Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Presidential race 2016
Trump's frequent name-calling and branding took political competitor criticism to a new low, but the concept and practice goes all the way back to the founding of our country.

It's not unusual for candidates to criticize each other harshly when they're competing and later go on to support each other, work together and/or respect each other.

Recent case in point.............during the primaries, Chris Christie characterized Trump as being like a 3-year-old, a carnival barker who's nothing more than a showman, ridiculous for suggesting that Mexico will pay for a border wall and proposing a ban on Muslims, a man who could tear things down but not rebuild them, someone who is painfully naive in regards to foreign policy, a candidate who is wholly unqualified for the presidency and unable to explain 'how' he would make good on his promises, untruthful in regards to New Jersey Muslims cheering 9/11, and on and on.

Fast forward a couple of months and Chris Christie is among the first Republicans to endorse Trump, announces that he and Trump are long-time friends, proclaims that Trump is the most qualified person to lead the country, sings Trump's praises on the stump, takes an advisory role in the Trump campaign, etc. And, unlike Obama in regards to Clinton, Christie's total about-face can't be explained by a change of opinion as a result of years working together. Christie was either lying in the primaries or he's lying now -- there's no other option.
(08-03-2016, 11:20 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Trump's frequent name-calling....blah blah blah.......... now -- there's no other option.

Can't you see that I'm trying to be irrational here? Honestly, I wish Christie had never dropped out, the asshole. I've liked him ever since he told New Jersey not to be stupid during Sandy.

A poll/survey came across my news feed today. Out of 1300 or so likely voters, 5% would vote for Harambe..

I'm going to make a t-shirt that says Harambe for President.

Link:
Survey Says

The Harambe question is on page 3. # Q10
I can see now.

Carry on...
(08-03-2016, 04:09 PM)cannongal Wrote: I've liked him ever since he told New Jersey not to be stupid during Sandy.

That's when I started liking him too. I liked his attitude and the way he called a spade, a spade. It's in an entirely different way than Trump's bullshit but then he had to go an act like a lapdog and I was over it. I felt disappointed in him.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(08-03-2016, 04:18 PM)Duchess Wrote: I felt disappointed in him.[/i][/size]

You should have heard the tirade that came out of my mouth when he dropped out and shoved his head up Trump's ass. My husband hid in his geek room for 2 days, only dashing out to use the bathroom, and scurry by the fridge.

What's in Trump's taxes that he doesn't want anyone to see?
If I was as rich as Trump I would buy an apartment building in DC and put as many Syrian refugees in it as I could. Then buy another and repeat.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-06-2016, 06:25 PM)Duchess Wrote:

What's in Trump's taxes that he doesn't want anyone to see?

What's in Obamas college records that he doesn't want anyone to see?
(08-06-2016, 06:42 PM)Maggot Wrote: What's in Obamas college records that he doesn't want anyone to see?

I don't know and I don't care. I don't see how they are relevant but apparently you do, why does it matter? Do you think it's going to show he accepted financial aide as a foreigner? I ask because that's one of the things I just saw him being accused of when I went looking for some information.

I've been trying to find out why for you, Maggottyboo but most of what looks promising turns out to be from some far right sites. Legitimate sites tell me that no President in modern times have ever released their records, it would be more unusual for a Prez to release them, than not to and they go on to say that given he was the editor in chief of The Harvard Law Review he is an extremely smart individual.
The economy is consistently the most important issue to American voters, according to polls.

The July job reports saw a second month of solid growth, low unemployment (4.9% for those seeking jobs), and an increase in wages. President Obama's approval rating is now also high at 53%. These factors are positive for Clinton's campaign.

So, tomorrow, Donald Trump will give an economic speech in Michigan, after having announced his economic advisory team this week. Clinton's campaign just announced that she will give a rebuttal economic speech in Michigan on Thursday. Both should be very interesting.

One item they agree upon is federal expenditure (and debt increase) for massive improvements in the country's infrastructure, which would create new jobs.

Ref: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...ming-days/

Hillary's plan will be clear & concise, she'll lay it out piece by piece and Trump will sound like a robot reading the note the hostage taker just handed him.
But, but, the Donald is promissing "change", just like Obama did & it worked for him!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

HotD, I'd be interested in reading your opinion on what a 3rd party candidate will mean in this race. It's being said that Evan McMullin will be making an announcement soon.
(08-08-2016, 12:13 PM)Duchess Wrote:

HotD, I'd be interested in reading your opinion on what a 3rd party candidate will mean in this race. It's being said that Evan McMullin will be making an announcement soon.

I don't know much about McMullin or the strategy to insert him into the race. It looks to me like he's more a Utah option for Mormon Republicans who, by and large, can't stand Donald Trump. I don't think he'll get much traction nationally if he gets on the ballot, but he'll likely snag some votes from Trump in the state.

Gary Johnson is the more viable national Republican alternative. He's already snagged votes from Republicans and Independents who won't vote for Trump or consider Clinton.

I hope Johnson does well and that his showing influences the future of the Republican party via more socially inclusive/liberal views and a commitment to small fiscally conservative government. Ron Paul was too early for the political and social climates when he ran. Rand Paul contorted himself too much for the Republican establishment and sacrificed some Libertarian principles in the process. Now's a better time and situation for a Libertarian candidate, especially one that's not running under the GOP umbrella. Johnson won't win, but he has the potential to have an impact on party politics moving forward.

Combined, the current and potential third party candidates will take far more of the traditional Republican and right-leaning Independent vote from Trump than the traditional Democratic and left-leaning Independent vote from Clinton. Plus, Clinton's getting some Republicans who can't swallow the Libertarians' non-interventionist foreign policy.

Stein is getting some Independent votes that reject Trump and may have considered Clinton, but I don't think she'll get enough support to reach double digits and really hurt Clinton much unless the general election turns out to be extremely close, which I don't anticipate at this point.
(08-08-2016, 01:17 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Clinton's getting some Republicans

I find it incredible to read about on an almost daily basis lately and some of the more high profile ones blow my mind. I never thought I'd live to see something like that.
Dukakis had the same lead as Hillary does at this time of the competition.
That's true.

But, Dukakis wasn't as political, strategic, or experienced an animal as Clinton.

And, Dukakis was running against a very organized, aggressive, and united Republican campaign.

Maybe Trump will turn things around, it's possible. But, I personally think he's going to get trounced.

He's trailing Hillary by 30 among white women who are college educated. (Romney won this by 6 points) On the other hand, he beats Hillary among white men with no college education.
Hilary's gonna put a high heel on his throat and keep it there. She is not gonna let this slip away again like 2008.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.