Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shooting Naked People
"An 18-year-old University of South Alabama freshman was shot and killed when he repeatedly charged at a campus police officer.

The cop investigated someone banging at the campus police station window early Saturday and found Gilbert Thomas Collar, naked and acting erratically, the Montgomery Advertiser reported.

He argued with the officer and rushed to attack him multiple times.

The officer reportedly tried to back away and defuse the situation, but Collar wouldn’t relent. He “continued to press toward the officer in a threatening manner,” according to a university press release.

After repeatedly ordering Collar to stop, the officer fired one round through his chest, knocking him to the ground.

Collar actually stood up and continued to challenge the cop until he died, the university said."

Damn. Did they have to shoot him in the chest? He obviously didn't have a weapon...

I think there should be a "Lump Law" on the books. LEO shouldn't be allowed to use deadly force against naked people, people in bikinis/speedos, and people wearing spandex or other form-fitting attire that allows others to see the general size/shape of their sexual organs.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

Wow...again with them shooting someone dead. They have access to some serious pepper spray, stronger than what we have access to and they have tasers yet it never occurs to them that they have options.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Last week two police officers repsonded to a call about a carehome patient who was confined to a wheelchair and had one arm and one leg. He cornered one of the police officers and threatened him with a pen (the officers didn't know what it was), so the other police officer shot him in the head an killed him. No tasing attempt, no use of the baton, no attempt to shoot him in the arm: just a fatal shot.

Now this? I understand that these can be dangerous situations with out-of-control individuals, but really don't understand why fatal shots were necessary in either case. Makes me seriously question how well these officers are trained.
Hard for me to call this situation. The guy was naked so the cop could see he wasn't armed. You'd think a baton would be enough to subdue the average unarmed guy. And if the cop had a taser, he should have used that. I've read about so many cases where two or three cops have trouble pursuing a suspect who's high on drugs, that I can understand the concern of a cop on his own. But a shoulder or leg shot seems more appropriate in this situation.
I don't think the cop wanted his dick on him. That's the only sense I can make of it.

The kid was probably drunk and wanted to wrestle. Eighteen year old college students drink, campus cops should know better.

Stupid acts like this and the one HotD mentioned make it hard for the sensible cops who HAVE to use deadly force. Now the hoodrats will be all up in arms when the neighborhood crack dealer takes a bullet.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Tazers are good for the situation described- as far as it was described.

Pepper spray, not so much as it is likely to get all over the officer's face too (someone rushing at him).
Pepper spray is an excellent tool when two other people (or more) are fighting each other, not when one is engaging with the officer.

But, like others have stated, the Tazer appears to be the go-to weapon here...
The problem is not his wardrobe, it's his aggression. It's easy to laugh and say someone is not a threat sans clothes, but don't forget zombie guy in Florida was naked, and one of the key aspects of the recent bath salts attacks has been that the crazed people rip all their clothes off.

I live by a basic rule that has kept me safe up til now: don't attack cops, and don't bring a penis to a gunfight.
(10-07-2012, 12:24 PM)Donovan Wrote: I live by a basic rule that has kept me safe up til now: don't attack cops, and don't bring a penis to a gunfight.

hah

If an officer can't get a handle on a naked aggressor, they should find a different job. Or go hide in the car until backup arrives. I think, as described, this could have gone another way...

The face-eating guy was a completely different situation.
You ever fight a crazy motherfucker? Someone jacked up on who knows what?
Where is it written that the cops should fight fair? Would YOU want to go up against some crazy fuck with a stick, just because he isn't carrying a gun? Officers have to be certified to carry a taser, did this guy have one? Taser is more complicated to operate than a gun. Ever see the cop videos showing some crazy fuck get tased and keep on coming? If the guy was in close and it sounds like he was the cop is perfectly entitled to use whatever force he sees as necessary.
Should this kid have gotten a break because mom and dad didn't teach him its not ok to attack a cop while high and nakid?
Fuck him, bleach for the gene pool
His mom:

Bonnie Collar said she did not know why her son was acting that way when he was killed. She said he weighed 135 pounds and was 5-foot-7 with a wrestler's build.

"The first thing on my mind is, freshman kids do stupid things, and campus police should be equipped to handle activity like that without having to use lethal force," she said.

I think I agree. It was a college campus, not a low-income housing project. I know college students can be shits, but the campus police should also know that. Dude didn't even have Skittles to protect himself. And he didn't touch the officer (as reported, he might have) and the officer was right outside the station. He could have just locked the door...
(10-07-2012, 12:33 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: You ever fight a crazy motherfucker? Someone jacked up on who knows what?
Where is it written that the cops should fight fair? Would YOU want to go up against some crazy fuck with a stick, just because he isn't carrying a gun? Officers have to be certified to carry a taser, did this guy have one? Taser is more complicated to operate than a gun*. Ever see the cop videos showing some crazy fuck get tased and keep on coming?** If the guy was in close and it sounds like he was the cop is perfectly entitled to use whatever force he sees as necessary.
Should this kid have gotten a break because mom and dad didn't teach him its not ok to attack a cop while high and nakid?

I'm with you in sentiment, but not in fact.
*First: A taser is not more complicated to use than a handgun. I'm issued the taser along with a Glock and they're similar in nature when training kicks in.
What is wrong with a taser, and segueing into my second point:

**If you miss or contact is weak (say, through a thick ski jacket or multiple layers of clothing) then it is somewhat ineffective.
I have to believe the videos you referenced where the aggressor continues to charge even after being tazed is due to improper deployment.
When full contact is made, no one- and I mean no one can escape the effects of electricity. (It'll even stop a bull in its tracks. Google that video.)
When you watch these videos and you hear the taser, you can be assured full contact is not made- thus way less effective. A deployed taser that is also silent is working then at its full capacity.

Now, what we don't know in the OP's synopsis is if the suspect is attempting to take the officer's gun. In that struggle, the officer is fully expected to prevent this even with the applied use of deadly force.

(Aiming at anything outside of center mass- the chest area- is not fruitful.)
(10-07-2012, 12:44 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 12:33 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: You ever fight a crazy motherfucker? Someone jacked up on who knows what?
Where is it written that the cops should fight fair? Would YOU want to go up against some crazy fuck with a stick, just because he isn't carrying a gun? Officers have to be certified to carry a taser, did this guy have one? Taser is more complicated to operate than a gun*. Ever see the cop videos showing some crazy fuck get tased and keep on coming?** If the guy was in close and it sounds like he was the cop is perfectly entitled to use whatever force he sees as necessary.

I'm with you in sentiment, but not in fact.
*First: A taser is not more complicated to use than a handgun. I'm issued the taser along with a Glock and they're similar in nature when training kicks in.
What is wrong with a taser, and segueing into my second point:

**If you miss or contact is weak (say, through a thick ski jacket or multiple layers of clothing) then it is somewhat ineffective.
I have to believe the videos you referenced where the aggressor continues to charge even after being tazed is due to improper deployment.
When full contact is made, no one- and I mean no one can escape the effects of electricity. (It'll even stop a bull in its tracks. Google that video.)
When you watch these videos and you hear the taser, you can be assured full contact is not made- thus way less effective. A deployed taser that is also silent is working then at its full capacity.

Now, what we don't know in the OP's synopsis is if the suspect is attempting to take the officer's gun. In that struggle, the officer is fully expected to prevent this even with the applied use of deadly force.

(Aiming at anything outside of center mass- the chest area- is not fruitful.)

With you on all of that. Having been tasered I can say with no reservation it hurts like a motherfucker and dropped me like a sack of rocks. Also agreed about the proper deployment, I think thats what I was referring to about the additional complication. You have to get well connected for it to work well. Also agreed on the content of the OP, wasn't there and don't know. More to come no doubt. My only real point in these threads is this: If your in a fair fight, you need better tactics, You never attack the police, It is not written that the police should knuckle up with some cracked out asshole. In previous lives I have walked on the dark side, bounced in bars and the like, I can tell you that pound for pound, drugs make for a scarry oponent. I have had to take down women that weighed in under 100 lbs and they were like trying to fuck a bear, I got over being worried about hurting them after the first one kicked me in the balls. Now I am an old guy, 2 bad shoulders and not to enclined to dance around anymore. Very seldome involved in physical altercations anymore, that said, I will pick up a weapon and more than even the odds if I am not carrying, if I am carrying, well, theres the law...
And Thank you BTW for your service
Don't campus cops take "target practice"? Granted the C Cop may have felt he needed to use his weapon for self defense, but shooting the kid in the leg would have stopped him just as well. And if the kid still kept on coming, shoot the other leg.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(10-07-2012, 03:44 PM)Carsman Wrote: Don't campus cops take "target practice"? Granted the C Cop may have felt he needed to use his weapon for self defense, but shooting the kid in the leg would have stopped him just as well. And if the kid still kept on coming, shoot the other leg.

Thats not the training, anywhere.
Training says Center Mass if you have to shoot. Trying to get one in the leg can get you killed.
(10-07-2012, 03:53 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 03:44 PM)Carsman Wrote: Don't campus cops take "target practice"? Granted the C Cop may have felt he needed to use his weapon for self defense, but shooting the kid in the leg would have stopped him just as well. And if the kid still kept on coming, shoot the other leg.

Thats not the training, anywhere.
Training says Center Mass if you have to shoot. Trying to get one in the leg can get you killed.

Then seems Training (specifically on a college campus) should be reviewed, to deal with handling "drunken/high" college kids. It is on a college campus, not in a war zone. Rational logic would think a Kill shot is really not required (not std practice) on a drunk small 5'-7' kid) college kid.
(Shades of Travon?)

^
It's not TV camp. No agency anywhere at anytime has taught proper principles that would include "shooting in the leg" or, worse: "shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand".

Even center mass, you're lucky if one in three rounds land on your target acquisition. Sadly, most just wildly shoot until your instinctive training kicks in.
Yep, thats what I have seen. Scene of shootout, 57 rounds fired, 1 hit on the perp, non life threatning injuries. Lots of windows and walls get killed though
(10-07-2012, 06:08 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: ^
It's not TV camp. No agency anywhere at anytime has taught proper principles that would include "shooting in the leg" or, worse: "shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand".

Even center mass, you're lucky if one in three rounds land on your target acquisition. Sadly, most just wildly shoot until your instinctive training kicks in.

That's why I asked about target practice training. I realize what you're saying about hard to hit target. (I have trouble hitting a stationary target) Yes, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the situation. But this college kid was not firing a gun at the campus cop, therefore making him a deadly threat to the c cop. I guess you really had to be there, to get the real picture/threat.

Shooting him seems like overkill (har, har). I'd like to know the build of the officer. Granted I guess there's the possibility of the kid taking away his weapon but I would think a baton whack or good old fashioned tackle would have been a more reasonable response. I wonder if there was anyone else around. You would think if the officer tackled him, others would help subdue him.

As far as a taser goes, maybe he didn't have one.
Commando Cunt Queen
Whatever happened to some good ole rocksalt.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.