Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Another Virginia Tech shooting
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/1...ech-campus

Two people, including a campus police officer, were shot dead Thursday at Virginia Tech, where 33 people were killed in 2007 in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, a university spokesman said.

Officials warned everyone to seek shelter while an armed suspect was at large on the campus.

The officer was shot during a traffic stop, Virginia Tech spokesman Mark Owczarski told NBC News.

"Witnesses reported to police the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased, Owczarski said....

Besides the 2007 shooting, there was that young couple who was shot in a nearby park. I don't think they've ever solved that one (unlikely that it's related to this incident though). Here's a link to the Metzler/Childs murder: Metzler/Childs murders not a cold case
Suspect still at large. Campus on lockdown. SWAT team and armored vehicles there. Clearing buildings one by one. They don't seem to have a name yet. The police officer was killed at a routine traffic stop - it seems like they'd know to whom the car is registered.
(12-08-2011, 03:39 PM)Kip Wrote: Suspect still at large. Campus on lockdown. SWAT team and armored vehicles there. Clearing buildings one by one. They don't seem to have a name yet. The police officer was killed at a routine traffic stop - it seems like they'd know to whom the car is registered.

Vehicle registration is a starting point, and will more than likely lead to a stolen vehicle.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(12-08-2011, 03:39 PM)Kip Wrote: Suspect still at large. Campus on lockdown. SWAT team and armored vehicles there. Clearing buildings one by one. They don't seem to have a name yet. The police officer was killed at a routine traffic stop - it seems like they'd know to whom the car is registered.

only if the officer had time to call it in before being shot. :(

(12-08-2011, 03:43 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: only if the officer had time to call it in before being shot. :(

Yeah...for some reason I was thinking that the suspect fled on foot after that and the vehicle would be there - but that wasn't in any story.

I can't imagine the stress of being a law enforcement officer and knowing that any traffic stop might be your last.

(12-08-2011, 03:43 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:

only if the officer had time to call it in before being shot. :(

I don't know about other depts policies, but we always called in Vehicle ID before we exited to approach.

Lic # make model and color.

many times this was done even before lighting them up, we knew who was supposed to be in the vehicle or at the very least the RO's name and address.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

you're right, that is correct procedure Dick. i don't know what happened here yet obviously. and as you said, car or plate could be stolen.

BreakingNews Breaking News
Virginia Tech suspect being apprehended on steps of performing arts building on College Ave, @CollegiateTimes is reporting
8 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply

Breaking News
Update: Virginia Tech says there will be a media briefing at 4:30 pm ET - @CollegiateTimes, @wsls
8 Dec

Collegiate Times
CollegiateTimes Collegiate Times
There will be a media briefing at Schott Media Room at 4:30 p.m., according to Virginia Tech.
8 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply
Virginia Tech suspect being apprehended on steps of performing arts building on College Ave, @CollegiateTimes is reporting

CNN is still reporting shooter remains at large.
they'll get the shooter, i hope before anyone else is killed.

[Image: va_tech2_20111208_154136.jpg]

Collegiate Times is now also saying suspect still at large. Two people dead (not known if the other was shot -- found in a parking lot where the shooter had fled after killing the officer). Still a dynamic situation. The presser will help.
alert is lifted.

gun found near 2nd deceased person, may be the shooter. still waiting for presser.

i am waiting for murdered Officer's name. :(

crime scenes still being processed. caliber of weapon found with deceased not revealed.

i guess they do think he was the shooter. not confirmed yet. Police won't comment.

no names yet.

If the deceased person in the parking garage is the shooter, it's odd that the gun wasn't found near the body earlier, and odd that the deceased wasn't identified earlier as the possible shooter by his clothing (unless the descriptions they gave out of clothing was wrong).

They still aren't sure if he was a lone shooter -- thus the delay, at least that's how I'm piecing it together. When they scheduled the presser on campus at 4:30, it was a signal that the situation was resolving -- they wouldn't invite reporters in with a gunman on the loose. You'd hope.

Sometimes I think the whole world has gone mad.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
there are so many whackos out there shooting people that this wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar if it weren't VA Tech. GunsPanic

but sadly i'll be entering another Police Officer's name into the Officer Down thread.

Tech police have confirmed that the second person found shot to death was visible in video footage taken from car of slain officer Crouse.
Identity of second man will not be released until medical examiner completes report.
9 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply
Collegiate Times
Once again, police confirm the second dead man was seen on dead officer's car camera video. Weapon was found near the second man's body.
9 Dec

Collegiate Times
Breaking: Virginia State Police confirm both Virginia Tech victims were shot with same handgun
9 Dec
Collegiate Times has a 4 page issue devoted to yesterday's events.Nice pic and write-up of the fallen officer Crouse.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/cms/resou...111209.pdf
Prayers and condolences to the friends and family of Officer Crouse.