Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Presidential race 2016
There's a story I haven't bothered to link because it's pretty much everywhere, that Trump's huge veteran fundraiser way back in I think last year (in which he slammed John McCain for being a prisoner of war and not doing as much for veterans as the Donald), raised multiple millions of dollars that apparently went straight into Donald's coffers. Nary a dime went to any of the veterans groups. And now they're starting to pry into his other endeavors. Looks like the teflon Don should have taken a hard look at Duchess' bullfight picture. America likes nothing more than building up its idols and then tearing them down.

Still really worried about his idiot followers though.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
I remember Nixon and his transgressions pale in comparison to todays politicians. He would be considered a liberal by todays standards and as I've said before other elections have been just as complex as todays. In the end and alone in a voting booth people will vote what they will and that is one of the biggest fears of the Democrats. Let the super delegates decide not the voters themselves.

For his running mate, he chose governor of Maryland Spiro T. Agnew. His Democratic opponent, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, was weakened by internal divisions within his own party, stemming in part from the growing dissatisfaction with the Johnson administration’s handling of the Vietnam War. Alabama governor George C. Wallace—running on a third party ticket—further complicated the election. Although Nixon and Humphrey each gained about 43 percent of the popular vote, the distribution of Nixon’s nearly 32 million votes gave him a clear majority in the electoral college.

link for the second paragraph
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I don't understand, Mags. Why do you keep suggesting that about the Super Delegates choosing the Democratic nominee? There has never been a Democratic nominee determined by Super Delegates. When Obama surpassed Hillary in voter/earned delegates, the Super Delegates previously supporting her did not override the people's majority choice.

Do you think if Bernie Sanders somehow surpasses Hillary Clinton and secures the required 2,383 voter/earned delegates that the Super Delegates at the Democratic convention would vote for Hillary and deny Bernie the nomination?
Yesterday, Ted Cruz swept the Colorado Republican primary convention and got all 34 Republican delegates.

Bernie Sanders beat Hillary Clinton in Wyoming yesterday with 56% of the caucus vote. They each walked away with 7 delegates based on how the state awards them, but the victory was important to Sanders' narrative and momentum. He's now won 7 out of the last 8 contests.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/...gates.html
(04-10-2016, 12:47 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't understand, Mags. Why do you keep suggesting that about the Super Delegates choosing the Democratic nominee? There has never been a Democratic nominee determined by Super Delegates. When Obama surpassed Hillary in voter/earned delegates, the Super Delegates previously supporting her did not override the people's majority choice.

Do you think if Bernie Sanders somehow surpasses Hillary Clinton and secures the required 2,383 voter/earned delegates that the Super Delegates at the Democratic convention would vote for Hillary and deny Bernie the nomination?

Delegates are not held to whomever they were delegated as far as popular vote is concerned, they can change as the end of the circus draws to an end. Many will not step off the plantation but some do.
And yes if Bernie gains the majority (I don't see that happening) I could see them defecting towards the anointed one in a heartbeat.
I don't think the DNC would make history (in a bad way) by going against the will of the voters. It wouldn't make sense. Bernie soundly trounces Cruz and beats Trump in current general election polls, Hillary not so much. Also, if Bernie's large youth and Independent bases stayed home because he was denied the nomination, that would hurt Clinton and the Democratic party. The DNC will not hand Hillary the nomination just to deny giving it to Bernie; the Democrats are in too strong a general election position to make such a self-destructive move. I think Bernie in the White House is much more appealing to them than a Republican.

I do agree with you, however, about Sanders not likely being able to catch up with Clinton in voter/earned delegates anyway. I think it's highly likely that Clinton will earn the Democratic nomination without a contested convention. If she does, I bet the DNC is hoping it's Trump that gets the Republican nomination because Hillary has a better chance of beating him than she does Kasich or even Cruz, in my opinion.

Anyway, the RNC, not the DNC, is the only party with a delegate loyalty issue in this particular election and that's simply because none of the 3 candidates has a viable chance of earning the 1,237 voter delegate majority at this point. There were too many GOP candidates in their race for too long and the remaining three are splitting the remainder of the votes between themselves.

I think it would be a huge hit to the Republican party if Donald Trump is way ahead in voter/earned delegates but is denied the nomination at the Convention in July. But, he keeps bitching about the process/rules not being fair when they're the same for every Republican candidate. I don't think he understood at all how the delegation worked and what would be going down at a contested convention until recently, but Cruz and Kasich sure as hell did. Cruz and Kasich understand well that plurality and majority are not the same, and that a plurality of delegates doesn't guarantee Trump squat.

Trump should have been meeting with delegates months ago if he was serious about winning the presidency; it's no secret that the RNC and Republican delegates may well consider a Trump nomination death to the party. So, they just might vote it to Cruz or Kasich even if Trump has a sizable earned/voter delegate lead. The RNC doesn't really have a winning option this election, in my view.

Anyway, Trump's obviously now aware of how losing some support over the last couple of weeks (making 1,237 even less likely) and failing to understand the process has cost him. He's now secured Paul Manafort as his primary campaign manager, smart move. I don't know if it will help him improve delegate loyalty, but I think it's his best bet. Manafort and the staff he'll be bringing to the Trump campaign were instrumental in delegate loyalty strategies and floor fighting at the last contested Republican national convention between Reagan and Ford back in 1976.
(04-10-2016, 02:06 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: he keeps bitching about the process/rules not being fair

I've loved every minute of it. hah

He tweeted this earlier -

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 5h5 hours ago
I win a state in votes and then get non-representative delegates because they are offered all sorts of goodies by Cruz campaign. Bad system!

Can he sue me for swipin' his tweets? I'm mostly kidding.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

HotD, he's still going at it. He is absolutely outraged and bitchin' his face off. How can someone get into politics without knowing how things are done. He swears that when he is elected President there are going to be changes made. Every time I turn around I see him saying he is being treated badly and unfairly.
(04-11-2016, 12:25 PM)Duchess Wrote: HotD, he's still going at it. He is absolutely outraged and bitchin' his face off. How can someone get into politics without knowing how things are done. He swears that when he is elected President there are going to be changes made. Every time I turn around I see him saying he is being treated badly and unfairly.

Bitchin' his face off. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Trump's a whiner, and a disher-outer that can't take it, no doubt. I hate that shit.

In my opinion, Trump never expected to get this far. Then, once he kept winning no matter what he said, he got pumped and driven to win it all.

When he thought he was set to earn the majority 1,237+ delegates required for an uncontested nomination, he didn't really see a reason to learn how the process works.

Now, he seems to understand that since he's no longer poised to snag at least 50% of the voter/earned delegates, he needs to learn real quick how an open/contested convention works and get crackin' on priming delegates before the big showdown in July. He's late to the game and I think it's gonna be tough, but not impossible for Trump. All of the candidates will be in the same boat; they're all gonna have to convince a good number of the other candidates' delegates to switch and get behind them instead, for the good of the party and the country.

Anyway, for a man whose platform focuses heavily on his ability to negotiate and make great deals, he sure seems to resent being faced with that opportunity/challenge in this instance.

In regards to torture, CIA director John Brennan said, 'I will not agree to carry out some of these tactics and techniques I've heard bandied about because this institution needs to endure.' Donald Trump called his comments ridiculous and said, 'They won't refuse. They're not going to refuse me, 'I've never had any problem leading people, if I say, "Do it," they're going to do it. That's what leadership is all about.' Brennan was unequivocal, saying he would continue to ban the enhanced interrogation technique agency-wide, regardless of what the White House might want.

hah Keep it up, Donald.

Story
Waterboarding is just one way to get info without leaving any marks, there are plenty of other ways also, the book is long and has many chapters. To say "we will not use water boarding" is like saying they will never eat a yellow m&m again.
I dont believe torture works and I never understand why some people do. People will say whatever it takes to end the torture.
Bernie Sanders was in town this morning. Totally messed up my ride into work. Just venting.
I stayed the hell away from the whole area, same as with jackass the other day.

Found an interesting tool on vox, a tax plan calculator that shows exactly what each candidate's new tax plan will cost each of us based on income, dependents and filing status. Mine was a little surprising, as Sanders came out way more costly for me as a barely middle class single man with grown kid. Hillary stayed almost the same, difference was about 10 bucks, and both Cruz and Trump cut my taxes but also made drastic cuts to social programs which I don't favor. That and their biggest tax breaks go to the wealthy which I don't lke at all.

here is the link
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(04-12-2016, 05:08 PM)Donovan Wrote: I stayed the hell away from the whole area, same as with jackass the other day.

Found an interesting tool on vox, a tax plan calculator that shows exactly what each candidate's new tax plan will cost each of us based on income, dependents and filing status. Mine was a little surprising, as Sanders came out way more costly for me as a barely middle class single man with grown kid. Hillary stayed almost the same, difference was about 10 bucks, and both Cruz and Trump cut my taxes but also made drastic cuts to social programs which I don't favor. That and their biggest tax breaks go to the wealthy which I don't lke at all.

here is the link
http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/08/how-...us-stupid/
Did you read the article you linked? Are you trying somehow to justify your viewpoint using that? Because you probably shouldn't.

For those of you unwilling to follow the link, the senior editor of the Federalist website, a fledgling rightwing loudmouth type site, is arguing that the vox habit of providing more theoretically unvarnished information on a variety of political topics is actually a bad idea, because having more information doesn't help people change their minds. Might be one of the dumbest articles I've read in recent memory, and clearly meant to get a little attention for both the writer and the website.

I wonder if the writer David Harsanyi appreciates the irony of arguing against websites providing political insight and information...while blogging his opinion on a website designed to spread its version of political insight and information. Guy was a moron when he wrote for the Denver post, he's a moron now. Rush Limbaugh/ Glenn Beck wannabe with half the charisma and none of the self-aware humor.
A townhall tonight with Trump and his family. Gosh, I sure hope he's not all cried out. Popcorn?
(04-12-2016, 07:34 PM)Donovan Wrote: Did you read the article you linked? Are you trying somehow to justify your viewpoint using that? Because you probably shouldn't.

For those of you unwilling to follow the link, the senior editor of the Federalist website, a fledgling rightwing loudmouth type site, is arguing that the vox habit of providing more theoretically unvarnished information on a variety of political topics is actually a bad idea, because having more information doesn't help people change their minds. Might be one of the dumbest articles I've read in recent memory, and clearly meant to get a little attention for both the writer and the website.

I wonder if the writer David Harsanyi appreciates the irony of arguing against websites providing political insight and information...while blogging his opinion on a website designed to spread its version of political insight and information. Guy was a moron when he wrote for the Denver post, he's a moron now. Rush Limbaugh/ Glenn Beck wannabe with half the charisma and none of the self-aware humor.
No Mr. defensive. I was merely pointing out that the Liberals have their propaganda machines as do the conservatives. I used your little tax calculation gizmo and if taxes were the only deciding factor, I'd go with the GOP. Hilary and Bern both have us paying more.
(04-12-2016, 07:58 PM)Duchess Wrote: A townhall tonight with Trump and his family. Gosh, I sure hope he's not all cried out. Popcorn?

I watched it. Trump was complaining again about how he wasn't being treated fairly during the solo portion of the Town Hall. 34

I find Trump a likable guy when he's not whining and spewing garbage. He seems to have a great relationship with his smart well-adjusted adult children and his wife seems alright. He's gonna kick butt in his home state of New York next week and still thinks he'll get to 1,237 earned delegates (it's possible), but he also seems to be planning now for a contested convention if he falls short.

Kasich too seems to have a nice likable family; typical teenage girls and a strong supportive wife. He's working hard to paint himself as the strong but positive leader who can save the Republican party from its own negativity and infighting. He said that the GOP needs to stop being the party telling Americans what they can't do and start focusing on what Americans can do to make the country stronger (my paraphrase).

Kasich didn't really answer Anderson Cooper's question about how he's gonna win a contested convention if he doesn't win at least 8 states, per RNC qualifying rule 40B. Kasich seems to be counting on that rule being dropped, but didn't give any details beyond that.

The Cruz family Town Hall is tonight. I'll be watching the basketball game instead, but I'm sure he has a nice supportive family too.

It's kind of interesting to see the candidates with their families, but doesn't affect my vote at all. I care a lot more about their platforms and plans for the country than their family lives.
Imagine if every country called in American assets at once.

Saudi Arabia threatened to sell up to $750 billion worth of US assets held by the Kingdom if Congress passes a bill that would allow the Saudi government to be sued over 9/11, reports The New York Times' Mark Mazzetti.

Saudi Foreign Minister, Adel al-Jubeir, personally passed on the message last month during a trip to Washington, according to The Times.

Knowing that a country could affect the outcome of legislation is a bit unnerving.

Is Hillary ready to take on that debt or cave in and somehow change the outcome if she was president? How would Bernie handle it? How would Trump? It certainly would put a damper on quite a few dreams and aspirations.

link