Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crab cakes
I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but does anyone have a great crab cake recipe? I made some a few weeks ago and I still have a pound of crab meat leftover in the freezer that I need to use. The ones I made were ok, but not wow.

Woof.

I actually just looked at some a couple hours ago but I decided against it because I had never bought any there before and I had concerns they would be mostly filler.

I don't have a recipe. Surprise! I've only ever watched it done and all I recall is Old Bay, eggs and bread crumbs.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yeah most recipes just have a few basic ingredients as you want mostly crab and not a lot of filler, but for some reason mine don't come out as good as the ones I get at my favorite restaurant for crab cakes. But I guess that's why they have a restaurant, for food that you can't get anywhere else.

Now I'm thinking about the seafood restaurant I go to. It's very basic, there are picnic tables on a porch and they lay sheets of paper across them and dump the crabs in the middle. I only like the claws and the little metal pails filled clams. I don't like hush puppies but I do like the little balls filled with broccoli & cheese, corn & cheese. Melted cheese, mmmm. I'm so hungry. What's for dinner? I'd like some clams, steamed clams.
I'm not a fan of hush puppies either. It's just a ball of deep fried cornmeal, it's not disgusting or anything but I could live without it. I like conch fritters and clam fritters and corn fritters and any balls filled with cheese though.
Try a little paprika but only good stuff, check for worms before using. Maybe some fresh scallions and cut cabbage like an egg roll.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I knew I could count on you for great advice.
I sometimes amaze even myself, It may be hereditary because all us maggots tend to be amazing.
My better half found her recipie her friend gave her for crab cakes.

I don't like crab, so I'm out, but all crab lovers we know love these cakes.

2 scallions, finely chopped
14 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice plus wedges for garnish
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 12 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
12 jalapeƱo, finely chopped (remove seeds)
1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
1-3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
14 teaspoon kosher salt
18 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 head lettuce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preparation

Whisk first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add crab; fold to blend. Stir in 34 cup panko, chives, salt, and pepper. Divide into 6 equal portions. Form each into 1"-thick patties. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. Line a platter with lettuce leaves.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place remaining 12 cup panko on a plate. Coat cakes with panko. Fry until golden brown and crisp, around 3-4 minutes per side.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I'm going to try it today, I like that there's a jalapeno in there and I haven't tried using panko before. Thank you.
Good one Cars. Most of the recipes I have found have too much liquid in them and it makes them not stick together, got to try this one

I googled bread crumbs vs planko. I'm buying some planko.
Panko you freak.

Aww fuckity fuck. PlankoPlankoPlanko. I'll look for it next to the clrumbs.
I'm on my daughters phone, stupid mf added an l to mine too. Sorry for calling you a freakp
(07-14-2016, 05:54 PM)sally Wrote: stupid mf added an l to mine too. Sorry for calling you a freakp

I only added that to mock yours. 39

...and I quoted the apology to prove hell froze over.
I'm putting the crab cakes off until tomorrow. It's too late. I ordered take out from the German place instead and the lady barely speaks any English, I swear I was on the phone with her for a half hour. It probably would have been faster just to make the damn crab cakes.

"You want the Matterhorn Schnitzel"

"No I want the Milano schnitzel"

"You mean you want thee Matterhorn schnitzel"

"No I mean the Me-la-no schnitzel"

"Ok so one Matterhorn schnitzel"

"yeah, great."

I guess I'm getting the Matterhorn schnitzel.
What the heck is Matterhorn schnitzel?
They have like 20 different schnitzels there. I think the matterhorn is the one topped with cheese, caramelized onions and a fried egg.
I may try Cars crabby cakes soon.