Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
70% of Americans believe in angels
Really? Did 70% of America fail science?

Fifty-five percent believe they have a personal guardian angel that follows them around and protects them. I guess that half of the population feels they are so important to the future of our species they are assigned a special agent angel to make sure they continue to exist.

Do you believe in angels, ghosts, aliens, demons, Satan, unicorns, or any other stupid bullshit?

If you do, please explain how an adult can possibly believe such ridiculousness.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(12-16-2010, 06:10 PM)Cracker Wrote: If you do, please explain how an adult can possibly believe such ridiculousness.

I'm Catholic, the nuns beat it into me.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I hear people talk about "their angels" all the time. I always think they are crazy.

The people who say, "God will provide for my family" irritate me just as much. God WILL NOT provide for you. You have to work. Or sit home and let God provide while I work and pay for your welfare. Either way it irritates the shit out of me.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
i think many people need to believe they are not alone in this huge nasty cold world. that there is divine help. that maybe a deceased loved one watches over them. angels have been there for them throughout history. nomatter what i believe, i do love the angels of literature, history (Joan of Arc), stained glass, art and legend. Angel

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't believe in ghosts, demons, satan or ufo's but, I'm scared shitless there really is reincarnation & I'll come back in the black hole of Calcutta.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-16-2010, 07:04 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't believe in ghosts, demons, satan or ufo's but, I'm scared shitless there really is reincarnation & I'll come back in the black hole of Calcutta.

nope. you're coming back as a cooking show chef.

*snicker* :B

I sometimes feel there is someone standing behind me getting ready to push me into an oncoming bus. Sometimes I feel they are pulling me back from the curb. I have psycho comedic angels protecting and toying with me at every odd numbered corner. I think they are Chinese railroad workers that got blown up on a hill in the 1800's building the trans-continental railroad. They all have the first names "Ling" and they are pissed.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Angels? that's an interesting subject with roots thoughout history, every culture every nationality, every identifiable people and even a few which remain mostly a mystery have laid a foundation of faith,belief,or at the very least a reliance upon something larger something divine something to whom they have felt responsibility to.

angels are often seen as beings which were given specific charge to watch and learn from the worship of the people to whom the various gods have bestowed a loyalty to, they were also given specific instruction "in the Christian faith" to have no interaction with the mortals which they were to watch, in scripture the failings of those instructions showed up as goliath, and also as hercules a mating between angelic beings and humans.

My question in response to the blinded by the "fear of faith" question asked by cracker is this, how can so many generations, so many different peoples of so many differing nationalities, so many different cultures be wrong and she,it,be right?

simple instinct should say complexities such as we see everyday could not happen by accident, and if they could why have they ceased? where is the next form in formation? where is the next level of increase? believing that an accident of such proportions could create,evolve into a superior being with intelligence a person would expect that evolution to continue, by what force could such a powerful event be stopped?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Newspapers say:

"Half of all Americans believe they are protected by guardian angels, one-fifth say they've heard God speak to them, one-quarter say they have witnessed miraculous healings, 16 percent say they've received one and 8 percent say they pray in tongues, according to a survey released Thursday by Baylor University."

and

"Most Americans believe that angels and demons are active in the world, and nearly 80 percent think miracles occur, according to a poll released yesterday that takes an in-depth look at Americans' religious beliefs."

This blows my mind. How many Americans know about solid state physics and cosmic entanglement and evolution? How can you believe in both?

You people don't fool me. You believe in miracles. You talk to your angels. Don't lie.

Maggot, You are one step away from Scientologist. hahaha
(12-16-2010, 09:59 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Angels? that's an interesting subject with roots thoughout history, every culture every nationality, every identifiable people and even a few which remain mostly a mystery have laid a foundation of faith,belief,or at the very least a reliance upon something larger something divine something to whom they have felt responsibility to.

angels are often seen as beings which were given specific charge to watch and learn from the worship of the people to whom the various gods have bestowed a loyalty to, they were also given specific instruction "in the Christian faith" to have no interaction with the mortals which they were to watch, in scripture the failings of those instructions showed up as goliath, and also as hercules a mating between angelic beings and humans.

My question in response to the blinded by the "fear of faith" question asked by cracker is this, how can so many generations, so many different peoples of so many differing nationalities, so many different cultures be wrong and she,it,be right?

simple instinct should say complexities such as we see everyday could not happen by accident, and if they could why have they ceased? where is the next form in formation? where is the next level of increase? believing that an accident of such proportions could create,evolve into a superior being with intelligence a person would expect that evolution to continue, by what force could such a powerful event be stopped?

I watched a show on the History Channel that said we are mistaken about angels; they were really aliens that came to Earth. Did you see that show?

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-ali...and-aliens

Evolution over billions of years accounts for the complexity of life. Life WILL end on Earth when the Moon reaches the Roche Limit and is dragged back into this planet from whence it came. That won't be fun.
(12-16-2010, 09:59 PM)IMaDick Wrote: My question in response to the blinded by the "fear of faith" question asked by cracker is this, how can so many generations, so many different peoples of so many differing nationalities, so many different cultures be wrong and she,it,be right?

I'll answer you because one of my specialties is educating dopes like you. So many generations and people were wrong about slavery. So many were wrong about witchcraft. So many were wrong about the Earth being flat and everything revolving around the Earth in our solar system. The list goes on, dope, proving that the amount of people believing something in no way lends truth to it. Same goes for angels, demons, and other such nonsense. Dope.

Because I am in a good mood I will educate you, my favorite Mock Dope further. So many people believing in angels isn't evidence of their existence, it's evidence that emotions and emotional needs are very powerful in humans. It's also evidence of how we've managed to cope and survive in our evolution.

I'll stop there because I don't want your dopey head to explode over Duchess' site. Burrito Dope.

86 112
(12-16-2010, 10:03 PM)Cracker Wrote: This blows my mind. How many Americans know about solid state physics and cosmic entanglement and evolution? How can you believe in both?

It's not too mind-blowing once you weigh in the archaic religious brainwashing wired into our heads and our deep-seated emotional needs. That's why you can have an extremely talented neurosurgeon who believes Jesus will be floating back from the sky within his lifetime.

86 112
I guess babies and little children who are tortured or die of some rare disease weren't assigned an angel at birth, right?

I am similarly irritated when someone miraculously survives something (an airplane crash or whatever) and they say that "God saved them". Really? He liked you better than everyone that died?
Commando Cunt Queen
I think the key idea of most religions (if I kiss Your Holy Ass, I will be favored) is bullshit. I like the Buddhist philosphy better (if I live a decent life I will get decent returns, if I'm a fucking asshole, my life will suck). We need more Buddha in the world. Many of the Buddhist ideas also support what we know about physics (both Newtonian and quantum).
(12-16-2010, 06:16 PM)Duchess Wrote: I'm Catholic, the nuns beat it into me.

I can't be the only one who thought of this, am I?

[Image: 26fd16fba9.jpg]
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

I love when people thank Jesus for blessing them with an award ... as if the other people weren't blessed enough, or worse, as if they were special and "chosen."

Notice they never blame supernatural forces when they do NOT win the award.
86 112
I do believe in angels, in the biblical sense. I don't believe each of us have an angel assigned to us to keep us safe - if it were, then some angels are falling down on their jobs. God expects us to take care of ourselves and each other.
I also believe in God, and I believe He has a purpose for everyone. He gives us free will to do as we choose- that's why there is so much messed-up stuff out there. And that goes back to my statement above- for every awful crime we've discussed on here, there was somebody who could have done something to prevent it, but they chose not to. Don't blame God for people being as mean as hell, when He gives all of us the choice in what we do- would you rather not have free will?
I don't believe in evolution in the sense that we all came from some big pile of ooze- to me, that takes a much bigger leap of faith than believing there is something out there that is bigger than we are that had a hand in designing such an intricate universe and all the things within it. I don't see how someone can look at all the things around us, and believe that it just 'happened'. I do believe animals and plants can adapt over generations to their surroundings.
Flame me if you must.
(12-18-2010, 01:58 PM)Spiderlady Wrote: I don't believe in evolution in the sense that we all came from some big pile of ooze- to me, that takes a much bigger leap of faith than believing there is something out there that is bigger than we are that had a hand in designing such an intricate universe and all the things within it. I don't see how someone can look at all the things around us, and believe that it just 'happened'. I do believe animals and plants can adapt over generations to their surroundings.Flame me if you must.

I'm not going to flame you. The title of this thread indicates most people in America believe this.

You can't not believe in evolution then turn around and say animals and plants adapt over time, because the IS evolution. Adaptation over time= evolution. You can't have it both ways.

Please tell me what believers think of dinosaurs and Java man. I would love to know that. I won't be ugly.
(12-18-2010, 01:48 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: I love when people thank Jesus for blessing them with an award ... as if the other people weren't blessed enough, or worse, as if they were special and "chosen."

I like your other post about "respect each other." That pretty much summed it up. I saw it, so it wasn't really lost to Cyber Heaven.
(12-18-2010, 02:36 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(12-18-2010, 01:48 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: I love when people thank Jesus for blessing them with an award ... as if the other people weren't blessed enough, or worse, as if they were special and "chosen."

I like your other post about "respect each other." That pretty much summed it up. I saw it, so it wasn't really lost to Cyber Heaven.

Thank you.
86 112