surf Beach, which is west of Lompoc on Vandenberg Air Force Base property, is the closest publicly accessible beach for Lompoc Valley residents. It is also easily accessed from a nearby Amtrak station that serves the area.

BELIZE CITY -- A jaguar that escaped from its cage at a Belize animal rescue center during Hurricane Richard has been blamed in the mauling death of a U.S. citizen whose body was found on Tuesday.

The 4-year-old male jaguar named Max escaped when a tree fell on his cage on Sunday, the same day the Category 1 hurricane hit the country's Caribbean coast with howling winds and rain.

Authorities found the victim's body near the animal center on Tuesday. It had bite marks on the forearm and neck, and the man had apparently been attacked the day before and dragged for some distance into the bushes.

Belize's national police force identified the victim as Bruce Cullerton, an American who also held Belizean citizenship.

Kelly McCarthy, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Belize, confirmed that "a U.S. citizen died from a jaguar attack." McCarthy could not provide any information on the man's hometown or name.

The escaped jaguar had been sighted in the area of the attack near the center, located west of Belize City. Officials of the Belize Forest Department were trying to recapture it using steel-mesh cage traps baited with meat.

The 130-pound (59 kilogram) jaguar had been taken to rescue and research center two years ago, after a tourist resort which had held the animal as an attraction gave it up after tourists complained.

The center's operators, Richard and Carol Foster, rescue animals and attempt to return many of them to the wild.

Jose Sanchez:
“The jaguar attacked Mister Cullerton underneath his own home exactly where we see the paw print. It then drags his living body pass this dodge ram. On to this bushy area we have a lot of broken shrubs and through the undergrowth here while still alive and still very, very afraid it brought him right here into this clearing and this is where Mister Cullerton was mauled to death. This is exactly where the police found his body when he was killed by the animal.”

[Image: jaguar.gif]