Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RACE-BAITING

In your opinion, is this race-baiting?

A story that appeared in Philadelphia Magazine this month features a series of interviews with unnamed white residents living in different parts of Philadelphia who talk about their dealings with African-Americans.

The Philadelphia Magazine article, written in the first person by reporter Robert Huber, begins with him expressing concerns for the safety of his younger son, who attends Temple University and rents an apartment with two roommates in a 'bad' part of town near the school.

Huber goes on to write that white Philadelphians don’t merely avoid the poor, predominantly African-American neighborhoods, but 'do their best to erase them' from their thoughts due to the feelings of unease over questions of race.

Much of the story consists of vignettes gathered by the author from his interviews with white residents about misunderstandings and confrontations with their black neighbors, like the 26-year-old high school teacher who was accused of being racist for calling an unruly African-American student 'boy' in the heat of an argument.

A Caucasian student from Villanova University told Huber she had faced a similar situation when she sent a Facebook message to her entire class asking if anyone had picked up her lost BlackBerry, only to be scolded by the sole black girl in her lab class who perceived her message to be directed at her.

In one interview with a Russian 'beauty' whom Hubert met in the Fairmount section of town, the woman he dubbed 'Anna' told him that 'blacks use skin color as an excuse,' and rather than work and pay taxes, 'they are sitting on porches smoking pot' and 'just make babies.'

An 87-year-old man named 'John' recalled an encounter with a young boy who came into his house saying: 'It was a nigger boy, a big tall kid. He wanted money.'

The tone of the piece, which explores the idea that white people are afraid to speak out about their concerns over race relations for fear of being labelled intolerant, has set off a firestorm in the media, with many in the African-American community accusing the author of the piece and the magazine of race-baiting.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-17-2013, 11:44 AM)Duchess Wrote:

As the author is white . . . absolutely.

If the author was non-white . . . an insightful piece depicting the Caucasian intolerance towards our citizens of color.

As to race baiting . . . a piece of fried chicken on a string usually does the trick for me.
(03-17-2013, 11:44 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Nah, but it's pretty disappointing that a lot of legitimate attempts to explore and discuss race relations and how people really feel are often labeled as "baiting". It's a global "shhh" topic; not just an American one. Definitely not a black and white only issue.

Having said that, the art of intentional race baiting is definitely alive and well in American politics, the media, society, internet forums, etc... It ain't going anywhere. For some, it's a career maker.

Some of the master baiters with seemingly unyielding stamina; always sniffing for a pot to stir, imo.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5UiHsOsnSCpF4G20CdNZ...24-o5eoAKl][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaTLm4jyi2cncRe0gqIIr...3HLbqP9YY9]

(03-17-2013, 11:55 AM)BlueTiki Wrote: As to race baiting . . . a piece of fried chicken on a string usually does the trick for me.

hah Damn it, that made me laugh out loud.

You must be a racist!! And, since I laughed, I'm a racist too!!!

"Racist" and "bully", probably the most incorrectly and overly used labels by people failing to make their point in a legitimate internet discussion, imo.
If Bill Cosby isn't allowed to tell them anything, nobody is.

Blacks got pissed when the CDC reported 48% of African American women have herpes. (That's true, btw, look it up.) Instead of buying condoms, they pulled the race card. Now they still have herpes and nobody cares.

The poor black community (and poor white community) doesn't really want help, they just want money. If they wanted help, they would have awesome graduation rates.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Almost half of the black women in Smerica have Heroes?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(03-17-2013, 04:59 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Almost half of the black women in Smerica have Heroes?

hahahahahahaha!

God damn it, ramsey.

Yes. And they didn't get it from white men so don't let Jsmom hook you up...
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(03-17-2013, 04:59 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Almost half of the black women in Smerica have Heroes?

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
She's doing that shit on purpose, she has to be.
Equality is here, today its about "payback"
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.