Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Katelyn Markham, 22. Ohio - missing/murdered
i just found out about this, need to research her lifestyle, boyfriend, etc.

[Image: KatelynMarkham.jpg]

[Image: 223937tn300.jpg]

facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Br...942?ref=nf

An Ohio community held a prayer vigil on Friday for 22-year-old Katelyn Markham, who has not been seen since last Saturday, Fox19 News reported.

Markham's fiance, John Carter, spoke at the vigil in Fairfield, asking the crowd to remember her smile and good spirits. Katelyn's father also stepped to the altar thanking everyone for their support.

"[I want to] remind people that she is missing and not to forget," said Markham. "I want her to come home and I expect her to walk through the door any day."

Friends and family are trying everything they can to get Markham's name and face out there through posters, buttons and even a slide show was made for the vigil, with dozen of pictures of Katelyn.

"I got like maybe seven hours of sleep this week, I've thought about her non-stop," Brandy Duarte, a friend of Markham's told Fox 19 News. "I have never had this happen to a friend before so this is all new to me. I'm frustrated, I want to find her and I pray and hope she is OK."

After two organized searches and a week of investigating, police still have very little to go on and say they're not ruling anything out. "Just to vanish with out a trace is very unreal," Markham said.

On Thursday, Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey said foul play was not suspected in Markham’s disappearance.

“We have no evidence of it. It’s speculation, certainly. It’s something that has crossed our mind,” Dickey said. “Thinking foul play is one thing, but having evidence to back that up is something else.”

Her car, keys and purse were all left behind. The only items missing are Markham and her cell phone, which was shut off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday.

Her phone hasn’t been accessed since she went missing, Dickey said.

“We are maintaining an extensive effort to try to locate her. We will maintain that until all leads we can develop are exhausted,” Dickey said.

"It is still hard to believe that she is gone without a trace and no clues or anything."

The vigil was a time to share strength and to pray. In the front pew sat Markham's father and other family members, all hoping that she is safe and comes home soon.

"We just want someone who knows something to say it and speak up," said David Markham, Katelyn's father. "Because somebody knows something and we need to know that."

A Facebook page, "Missing! Bring Katelyn Markham Home" has been set up to aid in the search.

boyfriend:
[Image: 73634897_-2_1001201c.jpg]

I sure hope LE/Search teams find Katelyn safe.
[Image: Original.jpg]

[Image: Original.jpg]

Dayton Daily News

FAIRFIELD — “What happened to Katelyn?”

The question has been consuming police, friends and family since Katelyn Markham was last seen late Saturday night. Authorities say there’s no evidence a crime occurred in her Doshire Drive townhouse, and friends and family say she was happy and looking forward to the life she had planned. Her fiance of one year, John Carter, said she’s too pragmatic and responsible to leave willingly.

Markham’s car, keys and purse were still at the apartment, and nothing was out of place.

On Wednesday — three days after she was reported missing — police secured her townhouse at 5214 Dorshire Drive.

Fairfield police Lt. Kevin Haddix said police aren’t securing the area as a crime scene, but are at a point where they need to look at the apartment to see if anything is missing, from a winter coat, to shoes, to the clothes she was last seen wearing.

Police are investigating any and all possibilities, ranging from she picked up her life somewhere else to a situation where foul play is involved, he said.

“It’s logical to infer foul play is involved, but we still don’t know what happened,” Haddix told Local12.

“Everyone has theories as to how a person would disappear under these circumstances,” he said.

Markham’s future mother-in-law, Karyn Winkler, said the family has its own theories as to what happened the night she went missing.

“Her family and our family are kind of feeling like someone has taken her, someone possibly that she knew,” she said.

Winkler said the family believes Markham answered a knock on the door while she was sleeping — her bed looked like it had been slept in that night, and the only thing missing is her cellphone.

“Katelyn is a very sweet, trusting girl, and she is just someone very easy to get along with. Maybe she had a bad judgment,” Winkler said.

Haddix said the family’s theory is “certainly a reasonable thought. That’s something we’re considering.”

But if someone did take Markham from her townhouse, police have said there’s no evidence of it.

“There’s no news on her whereabouts and no information that takes the case in any different direction,” Haddix said.

Search efforts Monday and Tuesday in Fairfield involving more than 100 volunteers, police and fire crews, have led nowhere.

“Nothing turned up, not even an article of clothing that could be associated with her,” said Fairfield fire Chief Don Bennett.

Bennett said over the last two days, “we have covered more territory than I ever thought was humanely possible. ... I think everything that could be covered in a reasonable proximity of her residence has been checked.”

A helicopter was brought in Tuesday from Hamilton County sheriff’s office to check the river, he said, which also produced nothing.

“We know what things we have to get done, and that’s what we’re going to do. I wouldn’t call us confused. We’re looking for the same answers everyone else is. We have a long way to go in the investigation,” Haddix said.

Markham is set to graduate next month from the Art Institute of Cincinnati. She works two part-time jobs — at the Art Institute’s supply store and David’s Bridal at Tri-County Mall. Both declined comment. The couple are planning a move to Colorado in November and plan to marry in two years, after Carter turns 25.

While the family prays for Markham’s safe return, Carter said he is “absolutely” sure something “suspicious” happened to his fiancee.

“She’s literally the sweetest girl,” he said. “She’s so nice and caring. She would never just leave. She’s just too pragmatic. I’m just absolutely terrified.”

her fiance's 911 call is in the video here:

http://www.wlwt.com/r-video/28909094/detail.html

he sounds rehearsed to me.

i have a lot more questions i haven't been able to answer yet.

she missed her birthday celebration tuesday. :(

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20110818&Category=NEW...0&Border=0]

Phone and GPS shut off and missing. Car, keys, and purse left behind. Doesn't sound like she pulled a runner or willingly went off with someone. I hope she's alive.
i want to see the pic she supposedly sent boyfriend after she was "missing". how convenient. this girl was responsible and had 2 jobs.

she's dead.

edit to add: it was NOT a NEW pic of her, but an older one. anyone with access to her phone could have sent it.

her dad, David Markham at prayer vigil. she lived with him, but he was moving out. don't know where her mom is.

[Image: 15300630_BG1.jpg]

scroll down at this link to interview with her boyfriend. it's 9 or 10 minutes long. what do you think?

i don't like that he very glibly discussed burning some of her personal documents, which he said she wanted him to do.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html

Markham’s fiance, John Carter, asked the audience to remember that smile.
“I want people to smile like that when they think of her and not worry about her,” Carter said.

huh?? don't worry? is she in heaven perhaps? or don't search? what?

it's probably me. this guy is a little weird.

[Image: hjn082111missing_1002268c.jpg]

Sunday
Middletown Journal
FAIRFIELD — A young woman, described by family and friends as happy and with no enemies seems to have vanished.

Katelyn Markham had her life figured out, according to family. She was set to graduate next month from the Art Institute of Ohio-Cincinnati, was engaged to her high school sweetheart and was looking forward to moving to Colorado in October.

“She’s positive, outgoing and motivated. She had a plan and she was sticking to it,” said her father, Dave Markham.

According to police, there’s no evidence of foul play inside Markham’s townhouse on Dorshire Drive. Her purse, keys and car were all right where they belonged. A text from her phone was sent to her fiance, John Carter, sometime before her phone was turned off at 12:45 a.m. Sunday. Search efforts and helicopter fly-overs have turned up nothing.

While the community is puzzled as to how a seemingly happy girl could simply disappear, her family and friends are working to stay positive.

“Every morning is so hard. Every time I wake up, it just gets harder,” Carter said.

On Wednesday, Markham turned 22, and the couple would have celebrated their one year anniversary of being engaged.

Carter proposed to Markham after seeing a movie and playing video games in Newport on the Levy, he said.

It was her 21st birthday, but the couple had been together since 2005, when they met through Carter’s step-sister, he said.

The day they met they went to a drugstore and Carter bought Markham a simple disposable camera.

“She loved it. She treated it like it was the coolest present she ever got,” he said.

Carter described Markham as a “colorful person.”

“Her paintings were colorful, her makeup was colorful, her clothes were colorful. It wasn’t tacky. Especially when she dressed up, she just looked beautiful.”

Working in customer service was a perfect fit for his fiance, he said, as working at David’s Bridal at Tri-County Mall and the Art Institute’s supply store gave her a chance to interact with others.

This friendly and bubbly personality, friends say, made her groups of friends plentiful.

Police Chief Mike Dickey said as investigators go through her cell phone records, it’s apparent Markham “has a very large circle of friends.”

Katie Harris, 18, who said she is close friends with Markham, said she can’t think of anyone who would want to hurt her friend.

Markham had little free time between obtaining her Bachelor’s degree and working two part time jobs, but when she did have time, she just enjoyed staying in and watching TV. Carter said Markham is a “homebody,” and Harris said the two just enjoyed going to concerts or staying in and listening to music.

Friends and family are working hard to keep Markham’s story alive. They’re passing out fliers, held a prayer vigil Friday and have participated in two search efforts with Fairfield police and fire crews.

“I am trying to get things out there and keep the media on it. I want this all over the United States. As this point, if someone took her by car, she could be across the country. I want this as national as possible,” he said.

Markham’s story has already appeared on Nancy Grace’s blog on CNN.com and a Facebook group dedicated to bringing Katelyn home has grown.

“My instinct tells me she is close,” Carter said. “I feel like if I knew where she was, I would bust in the door and beat whoever took her and get her back. But I don’t know where she is.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Fairfield police at (513) 829-8201.

her ring

[Image: 317720_10150765692195176_797505175_20518...5660_n.jpg]

fiance=slime

I agree LC, she is dead.
It's the hint of arsenic that gives it that extra kick.
She's dead.

Last thing said by boyfriend in interview, "She deserves to be taken care of, and that's how I feel about it."

Holy crap are there a lot of red flags in that 9-10 min. ego-fest.

"I mistakenly put my key into the lock." So LE weren't able to check for themselves whether the door was locked or unlocked and he would be unable to give a straight answer.

"She told me the things I had to do." He felt like she was always telling him what to do.

"Even if I work a ten uh eight hour day I'd still do anything for her. I'd clean up and vacuum." He felt like her personal servant (also that he was the better person by taking care of her.)

"I don't know who would do it or if anyone did it." Did what? He is stating here that he knows someone did something to Katelyn.

"If anyone can ping a phone after it's turned off, that would be the greatest thing ever". He knows that it is impossible to ping a dead or turned off cellphone, so he looks good by saying this without risk to himself.

Did Katelyn change her mind about going to Colorado away from the "safety net of our parents"? This phrase really raised the hair on the back of my neck. Did Katelyn not fully trust John Carter? He also states that "Colorado and stuff" were the last things they spoke about on Saturday night. I fear she changed her mind and told him so and he killed her for it.

Very weird fellow! I watched 2 interviews and Cheyne said it good ego-fest! He just talks on and has all the answers. Apparently a Sacred Heart Festival a family oriented event to raise money for the Church - it must have been near Katelyn Markham's home, that event went on until mid-night - why would the boyfriend say there are some very questionable people at that event? Looking to lay the blame somewhere else? I sure as hell don't know why you'd tell the 911 operator this.

Here is the article about The Festival.

Journal News 8/11/2011

Annual Sacred Heart Festival kicks off Friday

FAIRFIELD — With discounted ride tickets for the kids, free music and local food vendors, the Sacred Heart Church Festival isn’t only a major fundraiser for the parish, as the church also has the goal of providing a well-rounded family event.
“Our main goal is to provide a safe family atmosphere for families,” said Matt Miller, event co-chair.
With more people opting to stay home during the summer months instead of traveling and taking vacations, Jim Schultheiss, event co-chair, said attendance numbers have benefited.
“The economy has had an affect (on attendance), but if anything, it’s given a bit of a boost,” he said. “People don’t travel as far. They can come to a local event where they don’t have to spend much money and still have a good time.”
While the church doesn’t keep track of attendance numbers, rain led to low turnout last year. While the weekend weather forecast was calling for some isolated storms as of press time Tuesday, the co-chairs are confident people will turn out for what Miller calls Fairfield’s second biggest event, behind Red, White and Kaboom.
For the first two hours of the festival each day, those attending can ride unlimited rides for $10. A wider selection of beer, local food vendors including Marco’s Pizza and Flub’s ice cream, music and dinner each night, a raffle and a “bid and buy” tent will round out the event.
“It’s a big fundraiser for the church ... and it’s something good for the community to come out and have a good time,” Schultheiss said. “We’re looking forward to doing both of those.”
How to go
What: Sacred Heart Church Festival
When: 6 p.m. to midnight Friday, Aug. 12, 5:30 p.m. to midnight Saturday, Aug. 13, 3 to 9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14
Where: 400 Nilles Road, Fairfield
Entertainment
Friday 8 p.m. to midnight: DV8
Saturday 8:30 p.m. to midnight: Weekend at Bernies
Sunday 3 p.m.: Kenny Cowden, 4 to 8 p.m.: The Rusty Griswolds
Sunday afternoon: Car cruise-in
Mike DeWine Ohio Attorney Generals Website

Nine registered sex offenders live within a 1 mile radius of where Katelyn Markham lives. I would imagine LE will check them out! I hope they find her soon!
I think she loved everything around her and seemed so happy I am afraid foul play is involved.

Fairfield Echo Newspaper

Reward offered for missing woman
Katelyn Markham last seen Aug.13

Updated 3:52 PM Monday, August 22, 2011
FAIRFIELD — A $3,000 reward is being offered to anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Katelyn Markham, who was last seen more than a week ago in her Fairfield townhouse.

The reward, contributed from an anonymous donor, is expected to increase called-in tips to CrimeStoppers, said officer Nedra Ward, who answers calls for the center.

“I’m sure I’ll get more calls since there’s money involved,” Ward said. “People just call in and say they spotted them.”

As of Monday, CrimeStoppers had received one call related to Markham.

While Crimestoppers is expected to receive more tips in the coming days, Fairfield police are asking for friends and family of Markham to think hard about conversations they’ve had with her.

“We’re asking them to think about the things she has talked about,” like an ex-boyfriend or acquaintance, said Fairfield police Chief Mike Dickey. “Any leads we can follow up on we’re looking for. We’re looking at information that might give us a direction to go.”

Ground searches have been suspended after authorities “have covered this city probably as extensively as there has ever been a search in this city,” Dickey said. “There is no other place to look.”

Searches conducted via helicopter, air boat, a mounted ranger from the Cincinnati Park District and All-terrain Vehicles haven’t turned up evidence, Dickey said.

Late last week, the Ohio bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation removed items from Markham’s townhouse at 5214 Dorshire Drive. The BCI’s Cyber Crimes unit also is involved in the investigation, said BCI spokeswoman Eve Mueller.

Dickey said the cyber crimes unit is involved due to the “electronics involved” in the investigation. Mueller declined to elaborate on what items were removed or whether they’ve resulted in any leads.

The 911 recording where Markham’s fiance, John Carter, called to report her missing has been released. In the tape, Carter refers to the Sacred Heart Church festival that was going on that night.

“The Sacred Heart Festival is going on right up the street and there’s lots of questionable people there and it’s just kind of ... i’m sorry,” says a person who identifies themselves as John Carter on the recording.

Authorities have had little evidence to go off of since Markham was reported missing. She was last seen late Aug. 13, and was reported missing Aug. 14.

There’s no evidence of foul play inside her townhouse, and her car, keys and purse were all left behind. Her cellphone has not been found, and has been turned off.

“We consider foul play a possibility, but it’s hypothetical at this point,” Dickey said.

A notice was to be sent out Monday to agencies throughout the area to remind them of the case, Dickey said.

Online support also has been gaining for Markham. Nearly 11,500 people are “attending” a Facebook event, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=222757371109820, to find Markham, and nearly 2,000 people have “liked” http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Br...6608973942. On PsychicCrimeFighter.com, there are three pages of posts from people who claim they are psychics, along with people who say they are family and friends speculating about Markham’s disappearance.
This one kind of hits me close to home, not that I live in Ohio, but I have a child who recently graduated college with a degree in fine arts. Also I have gone through the experience of a young person close to me coming out as gay. She says I have pretty good "gaydar".

Not only do I see discrepancies in the story, but my "gaydar" goes off with this fiancé. Did she discover that he is gay or bisexual and due to family ties and/or religious beliefs he felt the need to hide that fact? I'm just throwing that out there as a speculation.

As for discrepancies, I read somewhere that she shared the townhouse with her father, but the father was in the process of moving out. Why did the fiance have a key if she was living with her father?

The fiance mentioned that he received a picture and that he was used to receiving pictures of her art work at the beginning of the long interview, but, later said it was an older picture of herself. Just does not jive with the art student mentality. Art students are creative they rarely send old pictures, but would be much more likely to send something new and different.

The finance shows no emotion in his interviews, just speaking words, which at times do not make sense. Do we know anything about him? What line of work does he do? Is he in school? What would he be doing marrying an art student? He certainly does not seem the creative type.

Edit to add: I know Cracker is going to get on my case for grammar here. I am posting stream of thought and I do not give a fuck what the Nazi grammar police think.
(08-22-2011, 05:07 PM)Harvest Moon Wrote: Not only do I see discrepancies in the story, but my "gaydar" goes off with this fiancé. Did she discover that he is gay or bisexual and due to family ties and/or religious beliefs he felt the need to hide that fact? I'm just throwing that out there as a speculation.

Your "gaydar" is a possibility I thought he was a bit of a pansy myself - you could be on to something.

I wondered why Katelyns dad was in the process of moving out - where was he going (none of my damn business) but, that leaves Katelyn all alone & yes Harvest Moon why did the fiance have a key to her townhouse? Well she had 2 jobs John maybe helped her take the dog out and clean - he felt she deserved help.

I cannot figure out why the big hurry to get to Colorado to get away from family why? John stated that to news media about being dependent on family - moving away is a good thing? Everything she loved I believe was there.

Who did John the fiance live with Mother & Father or all alone or with another guy?

What papers did he burn? he goes and tells news media this (very strange).

Not a tear was shed by this boy not a one, just talk talk talk.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MASON — Officials have confirmed a body was found this morning in a field near a factory.

The body was found near Portion Pac Inc. at 7325 Snider Road in Mason. It has not been said if the person is a male or female, but the Warren County coroner is at the scene, according to Ron Ferrell of the Mason Fire Dept.

I picked up a few pieces of info on some of the key people while doing some searching. The boyfriend worked as a pizza delivery guy for Papa John's according to a post on this FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Br...6608973942

"JM commented:
I just clicked on the photo of Katelyn and John and he seems very familiar to me. You may not want to share this info but I was wondering if he works some place in Fairfield. Just trying to figure where I have seen him. I know one of the detectives on this case and she is a go-getter. If anyone can get to the bottom of this she will. Here's hoping for good news soon.......
9 hours ago

TW he delivered pizza for Papa Johns
6 hours ago"

As for the father, this article reports that he is moving in with a girlfriend.
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/mi...31535.html
"She shared the townhouse with her father, who was reportedly in the process of moving in with his girlfriend. She was home alone the night she went missing."

Something about the boyfriend seems too methodical. I noticed it in his speech, but also in the way that every thing is planned. He proposed to her on her 21st birthday last year. Last week was their birthday and the one year anniversary of their engagement. They are planning to move to Colorado on Nov. 28 and will marry in two years when he turns 25.

It's not communicated as "we have set a wedding date and are planning a big wedding to take place in two years." It's more about when he hits a certain life event.
It looks like the body found was a man that committed suicide. http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/mi...36599.html

"By Staff Report Updated 9:53 AM Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MASON — Police have confirmed the man found in a field here committed suicide.

The body was found near Portion Pac Inc. at 7325 Snider Road in Mason. The Warren County coroner responded to the scene at around 8:15 a.m. Police Lt. Neil Garland confirmed the man committed suicide after police investigated the scene."