Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venison
Wow-the kid actually dropped a Buck this year. After processing we ended up with roughly 60 pounds of Bambi roasts, steaks and burger.

Anyone got a favorite recipe they would care to share?

I've made meatloaf before, using BBQ Sauce and Bacon, and I've cooked deer steak before, but I'd like to try some different marinades, stews, etc.

Hopefully the hunters on here will have a good recipe or 2.
I have used the hamburg with hamburger helper quite a few times.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
i've never tried venison, i know it's silly, but i have an irrational psychological barrier to it. like horsemeat. DeerBeat_deadhorse

You can use just about any marinate you like, I do a ginger,curry,honey,hickory marinade that is good.make sure you mix enough to cover the meat, or have it in tupperware where you can turn it every few hours.

The measures are to taste with the ginger and curry but never more than a teaspoon of either, Mix a little worcester with the BBQ sauce as well as salt and pepper, cloves of garlic sliced not crushed I like puree jalapenos in mine every one's mileage is different.

marinate over night if your sauce covers the meat if you have to turn it to saturate the meat then 6 or 7 hours min., bake slow 300 degree's or grill for 15 minutes and then slow cook in the oven with the sauce at 275 until done, don't overcook, the cooking times depend on the cut of the meat, roast or butterflies, butterflies cook much faster and should be left slightly pink in the middle, same for the roast.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I always hated venison when growing up because I learned to hate it from my mother. Like LC said, it was like eating horse meat. But I have learned to really like it now. My husband got a nice sized buck a few weeks ago so we will be cooking a lot of venison for the next few months.

First off, I made chili from some of the ground venison. We ground the venison meat with beef fat. (ended up with about 40 pounds)

One of my favorite tricks for cooking venison is a marinade called Game Tamer. I even add some to my chili. (see chili thread for complete discussion of what is and is not chili, depending on where you live.)

A slow cooker is perfect for cooking the roasts and stew meats. Even a simple vinegar and oil marinade is perfect or a bottle Italian salad dressing. I like to add some other warm notes like soy sauce, onions, fresh garlic and chopped fresh ginger. Throw in some potatoes and carrots and make it a meal.

Hmmm..ImaDick...I think I'll try adding some curry seasonings to my next roast. I also like the sweet combo like adding some brown sugar or honey to the rub.

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of ground venison and it's really good in a bolognese sauce over pasta.
(11-28-2011, 02:50 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: i've never tried venison, i know it's silly, but i have an irrational psychological barrier to it. like horsemeat. DeerBeat_deadhorse

I have a small barrier too but if I was ever offered some of either somewhere I would definitely try it.
86 112
It's more like Buffalo meat than anything. Very lean and it needs fat to make it better. Sausage is the way to go and pork is the best mixer. I had some a couple days ago cooked on the grill and it was very good. I would kinda hate to eat it all winter though. But would if thats all there was. It aint no different than eating hog or fish or steer. Ya gotta mix it up though and its not an all alone type of meat like shellfish. I could eat that 247 with pasta and a white sauce, sprinkled with paprika and fresh bread dipped in olive oil. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

Hungry?

Did MF just say he would be willing to try horse meat?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Are you going to see the new movie "War horse"?

I just saw a promo for that the other day! It looks like something that would make me cry so probably not. hah
(11-29-2011, 07:04 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Did MF just say he would be willing to try horse meat?

Yeah ...
86 112
(11-28-2011, 10:43 PM)Maggot Wrote: It's more like Buffalo meat than anything. Very lean and it needs fat to make it better. Sausage is the way to go and pork is the best mixer. I had some a couple days ago cooked on the grill and it was very good. I would kinda hate to eat it all winter though. But would if thats all there was. It aint no different than eating hog or fish or steer. Ya gotta mix it up though and its not an all alone type of meat like shellfish. I could eat that 247 with pasta and a white sauce, sprinkled with paprika and fresh bread dipped in olive oil. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

Hungry?

One day I gotta visit you or something ... you always do COOL SHIT.

86 112
(11-29-2011, 11:13 AM)Middle Finger Wrote: Yeah ...

[Image: slap.gif]

(11-29-2011, 11:22 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Let me put it this way ... if you had me over, and we smoked a little weed, had a glass of wine with dinner, and you proudly served some venison or horse meat ... I'm eating it all, basically. I wouldn't dare insult you or your time and effort, and I certainly would try to remain open.
86 112
(11-29-2011, 01:38 PM)Middle Finger Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 11:22 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Let me put it this way ... if you had me over, and we smoked a little weed, had a glass of wine with dinner, and you proudly served some venison or horse meat ... I'm eating it all, basically. I wouldn't dare insult you or your time and effort, and I certainly would try to remain open.

How absolutely ass kisser of you.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

If I had you over the last thing I would be doing would be cooking for you. Smiley_emoticons_fies
(11-29-2011, 01:42 PM)IMaDick Wrote: How absolutely ass kisser of you.

Oh my gods! What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you always respond that way whenever anyone shows me the slightest bit of attention?

(11-29-2011, 01:56 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 01:42 PM)IMaDick Wrote: How absolutely ass kisser of you.

Oh my gods! What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you always respond that way whenever anyone shows me the slightest bit of attention?

It could have happened to anyone.

John Adams

Uh..ooookay. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch