Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dinner this evening: Summer Risotto
1 small bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into two inch pieces
12 lb bay or sea scallops (I like the big uns)
6 to 8 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter (you can use olive oil if your arteries are plugged)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 12 cups arborio rice
2 tbsp heavy cream
12 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Steam the asparagus briefly, drain then set aside. in a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of lightly salted water to boil. Add the scallops and poach until white and firm. Drain, set aside and keep warm. In a separate saucepan, heat the broth. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute' til clear. Add the rice to the onion, reduce the heat and stir for 3 minutes. Add the hot broth about 12 cup at a time, stirring until the liquid is all absorbed before adding more. Keep cooking and stirring for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove the rice from the heat. Add the cream, Parmesan, scallops and asparagus. Salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 utterly delicious servings.
Sounds good. Will have to keep this in mind next time I use scallops.
I love real rice and will never go back to that minute crap.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(07-15-2012, 06:31 PM)Maggot Wrote: I love real rice and will never go back to that minute crap.

same here! i really like the yellow Vigo rice, but the BEST was my Italian grandmother's REAL short-grain risotto, stirred for a long time and creamy. liquid must be chicken broth. served with parmesan! mmmmmmmmm

mmmm indeed. stirring the chicken broth in until it's all incorporated takes forever, but the whole house smells so good while you're doing it. I agree that processed stuff should be put in the bird feeder.
Thanks for the recipe Ma, sounds great, just printed it out.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

You're welcome. Smiley_emoticons_smile
for authentic delicious real risotto, you need arborio rice. easy to find in your market.

[Image: lucedio_arborio_rice__33015_zoom.jpg]

[Image: BT000898VIRIAR1001KGBX.png]

[Image: Ecommerce%20%26%20Wine%20030.jpg]

[Image: 83323-6__52796_zoom.png]

All this is making me crave risoto. But I did have rice..made stuffed peppers.
(07-15-2012, 06:31 PM)Maggot Wrote: I love real rice and will never go back to that minute crap.
rant
Instant Rice is the biggest son of a bitch in the Vegetable Kingdom. It's the coworker that talks shit behind your back and denies it to your face; it's the gag lottery ticket your asshole brother got you for your birthday; it's the waiter that assures you there's no problem with special orders, then pisses in your vegan minestrone (you kind of deserved that one, though).
Instant Rice should always be regarded with fear and revulsion, and exterminated with fire wherever found. If left unchecked, the Instant Rice's primary purpose is plowing your wallet right in its asshole (you know that little hole, down at the bottom of the billfold where the creases meet? Yep. That's what that is.) as although it is cheap to purchase your medical bills from having consumed gallons of it over a lifetime will creep and destroy your savings along with your dignity.

Take the time. Do it right. Cook your own damn rice...
end-of-rant
Bass Ass Grin
(07-15-2012, 06:59 PM)Carsman Wrote: Thanks for the recipe Ma, sounds great, just printed it out.

Yeah it does sound great.

*copies and pastes into online recipes collection*
You can't afford scallops. Or real butter.

Why poach the scallops, Ma? I don't think I've ever had poached scallops...
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(07-16-2012, 12:45 AM)Cracker Wrote: You can't afford scallops. Or real butter.

My food stamps say I can.Blowing-kisses
(07-16-2012, 01:29 AM)Clang McFly Wrote:

hah
I'm not sure how to react.

Men usually have a little pride.

Torn.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(07-16-2012, 01:29 AM)Clang McFly Wrote:

That kinda bugs me.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Oh dear. That is just wrong on so many levels.
It was funny, but damn. If I think about how hard I busted my ass to feed my family during the hard times it isn't as funny. I have been working full-time since I was in middle school.

I think that is my hot-button issue. Not the food stamps, but the whole don't-give-a-shit lifestyle.
I'm so tired that my eyeballs are hanging out of my head. I made my self a hot chocolate and had some spongecake for dinner. I can't, just can't face cooking. It would be nice for someone to cook me a lovely gourmet meal like that.