Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is YOUR connection?
So, your ISP says "You can can connect at up to X Mbps" but, is that what you're really getting?

Here's a good way to find out.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Here's my latest results:

[Image: 495563184.png]

You should try a couple different servers at varying distances to get the low and high ends of your connection speed.

[Image: alcatraz-prison-picture2-1.jpg]
[Image: what_manner.gif]
[Image: 495610726.png]

I tried it before this one and had over 20 for the download speed. I should have copied that one.

I've done it like 20 times now with the same results - well not exactly but around 19+.

We had Comcast before the FiOS and they were giving us the 10 mbs for the price of 24. fuckers.
[Image: 495619085.png]

I am feeling s l o w . . . .
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
[Image: 495624102.png]
I win I win!!!!::banana::::banana::::banana::
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
It keeps asking me to download something, is it safe to download this?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Hang on......

[Image: 495627260.png]

So......what does all this mean?

::blink::
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
if it's the addon to make the site work for you sure. I've got no problems from it.

Optimum cable services provides the speed test anyway and i know they're safe.
The Antagonist Wrote:if it's the addon to make the site work for you sure. I've got no problems from it.

Optimum cable services provides the speed test anyway and i know they're safe.
Also I've tried it more than once and it gives me different results every time, not massively different but different.
It should. Your connection is never consistent.
It varies by usage in your area no matter what provider you're on or others around you.
I have cable internet. That's all I know as I freely admit I am a computertard. I just want to turn it on and have it work. I don't care about anything else.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
ramseycat Wrote:I have cable internet. That's all I know as I freely admit I am a computertard. I just want to turn it on and have it work. I don't care about anything else.
Me too. I kept upgrading when I had the Internet through AT&T. My speed never got any faster, the fucking bastards. That is why I switched to cable, but will be getting FIOS when I move in a couple of weeks.
not bad

[Image: 1652200148.png]

[Image: 495776220.png]
Maggot, you should be bitching like mad at Comcast for your connection speed!

Liquid, you too. Road Runner is supposed to be faster than that.

FYI to both of you.... I ran this on the other computer in the house and it ran as slow as Maggot's - with FiOS - we think it has to do with being networked and my machine is directly connected.
So, if your machines are connecting off another one in the house (networked) that could be why you're slow. If not, bitch like hell to your ISP because that is bullshit speed.
If you're not using a good router to network then you're losing big time on the "satellite" units.

I have 3 computers on my network and they all connect at roughly the same speed.

I'm running a decent D-Link EBM-2310 wired router ($39.95 or less most places) and one of the ports is used for my Vonage phone connection.

I'm paying for a 10 Mbps connection and as you can see from my results I'm getting my money's worth.

One of the reasons I posted this is so you could check and see if you're getting what you are supposed to. If not......complain to your ISP.
We're routed right through the one from FiOS. Part of the problem in our house is the other computer is over 10 years old.
The Antagonist Wrote:We're routed right through the one from FiOS. Part of the problem in our house is the other computer is over 10 years old.
Is your FiOS modem what both are connected to? If so I take it that the modem has multiple ports.

Or is your unit #1 and the second one connects via a parallel port on yours?

Either way this will cause one unit to be the master connection and all others to be satellites. The satellites likely will connect slower because the master will get priority.

My network runs from the modem to the router and then each unit on the network is treated equally.

Yeah, a 10 + yr old unit will tend to be slower but not by THAT much.

You might want to download Glary Registry repair and run it on the "slow" unit. It's a freebie download at Cnet.

For that matter, get it and run it on both units. Made a world of difference on all 3 of mine!
This is the egghead I live with department. He does all this hooking up stuff for a living.

BUT I do know that both comps are directly hooked into the FiOS hub/router. Which btw includes a hardware firewall which eliminates the need for a crappy software firewall.

Anyone using router or networking hub should not need software firewalls because these things have them built in and are way more secure.
I am 99% sure it's all the flash on the site that is causing him to get a false reading. I just tried it and am running the test now and as the page was loading I noticed all the flash issues.

He cannot upgrade to the latest version of flash because of the old OS he's using..... the old gal can't handle any OS later than windows 2000 professional.

It just finished - Download @ 1.46 and Uploat @ 0.16 dog slow compared to mine!
Hardware firewall ROFL

What a misnomer. All a hardware firewall is, is a software firewall inside a special housing that is really a mini PC (which is what routers are too). Most use some type of Linux or UNIX and thus an iptables based firewall. I could build you a custom one for only a bit more than you pay for a commercial one, and have it be twice as secure. Weeee!

As for connection speed, if you're getting 70%+ of your "advertised" speed during peak hours, you're good. You should be getting 85-90%+ during off peak hours. If you're getting more than that, you're doing great.