Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Presidential race 2016
Trump would love it if Bernie ran independent and took votes away from Clinton in the general election; Trump would then have a much better shot at winning. But, I'd be shocked if Bernie ran third party.

Bernie's gonna stay in til June and hold Clinton's feet to the fire in regards to the commitments she's made to some of his platform points. In exchange, he'll give Clinton his endorsement and encourage his supporters to vote for Hillary. At least, that's what I would do if I was Bernie.

Trump claims he's gonna win over Sanders' supporters. I doubt he'll get many, even if he does keep trying to make them believe he empathizes with Bernie.
(05-06-2016, 11:37 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Trump claims he's gonna win over Sanders' supporters. I doubt he'll get many, even if he does keep trying to make them believe he empathizes with Bernie.

Even though I make snarky comments about how dumb so many people are, I like to think that most people are smart enough not to buy Trump's bullshit.

I don't think he's happy with Paul Ryan today. 113
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-06-2016, 11:54 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 11:37 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Trump claims he's gonna win over Sanders' supporters. I doubt he'll get many, even if he does keep trying to make them believe he empathizes with Bernie.

Even though I make snarky comments about how dumb so many people are, I like to think that most people are smart enough not to buy Trump's bullshit.

I don't think he's happy with Paul Ryan today. 113

Paul Ryan is a rino so who really cares.
(05-06-2016, 01:10 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Paul Ryan is a rino

I had no idea what that meant until I googled it.

I've never paid much, if any, attention to him so I wouldn't have known one way or another about him being a rino but I think it would behoove a politician to care about what the Speaker of the House thinks of him.

I read Elizabeth Warren say that Donald lied his way through the primaries without being held accountable and that it's over. I look forward to seeing exactly what that means.
Donald Trump was effective using repetitive negative branding to help eliminate his Republican competitors; "low-energy Jeb", "little Marco", "lyin' Ted"...

I've seen him refer to Hillary Clinton as "corrupt Hillary" a few times in the last several days. I don't think that kind of labeling is going to have the same effect on her; she's been called that and worse for decades and I think she's experienced and smart enough to avoid falling into the same defensive trap as Bush, Rubio, and Cruz. We'll see.

Trump's trying to play Bernie against Hillary now. Bernie's not having it. Whenever Trump tries to disparage Bernie or position Bernie as a victim of Hillary Clinton, Bernie just says, 'pfft, Donald Trump is a pathological liar.'

Seems Sanders is open to considering being Clinton's VP after the Democratic convention. I don't know if she would want Bernie as her right hand man for at least 4 years, but it could really help her win the general election handily (in my opinion). http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/politics/b...peditorial
(05-06-2016, 01:17 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 01:10 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Paul Ryan is a rino

I had no idea what that meant until I googled it.

I've never paid much, if any, attention to him so I wouldn't have known one way or another about him being a rino but I think it would behoove a politician to care about what the Speaker of the House thinks of him.

Trump isn't a politician, so again, it doesn't matter at this point. They all agreed to support who ever won, including Trump.
People voting for Trump, including me, don't give two shits what the establishment thinks or if they support him or not.

hah 'K.
(05-05-2016, 12:24 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 11:57 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I almost always watch the videos and read the transcripts of what the media reports was said by a candidate; Trump says a lot of shit that's inaccurate, unverified, and other shit that I just don't think is good for the country -- in his own words, from his own mouth. Then again, he often tweaks or changes his claims shortly thereafter, so I'm not sure where he stands on anything but immigration.

I know where Clinton stands, though I've watched her dance and change her tune about issues, and misrepresent her opponents record in some cases, when it serves her interests.

Anyway, I don't know if Trump is despicable or Hillary is a shrew behind closed doors. It doesn't really matter to me. I'm more concerned about their ability to lead the country in a way that's most fair to everyone socially and economically, and to represent the United States aptly and strategically in the global arena.
And that never has been, nor will it ever be a one person job. Which is why at this point, Trump will get my vote. He's made a living off of surrounding himself with doers who get the job done. Jim Webb would make a great VP, but that's just my opinion. Hilary has done nothing but blunder lie and try to cover it up. Blowhard vs. corrupt inept professional politician is a no brainer for me.
No brainer is a very apt term for the above.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

I'm seeing some Republicans saying they will support but not endorse Trump. Just what the hell does that even mean? It looks and sounds ridiculous.
(05-08-2016, 04:51 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm seeing some Republicans saying they will support but not endorse Trump. Just what the hell does that even mean? It looks and sounds ridiculous.

I think they're trying to be loyal to the (very fractured) Republican party, even though they don't want to put their seals of approval behind Trump's platform, principles, or ability to lead the country.

I saw Sarah Palin on CNN this morning. She said Paul Ryan's career is now over because he hasn't endorsed Trump yet and has thus disrespected the will of the people. John McCain was also interviewed. He confirmed that unlike his best friend Lindsey Graham, he'll support the Republican nominee. He also said that while he doesn't care what Trump said about him, he would like Trump to retract his statement about POWs being losers who he doesn't like because they got captured.

I think Paul Ryan will try to negotiate with Trump and influence him to work more within the party system. Whether Ryan succeeds in that pursuit or not, I think he'll soon back the Republican nominee. I can't see Ryan sitting on the sidelines or supporting a Democrat, so he doesn't really have another option. The third party white knight option looks very unrealistic at this point, in my eyes.

Loyalty can be admirable but to stand in support of someone you don't believe in nor agree with seems so..so..I can't find a word to express myself.
It seems that Kim Jong Un, could soon possibly be having a little competition from Kim Jong Trump! hah
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

The Republicans are scared they are going to lose control of the House & the Senate aaaaaand there's that little thing about nominating a new Supreme Court justice.

Smiley_emoticons_smile
I think both sides are worried; there's a lot at stake beyond the presidency in this election.

[Image: 166747_600-2.jpg]

It's difficult for Republican congresspersons, I imagine. If they think Trump is bad for the party and the country, should they refuse to let him redefine the party's standards and refuse to support him? If so, they're helping the opposing party candidate who they think is bad for the country too. Plus, they've got job security to worry about.
(05-10-2016, 02:24 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: should they refuse to let him redefine the party's standards and refuse to support him?

I do think it's ridiculous to stand in support of someone you don't like nor agree with. I can't respect people who do that, I think it's a joke and disingenuous. One thing I have given more than a little thought to is "the will of the people". I've heard that exact phrase used several times recently and I do think whatever that may be (the will of the people) should be how it's done even if I don't agree with the majority.
I think Paul Ryan has done the right thing so far and if this meeting on Thursday goes badly (Trump is shrugging over whether the party unifies or not), I hope Ryan doesn't back away from his skepticism or reluctance and provide some fake endorsement. I'm disgusted by Chris Christie. They all know he's a fucking nut/loose cannon...

Then again, they want 2016. They're fucked and their decision on this, if Trump actually wins and acts like the mad hatter he appears, will haunt them forever if they get behind him.

I don't think Trump is really that appealing even to those that are voting for him. I think the Republican party put forth a bunch of wet noodles when what people clearly were looking for was a firebrand (who knew they wanted THAT much of rabble rouser, though?). And I don't love Hillary but I just read Bernie's ideas would add $18 trillion to the debt (no thanks).

I hope Hillary can pull it off against Trump's ardent fan base. I think she can do it (absent any surprises between now and then) IF she can get out the voters. I think people that aren't fired up about Trump are sort of apathetic (I know I am).
Commando Cunt Queen
The powers that be are talking about the elephant in the room, the deficit that has doubled in the past 8 years. I wonder why its doubled? There is no possible way it could be Obamas fault...........it must be Bush's fault right? hah
The election may take a back seat if Trump starts getting more support from the pubs and the media gets wind of it. The deficit and some other problem may come out to deflect interest in the election.

And Ryan will not endorse him until he is the official nominee, that's just political maneuvering nothing else.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Bernie won West Virginia yesterday. He's now won 19 states to Clinton's 23.

Unfortunately for Bernie, Hillary has won states with a lot of delegates by sizable margins. So, she's still far ahead in earned/popular delegates (without Super Delegates): 1716 to 1433.

Trump has now branded Sanders, "Crazy Bernie". "Crazy Bernie" and "Crooked Hillary". I think "Crackpot Bernie" sounds catchier, though I find Bernie perfectly sane.

Clinton announced today that she won't be responding to Trump's accusations that she enabled her husband's affairs and treated his female accusers terribly. Trump says it's retribution for Hillary playing the 'woman's card'.

Also, Trump announced today that he's not going to release his tax returns after all. If he doesn't, he will be the first presidential candidate in 40 years to refuse.
(05-11-2016, 05:13 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Also, Trump announced today that he's not going to release his tax returns after all. If he doesn't, he will be the first presidential candidate in 40 years to refuse.

Whoa. That's fucking ballsy coming from birther boy. I don't think that's going to go over well at.all.
Commando Cunt Queen