Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
~ART~
there's all kinds of art of course, and i usually gravitate to the classical. but i thought i'd start this thread with a talented person i just saw online. hard to believe these are paper~

please add whatever kind of art you like! [Image: smiley-artist-paint.gif]

These amazing pictures are the sculptures of artist and animal enthusiast Calvin Nicholls, who using nothing but sheets of A4 paper brings to life many exotic creatures including lions, pandas and zebras as part of his paper zoo collection.

Each piece takes around four weeks to produce and in some cases have taken up to two years with Nicholl demanding up to £16,000 for his art.

Strikingly realistic and intricately observed, his collection in total amasses over 75 pieces and is on display at the Follett Library near Chicago, Illinois.

[Image: article-0-0D2AB88600000578-250_634x326.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB8A200000578-421_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB7FC00000578-166_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB85000000578-358_634x398.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB82400000578-682_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB87B00000578-134_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB68D00000578-223_634x578.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB91400000578-839_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D2AB7EC00000578-920_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0D84BECD00000578-209_634x704.jpg]

circa 1265

Art restorers have sparked fury by touching up a 746 year old fresco called The Tree of Fertility and removing some of its most prized assets.

The painting by an unknown artist was discovered in an Italian cave and illustrates a tree from the branches of which are hanging dozens of very realistically drawn penises.

Underneath the tree, waiting for the them to fall, a small crowd of women are gathered, with two appearing to be ready to fight over one of the twenty five 'fruits'.

The work is said to be a symbol of fertility and controversy erupted after restorers appeared to 'castrate' the tree by removing or painting over several of the phalluses.

Many critics have complained that the fresco's spirit and intention has been destroyed.

The intriguing work of art was discovered in 1999 in the Tuscan town of Massa Marittima in walls which adorn a local spring known as the Fountain of Abundance, carved out of solid rock.

Calvin Nicholls collect is amazing! Very talented.

I love the monkeys Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
Sir Edwin Landseer. The Old Shepherd's Chief Mourner. 1837. Oil on canvas. Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK

[Image: the-old-shepherds-chief-mourner-after-si...-manry.jpg]

Landseer Newfoundland dog

[Image: pcl_painting_i.jpg]

I'm very fond of Landseer he did a grand job painting animals.

Has anyone heard of Zula Kenyon 1873 - 1947 American Artist?

I almost snagged a Zula on Shopgoodwill.com

Here is a painting by her The Lady, Horse & Dog. I really like!

[Image: 4975800_6_l.jpg]

A big yes to Calvin Nicholls another animal enthusiast! What patience this fellow must have.....he does a wonderful job. If we are lucky he may come to Toledo, Cleveland or Ann Arbor, Michigan with his display - Chicago is quite a hike. Glad you found him Lady Cop - wonderful art!
I have a rather weird taste in art.

I have always been an Escher fan.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST1Moh1IxRS71Iq0Znrs0...Gj2Z2a4t7A]

I collect shit like this and call it mother nature's art.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0aLnJ7UFS5_tBa5xou8B...NP7BVyBpsS]

I also love carved wood.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0bN_bjjsmmabMsMBBI8G...jrOefgHfKA]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB96zwUTn5G4YRZiGnSX7...kC9PuuKbCw]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2JD_0Ke56HsWSAyYgD5H...JxcydZvLnQ]
i love all kinds of art, from the Italian masters to art deco to Americana to Oriental. i love sculpture and netsuke. i'll post some of each as i have time. here is an English artist i admire~~enjoy~~
google for more of his work if you like his style~~

[Image: 280px-John_everett_millais.jpg]

John Everett Millais
Born 8 June 1829
Southampton, England Died 13 August 1896 (aged 67)
Kensington, London

Ophelia
[Image: millais.jpg]

[Image: john-everett-millais-message-from-the.jpg]

[Image: john_everett_millais_sir_isumbras_canvas_print_24.jpg]

[Image: The_Black_Brunswicker%20_1860.jpg]

[Image: the-bride-of-lammermoor-sir-john-everett-millais.jpg]

[Image: Rosalindwood_Millais.jpg]

order of release
[Image: JOHN-EVERETT-MILLAIS-THE-ORDER-OF-RELEASE.JPG]

John Everett Millias

What a Wonderful Artist! What a thrill to go back over them several times to-day - I really did enjoy them!

Thank-you! so much.
while skimming some gallery site, i liked this artist and his subject matter.

Robert Griffing

http://www.robertgriffing.com/

[Image: FragileTrust_z.jpg]

[Image: picture.aspx?date=20080726&catalog=14281...filetype=2]

[Image: cottonwood-tree.jpg?w=590&h=387]

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=14427&stc=1&d=1205955576]

[Image: The+Stillness+of+a+Woodland+Pool.jpg]

[Image: 85246_142712_CheyenneWinterCamp_1.jpg]

for 109 Day

[Image: article-0-11ABA47F000005DC-724_634x926.jpg]

Romeo and Juliet, 1884, depicted in oil on canvas by Frank Bernard Dicksee. It hangs in Southampton City Art Gallery

I feel very meek compared to this stuff.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I have been wanting (bad grammar, been in the South too long, haha) a green man carving:
[Image: greenman_26.jpg]
One day I'll see one at a swap meet and buy it.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
London (CNN) -- With its remarkably realistic depictions and dramatic history, the Ghent Altarpiece (1432) is widely thought to be one of the most famous panel paintings in the world.

Stolen several times (most notoriously during World War II by the Nazis, who hid it in a salt mine), the altarpiece, currently housed in St. Bavo Cathedral in Ghent, Belgium, depicts among other things a 'Mystic Lamb' bleeding into a chalice.

It has been admired and coveted for centuries. Now an ambitious digital documentation project is allowing scholars and art-lovers alike to pore over the minute details of Jan and Hubert van Eyck's multi-part painting in a specially-designed, open source website entitled 'Closer to Van Eyck: Rediscovering the Ghent Altarpiece.'

Consisting of 12 panels (one of which is a copy, the original having been stolen in 1934) and depicting numerous complex theological scenes, the documentation project has rendered the already composite work into 100 billion pixels using the highest resolution photography.

A collaboration between the Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage in Lukasweb, Belgium, and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and funded with support from the Getty Foundation in Los Angeles and the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, the venture to digitally document the work took 9 months, initially to assess it for conservation.

[Image: 120301051327-ghent-alterpiece-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

Thought to be one of the most famous panel paintings in the world, the Ghent Altarpiece, completed in 1432, can now be viewed on a specially-designed, open source website.

[Image: 120301053522-ghent-alterpiece-8-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

Stolen several times from St. Bavo Cathedral in Ghent where it is housed, the altarpiece features many intriguing details, including a 'Mystic Lamb' bleeding into a chalice.

more photos and details here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/world/euro...hpt=hp_bn2

Maggot art..........

[Image: 002.jpg]
Nice 30 year old washing machine maggot.

The burning is ok also.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

That washer works great. Never had a problem with it. I clean out under it once a year and throw a little oil on the gears and tighten the belt. Its a good machine.
Well you're a good little hausfrau aren't you.

I hated getting rid of the old maytag for this new junk we have now.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Anything after 86 is a shitbox. on most everything now.
utterly amazing! this guy's pencil drawings look like photographs!
click link for more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...encil.html

[Image: article-2115297-122DDD62000005DC-789_964x667.jpg]