Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
you want to be Southern?
you better eat your black-eyed peas on New Years Day for luck. my mom MADE me eat the damn things, so i bought some today. i think i'm supposed to eat some greens too. Cracker?

[Image: NY0701_Black-Eyed-Peas-with-Bacon-and-Pork_s4x3_lg.jpg]

Yup. Black eyed peas and greens. I eat collards, hate mustard greens and turnip greens. It has something to do with money and luck coming to you in the new year. I have heard 1.) peas are coins and collards are dollars, 2.) collards are dollars and peas are luck.

The secret to good collards is hard fried salt pork or fat back, not ham hock. Families that go way back use salt pork.

Cracklin corn bread is the correct accompaniment.

Cracklins:
[Image: pellets-tender-cracklin-large-550.jpg&sa...EATdikGcVA]

Cracklin are one of two things: the hard fried pieces of rind made especially to be cracklins, or the REAL deal, hard bark scraped off the outside of the smoked pig that you can only get at good BBQ places. The place I eat has the cracklins on the condiment bar by the dill pickle slices, onions, extra sauces (including the spicy mustard sauce I love), and pepper rings.

Canned peas are ok to fix (southern term similar to cooking, but not made from scratch) if you doll them up, but no matter what you read, collards have to cook for way more than an hour and canned collards are NOT ok.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
will you be my Mom? Love3

i love collard greens, and have always used salt pork like my Mom did.
and cracklin' from the pork shoulder roast was a treat! crisp and broken up and salted. mmmmm! pigskin! not just for footballs! hahaha

We've had blackeyed peas and greens every New Years for as long as I can remember. Even if we're on vacation at a hotel I'll still run out to the nearest grocery store and buy a crappy can of blackeyed peas and greens so we can all at least take one bite.
(12-29-2011, 03:33 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: will you be my Mom? Love3

Yes, and I will fry you up extra salt pork with the rind cut off. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
nope, my Mom left the rind on. and we ate it. hah
growing up the kitchen was great, my Southern Mom, my Italian Grandma, they got in each others' face more than once Catfight (my poor Dad) but WOW what food!

[Image: saltpork.jpg]

They call it strickolean in the soul food restaurants downtown by the projects. Best food ever, just don't eat the pork dishes or soups (pigs feet, ears, and chitterlings in them).
My Dad's mom is a true Southern Belle. Born in Galveston, TX. Currently 87 years old and lives in Biloxi, MS.

I've been there many, many times and have always enjoyed Southern hospitality. I've never really eaten 'true' southern food (collard greens, grits), though I guess Catfish and 'crawdaddy's' would count.

I also lived in the Texas Metroplex for a couple of years, and loved it (I should say the women, in particular). What a mix! Country girls, city girls, latinas, etc. What a blast!

Don't like fireants. I've stepped in their anthills on two different occasions and it could've been one of the worst things I've ever done. NOT recommended.

My grandparents had a home on a golf course that was set among the bayou's of MS. Pretty, pretty scenery.
I'll start mine simmerin saturday morning sometime, have a bowl for breakfast sunday and hit the road.
I'm about as Southern as you can get (Chula Vista, California) and I wouldn't touch that nasty ass shit with my cat's asshole.
(12-29-2011, 08:11 PM)Smegma Wrote: I'm about as Southern as you can get (Chula Vista, California) and I wouldn't touch that nasty ass shit with my cat's asshole.

I have NEVER classified a Californian as 'Southern'.

I also don't blame you for NOT subjecting your cat to some of that food.
Well, geographically speaking, that's pretty Southern, amirite?
(12-29-2011, 08:17 PM)Smegma Wrote: Well, geographically speaking, that's pretty Southern, amirite?

It's pretty far WEST. Are you drinking?
What the fuck does West have to do with South? Are you stupid?
Oh God, now you're getting belligerent (Hope the wine coolers are tasty).

If you polled INTELLIGENT Americans, and they had to classify California in to 1 of 4 categories, Easterners, Southerners, Westerners or Northerners, they would come up with a unanimous choice: WESTERNERS.

How are things at Miramar anyhoo??
I was actually being slightly facetious. Did you hear the "whoosh" when it went flying over your head?

I no longer live in Southern California, that's just where I grew up. I now live in a square state that starts with a vowel.
(12-29-2011, 08:41 PM)Smegma Wrote: I was actually being slightly facetious. Did you hear the "whoosh" when it went flying over your head?

I no longer live in Southern California, that's just where I grew up. I now live in a square state that starts with a vowel.

I'm deaf to go along with my other short-comings. Sure, sure go ahead and make some more jokes.
I wanna puke, you greasy high fat food southern fucks! Stop here
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-29-2011, 09:49 PM)Maggot Wrote: I wanna puke, you greasy high fat food southern fucks! Stop here

What is high fat about about beans and greens besides the fat back? (most of the fat gets fried out, btw, we don't drink the renderings)

Black eyed peas:

•Calories: 286 g
•Protein: 19.91 g
•Carbohydrates: 49.80
•Fiber: 8.9 g
•Total Fat: 1.73 g
•Saturated Fat: 0.453 g
•Monounsaturated Fat: 0.144 g
•Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.741 g
•Cholesterol: 0 mg
Micronutrients:
•Calcium: 71 mg
•Iron: 8.31 mg
•Magnesium: 278 mg
•Phosphorus: 366 mg
•Potassium: 1148 mg
•Sodium: 48 mg
•Zinc: 5.10 mg
•Vitamin C: 1.3 mg
•Thiamin: 0.568 mg
•Riboflavin: 0.142 mg
•Niacin: 2.334 mg
•Pantothenic Acid: 1.262 mg
•Vitamin B6: 0.301 mg
•Vitamin B12: 0 mcg
•Folate: 534 mcg
•Vitamin A: 28 IU

If anything, they are full of carbs.

Collards

According to the USDA National Nutrient Data Base for Daily Reference, one cup of freshly cooked collards contains 49 calories; raw they contain 11 calories. The protein content of one cup of cooked collards offers 4 grams, while the raw provides slightly less than 1 gram.

Fiber in cooked collards lists 5 grams and only 1 gram for raw. The fat content, while extremely low, is 0.7 grams for cooked and 0.2 for raw. Vitamin C is higher in cooked collards with 34.6 mg over the raw with 12.7 mg.

The vitamin A content of collards is impressive in both the cooked and raw states, with cooked providing 15417 IU and raw containing 2400 IU. Again, in their cooked state collards are higher in the B vitamins than the raw. Folic acid content for that same one cup of cooked collards provides 177 mcg, while the raw offers 60 mcg.

In mineral content cooked collards shine brighter than raw. Calcium jumps well ahead in cooked collards with 266 mg over the raw that contains only 52 mg. While the cooked greens provide 2.2 mg of iron in one cup, the raw provides only 0.07 mg.

Cooked collards burst ahead of raw with 220 mg of potassium over the raw that contains 61 mg. Even the trace mineral zinc comes out ahead in the cooked with 0.44 mg over the raw with less than 0.05 mg.

The antioxidants in both cooked and raw collards make them a highly nutritious choice to include frequently in the diet. Lutein and zeaxanthin in the cooked collards score a high 14619 mcg, while the raw reaches 3216 mcg. Beta carotene levels for the cooked collards add up to 9147 mcg, with the raw scoring at 1383 mcg. The disparities are considerable, yet both deliver impressive healthful qualities.

Cheese end eating mutherfucker.
My pediatrician gave me a pamphlet of appropriate foods for infants 4 months and over. It also has a list of things not to put in your baby's bottle, like pot liquor for example. Pot liquor is the juice leftover from the greens for those of you who don't associate much with niggers.