Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
William 'Dean' Damon, 16 - safe - Florida
TAMPA While most families prepare for Thanksgiving dinner, a Tampa mother and father are struggling with the disappearance of their 16-year-old son.

William "Dean" Damon last contacted his parents by text message when he wrote at 4:06 p.m. Monday that he loved them and he was on his way home from a trip to Winter Park, near Orlando.

Damon, a junior at Plant High School, had driven alone on Saturday to visit his friends and girlfriend who live in Winter Park.

This was his third trip to visit his old stomping ground and his parents approved it, even giving him $160 in spending money, said his father, Scott Damon.

In August, the family moved to Tampa from Winter Park because Scott Damon got a new job at a Tampa law firm.

The family communicated with Damon all weekend and he wasn't acting unusual, Scott Damon said during a news conference today at Tampa Police Department headquarters.

"We have no idea, bottom line, where he is," Scott Damon said. "We are just trying to find him. We are just trying to get some help."

Tampa police Sgt. Bill Todd said investigators have traced Damon's travel route from Winter Park, both with vehicles and helicopter, and haven't had any luck locating Damon or the dark blue 2007 Nissan X-Terra he was driving.

Damon's text to his parents is the last time he used his cellphone. The phone is either turned off or has lost power. The last time he used the phone was a few blocks from his friend's Winter Park home, Todd said.

What makes it strange is that he had good communication with his parents, Todd said. He has a limited amount of money and no credit card. He also was expecting a visit from his paternal grandparents this week and he had wrestling practice on Tuesday morning, Todd said.

Police aren't ruling out any possibility, from running away to an abduction, Todd said.

Scott Damon said his son has never run away and has been a very good communicator. He never stays out past his 11 p.m. curfew, he said.

Damon is 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighs 160 pounds and has brown hair and hazel eyes. He was last seen in the area of 1591 Semorna Circle North in Winter Park. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a lime green fox on the front, jeans and black boots.

If you have any information, contact the Tampa police at (813) 231-6130.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2...ar-326883/

[Image: 111123060159_Dean-Damon.jpg]

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

he sounds like a good kid, i hope he gets home soon. leaving his friends and moving must have been a wrench at that age, but he seemed OK with it and was still able to go see his old friends. i feel for what his parents are going through right now, and don't want to think the worst. one thing that worries me aside from him being jacked, is so many people accidently lose control and drive into bodies of water in florida. :(

ST. Pete Times
TAMPA — At 4:06 p.m. Monday, he texted his father.
I love you guys. I'm on my way home.

But 16-year-old William Dean Damon never made it to his Tampa house.

Authorities have scoured possible paths from Winter Park, where he had been visiting a friend. They tried tracing his phone, but it's off. They've interviewed friends and checked his computer's search history.

And on Wednesday, the boy's father, Scott Damon, sat in front of news cameras. He swallowed hard, willing himself not to cry.

"We're just worried," he said. "We don't know what's going on."

To those who don't know him, Dean's disappearance had the markings of a runaway case: A 16-year-old who had just moved from Winter Park to Tampa went back to visit his friends and girlfriend. He had $160 and a vehicle.

But Tampa police say Dean's friends have no idea where he could be now. Neither does his girlfriend. They've posted messages on Facebook, begging him to come home.

It appears Dean intended to return. He told his father he'd leave at 4 p.m. so he could make it back by nightfall. A friend saw him pull out of the driveway.

The cell phone, for whatever reason, went dead quickly, police say. Tracing placed him just blocks from the house.

His family is trying not to think of the worst.

"There are various degrees of horrible," Scott Damon said.

Police have had to tell Damon to stop searching, to stay home with his two daughters, ages 11 and 14, who are very upset.

The family plans to have some semblance of a Thanksgiving meal, at least for the girls.

Authorities from Winter Park, Volusia County, Tampa and the Florida Highway Patrol are working the case. A representative from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children flew in Wednesday to help.

They're asking for tips from anyone who may have seen Dean or the navy blue 2007 Nissan Xterra he was driving, which has a tag number 457XXG.

Dean moved from Winter Park with his family several months ago because his dad, an attorney, got a job at a Tampa law firm.

The teen seemed to be adjusting well, his father said. Dean had made new friends at Plant High School and went to wrestling practice nearly every day.

Teachers said he is funny, outgoing and energetic.

The "I love you" text was not unusual, Damon said. Dean was affectionate, especially when he was out of town.

"He's a fantastic kid," his father said.

Police say their work immediately after a disappearance is very important. As time passes, the scope of their search increases, and Dean's resources likely decrease.

He left with cash carefully budgeted for gas, fast food, and trips to the zoo and movie theater. Friends say he did all those things.

[Image: family-asks-for-help-finding-missing-son-14733]

[Image: NCMC1184053x1.jpg]

[Image: 45a36fa3b6c39410234263194253d30f]

Scott Damon (left), the father of William "Dean" Damon who has been missing since Monday, Nov. 21, addresses the media during a press conference

He does seem like a good kid, not one that would run away either
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Tampa, Florida -- Agencies from Florida's west and east coasts continued the search Wednesday for a missing teen from Tampa.

Tampa Police say there's been no sign of 16-year-old William Damon since Monday night, when his family reported him missing.

TPD announced Wednesday they are working with Winter Park police, Volusia County Sheriff's Office, and Florida Highway Patrol in a coordinated search for Damon.

Damon's family and investigators are expected to provide updated information at a 2 p.m. press conference at Tampa Police Headquarters.

As of Wednesday morning, police say they haven't heard from Damon and leads they thought they had have not panned out.

The Plant High School junior was visiting friends in Winter Park, near Orlando, and was due to come home by dark on Monday.

Damon's father, Scott Damon tells 10 News they received a text message from him around 4 p.m. on Monday that he was on his way home.

Scott Damon says it's not like their son to not keep in touch with the family.

"He's a fun likeable kid. He's outgoing. He's friendly. He's talkative and people enjoy being around him. He's not a wild kid. He's not a difficult kid. We've never seen any sign of him being a troubled kid. We don't understand what's going on and we just want someone to help if they know anything or if they've seen him," Scott Damon said from his home on Tuesday night.

The family moved to South Tampa from Winter Park in August. Winter Park Police tell 10 News the teenager was upset about leaving his friends.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is working with the Damon family and has printed up posters with his picture and a picture of the 2007 navy Nissan Exterra he was driving.

He is classified as an endangered runaway by NCMEC.

Tampa Police say they are putting together a search plan for Damon.

a good Thanksgiving for his family, and he needs his ass beat. Bottom1
i'm glad he's safe. bye-bye car keys!

TAMPA --

The family of missing Tampa teen Dean Damon is thankful tonight after the missing boy called from a friend's house in Orlando.

William "Dean" Damon left Tampa for a friend's house on Saturday night. On Monday evening, he sent a text to his mother saying he was on his way home, but he never made it.

"He said 'I love you guys, I'm on my way home,' said Dean’s father, Scott Damon. "And I texted him back saying 'I love you, be safe.' That was just two very short sentences." Police say his cellphone hasn't been used since then.

On Thursday afternoon, officials said the friend Damon was staying with contacted authorities after seeing news reports about the 16-year-old being missing.

Damon called home and also let his parents know where he was. Damon's parents drove to Orlando and picked up their son.

So glad to hear that he was found safe. He does sound like a good kid. Just goes to show how much moving a teenager away from the home he knows has a major impact.
Glad he is fine, must have been out of character for him to do that I assume. Another safe kid is all the matters.

I heard another teen an asian girl - 14 I think has gone missing in north Carolina :( I hope this is just a case of running off to a friends also.

The Nosy Nellie in me wants to know some details! Where did he go and why? Why did his parents have to pick him up if he was driving? Thank Goodness he was found safe, but I feel like we were just left hanging...