Thread Rating:
  • 46 Vote(s) - 4.46 Average
Johnny S. Clarke & Lisa Straub- young Ohio couple murdered
(07-23-2012, 12:25 PM)Aberlin Wrote: I seriously doubt the evidence planting theory (no offense of course) mainly due to logic

I don't think any of us believe that butt was planted there. Speaking only for myself, I mentioned it for reasonable doubt purposes only. I feel comfortable in my belief that they shared a cigarette in the garage however PROVING that will be difficult if not impossible.

I never have a issue with being wrong so if I have to eat crow on this one point that won't be a problem. Smiley_emoticons_smile
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(07-23-2012, 12:31 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 12:20 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: gurl: who testified that there were was more evidence found in home after police had left crime scene

OH FUCK!! that is bad!! after scene was released?? Nowhy

evidence has a chain of custody. if evidence was overlooked, not bagged and tagged, or not shown to be from party the night before, scene released to cleaners, then the chain of custody is broken. (if house was cleaned how did Mrs. Straub find more evidence?) it renders it useless. i hope that was mis-reported. or we will be seeing one big cluster fuck with the defense having a field day tap-dancing around the courtrooms.

I'm pretty pissed about this as well but it would be nearly impossible to show which was from the party and which was from the night of the murders.

There has, however, been cases where additional evidence found was able to be added in to the case. As LC said, the defense had a field day with it but majority of those cases lead to a conviction based on the nature of that evidence.

I'm trying to shut up and give my brain a rest...not doing a good job at it Smiley_emoticons_smile
(07-23-2012, 12:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 12:25 PM)Aberlin Wrote: I seriously doubt the evidence planting theory (no offense of course) mainly due to logic

I don't think any of us believe that butt was planted there. Speaking only for myself, I mentioned it for reasonable doubt purposes only. I feel comfortable in my belief that they shared a cigarette in the garage however PROVING that will be difficult if not impossible.

I never have a issue with being wrong so if I have to eat crow on this one point that won't be a problem. Smiley_emoticons_smile

I have delicious seasonings we can put on that crow. I'll bring the wine, you catch the crow.
Mustang expects to be in court until 4pm. At lunch now. He is at the Pettaway trial. The Straubs have testified at both trials. So, unless they reserve the right to recall them, they can now attend both trials. There were a lot of empty seats in Bates courtroom. You have to be on a list for the trials and Mustang is on the list for both. They are not allowing any additions to the list. I guess they are keeping the public out! I would think that is unusual. IMO they probably don't want interruptions. Just wanted to let you know that M. will have a report later today
[Image: Naughty_Grandma_by_Momma__G.gif]
(07-23-2012, 12:49 PM)Older Than Dirt Wrote: Mustang expects to be in court until 4pm. At lunch now. He is at the Pettaway trial. The Straubs have testified at both trials. So, unless they reserve the right to recall them, they can now attend both trials. There were a lot of empty seats in Bates courtroom. You have to be on a list for the trials and Mustang is on the list for both. They are not allowing any additions to the list. I guess they are keeping the public out! I would think that is unusual. IMO they probably don't want interruptions. Just wanted to let you know that M. will have a report later today

HELLZ YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great News 44
Lisa and Johnny had split for a while, i think Lisa ripped and burned Johnny's photos.

Parents of murdered Springfield Township woman testify in trials
BY ERICA BLAKE AND JENNIFER FEEHAN
BLADE STAFF WRITERS

Jeff and Mary Beth Straub had rules for their daughter and her boyfriend — both of whom lived with them in their Springfield Township home — that including no smoking in the house.

The couple testified individually in Lucas County Common Pleas Court today during the first day of testimony on the simultaneous trials of Samuel Williams, 24, and Cameo Pettaway, 23. The men are charged with the Jan. 31, 2011, asphyxiation deaths of Lisa Straub, 20, and Johnny Clarke, 21.

The Straubs were among the first witnesses called to testify. Both men are charged with two counts each of aggravated murder and kidnapping and one count of aggravated burglary. Williams, of 1626 Kelsey Ave., faces the death penalty if convicted but death specifications were removed for Mr. Pettaway, of 133 Essex St., after a judge found him developmentally disabled.

Ms. Straub’s parents each testified that their daughter and her boyfriend lived with them in their Longacre Lane home.

During opening statements Friday for Williams’ trial, an assistant Lucas County prosecutor pointed to a Newport cigarette butt and said it provided “the untold story of who committed” the slayings of the couple.

That cigarette butt contained the DNA of both Williams and Cameo Pettaway.

The young couple were found on a floor in her parents’ home with plastic bags tied tightly around their necks with duct tape.

“The murderers in the case made a mistake — a mistake that only time and science can tell you,” prosecutor Rob Miller said on Friday. “You will hear testimony that in the corner of the doorway leading from the kitchen to the garage … police recovered a smoked Newport cigarette butt.”

In the weeks and months after the slayings, Mr. Miller said, investigators collected and analyzed numerous fingerprints, handprints, palm prints, and DNA samples from the ransacked house, but none matched any persons of interest — until last September.

Mr. Straub testified during Williams’ trial today that he did not keep large amounts of cash or valuable jewerly in the home but that he did have about $4,500 in Iraqi currency in the home. He further testified that cigarette butts found in the garbage can of a three-season room were there because of cleanup around the family pool from the summer season.

Also testifying in both trials today was Clark’s friend Michael Dominguez, who said that he knew that his friend sold marijuana and that he took illegal pills.

The trials for both men are expected to last all week. Judge Dean Mandros is presiding over Williams’ case and Mr. Pettaway’s trial is being held before Judge James Bates.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment."
thanks Dick Tracy, and it's great to see you again! Blowing-kisses

(07-23-2012, 09:43 AM)justme Wrote: Well---here I am back home from the courthouse---and very dissappointed. Didn't get in. I know someone on the defense team and they said you definately have to be on a list. Even if there are open seats it's only 5 people per each family and media.( Fox news and WTOL (channel 11) are in the Pettaway courtroom) It's because the Clarke family doesn't know how to behave---idiots.

My source also told me the crime scene photos are "horrific". Feel so badly for the Staubs.

Hopefully Mustang is able to go today. I was hoping to meet him at some point.

Ah well---I am hopeful these two will be convicted *fingers crossed*

justme, I'm so disappointed to hear you were not permitted in court room, so many restrictions! more than likely it's Maytee & her outbursts also Clarkes & Williams quarrelling back & forth in the lobby of the court house or in court room, that brought this all on. You did a very fine job reporting better than the media any day!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
WTOL

TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) - Evidence is being presented in the death penalty case against Samuel Williams Monday. Williams is charged with murder in the deaths of Johnny Clarke and Lisa Straub in January 2011.

There are two separate trials going on for Samuel Williams and Cameo Pettaway, the men accused of murdering the Springfield Township couple.

So far in Williams' trial three witnesses have been called to the stand, establishing relationships and discussing how they knew the victims. Drug use has been brought to attention by the witnesses.

During Williams' trial, the prosecution painted a picture of how the couple lived in a very clean home.