Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
STUFF IT!!
I'm cooking traditional Thanksgiving dinner. In the past, I've just spiced up Stove Top Stuffing from the box.

Hey, it's really good! But, I'm thinking outside the box this year and kinda wanna do something different/special.

What's your stuffing preference or recipe? Do you throw in nuts, and raisins, or anything else?

Cook it inside the turkey or separately?

TIA for your recommendations.

And, please don't tell me to "stuff it" or "get stuffed", stuffing is serious business to me right now and I dont wanna have to give anyone the bird...

I wish I could help you but I'm mostly in charge of arranging flowers, pouring wine and sometimes slicing & dicing.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
My Grandmother used to make a kick ass stuffing that had sausage, mushrooms and watercress in it. I wish I knew who got her recipe box when she died.

Stuff the bird....Always stuff the bird Smiley_emoticons_razz
We do stuffing inside and outside the bird. I actually prefer it cooked outside.

You start by chopping up celery and onions. Saute them in lot of melted butter. Add in breadcrumbs, stuffing mix, chicken stock, some spices I can't remember which right now and some other stuff. Sorry, I don't have the recipe in front of me. Oh and chopped walnuts. Bake and eat.

Or my sister has this great recipe where you use Stove Top but add browned veal and cream of mushroom soup and sliced mushrooms. OMG, it's so good! You don't cook it in the bird though.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
hah
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(11-19-2012, 01:49 PM)Maggot Wrote: hah

Don't laugh! I'm totally serious. I'm really wanna do a great dinner this year.

And, I've already gotten some good tips.

1. sausage sounds like a very good idea; considering the watercress (no big mushroom fans in the family).

2. might use some cream of celery soup to keep it from getting dry.

3. gonna cook one batch stove top and stuff the bird with a second batch. The stuffing inside the bird will have celery and onions and sausage, but the stove top version will be more plain for the little ones.

So, Maggot, either tell me how you like your stuffing and contribute to this valuable thread, or.... well..... just keep laughing. That's okay too, turkey. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(11-19-2012, 11:40 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: And, please don't tell me to "stuff it" or "get stuffed", stuffing is serious business to me right now and I dont wanna have to give anyone the bird...

hah Clever girl. I missed this the first time I went through this thread.
Have you considered ice cream stuffing with cherries and whipped cream?

Once or twice while high I have wanted to stuff my face with that.
We've got to get payroll in by this afternoon (a day early) so that everybody gets their checks deposited by Friday.

Plus, I've gotta get the house back in order.

So, I'm off soon, but I'm gonna check back-in and hopefully get some more stuffing ideas.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE AT MOCK.
I'm truly thankful for all of the smiles that you funny smartasses provide daily. Cheers
The other day I found a can of whipped cream in the fridge and thought hmmmm i heard that there is laughing gas in these things so I raise it to my nose and started sniffling the gas. after a couple seconds my kid came running to the door and whacked it making me spray the stuff on my nose just in time to turn around and see my wife standing there saying. "What the hell are you doing" hah
I have always Fried and Smoked turkies which does not lend itself well to Stuffing, So, I have a recipe that works well. I mince up 2 stalks of cellery, 3 large onions and saute all that in a little butter to reduce it down a bit and cook through.
2 bags of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned bread crumbs and 2 pans of Yellow Cornbread (cooked and crumbled)
A little salt, pepper, sage to taste, mix it all together.
Add in a couple cans of cream of mushroom and cream of cellery soup (organic of course) and then just heat it through.
Options are chopped boiled eggs, sausage (cooked seperately and drained), sliced mushrooms etc..

No bird even needed, this make a Huge batch but you can cut it in half.
That sounds so good, Six. Thanks! I'm getting hungry in here.

Lots of good and different stuffing ideas. Actually gonna print the thread so I have it when I hit the grocery store.

(The only one that I won't be throwing in the mix is Maggot's ice cream stuffing suggestion, no way the ice cream wouldn't melt inside that bird - no way!)
(11-19-2012, 05:27 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I have always Fried and Smoked turkies which does not lend itself well to Stuffing, So, I have a recipe that works well. I mince up 2 stalks of cellery, 3 large onions and saute all that in a little butter to reduce it down a bit and cook through.
2 bags of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned bread crumbs and 2 pans of Yellow Cornbread (cooked and crumbled)
A little salt, pepper, sage to taste, mix it all together.
Add in a couple cans of cream of mushroom and cream of cellery soup (organic of course) and then just heat it through.
Options are chopped boiled eggs, sausage (cooked seperately and drained), sliced mushrooms etc..

No bird even needed, this make a Huge batch but you can cut it in half.

I do mine similar, but on a smaller scale. Sometimes I substitute the sausage for cooked crumbled bacon and it's equally good.

I like oyster dressing myself, but no one else in my family likes it.
If you have it in your area, Martins Potato Bread stuffing can be a nice alternative:

[Image: D0BW9.jpg]
Have you considered apples and cranberries in the stuffing? Just a thought....
(11-19-2012, 08:50 PM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: Have you considered apples and cranberries in the stuffing? Just a thought....

Actually, my mom loves cranberries and usually just buys a can of cranberry sauce for herself because no one else likes it. But, I bet everyone would like some cranberries in the stuffing (they like 'em in salad). That's a good thought. Thanks.
(11-19-2012, 08:50 PM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: Have you considered apples and cranberries in the stuffing? Just a thought....

Yes. When my mom makes the stuffing from scratch she puts apples in it as well as celery, onions, sausage, raisins, and various spices.

This year one of my brothers is making everything so I have no idea what will be in the stuffing this year.
Can of cranberry sauce? Smiley_emoticons_shocked
(11-19-2012, 10:33 PM)Maggot Wrote: Can of cranberry sauce? Smiley_emoticons_shocked

Yep, and it's all jiggly and shaped like the can when she puts in on the plate. She deserves much better. She's gettin' some real cranberries in her stuffing this year (and the canned shit too, if she wants it)...