Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fuck Muhammad!!!
(02-12-2015, 12:44 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 08:14 AM)Mohammed Wrote: So it is not anymore about America alone, but much more general. There are more Muslims killing Muslims at this stage that the rest of the planet could just sit by and watch them eradicate themselves without any sort of outside help.

.... to understand how IS has managed to attract and convert so many brutal Australians, Brits, and other western volunteers. I tend to think mental and emotional illness figures heavily into that phenomenon.

I would agree with Mo that even in western societies, young Muslims or men of color would still feel despair at their prospective futures.

Let's face it, even in 2015 the west is still ruled by whites.

We're seeing it here with our Somali population, many of whom have returned to fight with Islamic terrorists.

Hopelessness and despair, coupled with the idea of fighting for something, however evil, equals a sort of 'way out' IMO.

Now, how do we stop this from happening?

The $64M question.
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Now, how do we stop this from happening?

I watched a documentary about ISIS over the weekend and one supporter of them said it's only a matter of time before they are coming ashore in other countries. I believed him. I think countries have got to come together as one and squash them like a bug and continue to do so until they are eradicated.

It's said that bombing alone will not destroy them, that boots have got to be on the ground.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I would agree with Mo that even in western societies, young Muslims or men of color would still feel despair at their prospective futures.

A lot of the western recruits were not raised Muslim, they became Islamic as part of the recruiting campaign. That's my understanding, at least.
(02-12-2015, 01:32 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I would agree with Mo that even in western societies, young Muslims or men of color would still feel despair at their prospective futures.

A lot of the western recruits were not raised Muslim, they became Islamic as part of the recruiting campaign. That's my understanding, at least.

Which is why I mentioned 'men of color' to include those that were not originally Muslim.
(02-12-2015, 01:40 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 01:32 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

Which is why I mentioned 'men of color' to include those that were not originally Muslim.

I see.

I see a whole lotta light-skinned males and females in the western recruit pool, but I don't doubt that plenty of people of color from the west are joining the fight as well.
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 12:44 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 08:14 AM)Mohammed Wrote: So it is not anymore about America alone, but much more general. There are more Muslims killing Muslims at this stage that the rest of the planet could just sit by and watch them eradicate themselves without any sort of outside help.

.... to understand how IS has managed to attract and convert so many brutal Australians, Brits, and other western volunteers. I tend to think mental and emotional illness figures heavily into that phenomenon.

I would agree with Mo that even in western societies, young Muslims or men of color would still feel despair at their prospective futures.

Let's face it, even in 2015 the west is still ruled by whites.

We're seeing it here with our Somali population, many of whom have returned to fight with Islamic terrorists.

Hopelessness and despair, coupled with the idea of fighting for something, however evil, equals a sort of 'way out' IMO.

Now, how do we stop this from happening?

The $64M question.

The history of so many black youth who find there way out of the "ghetto"
is through their excellence in sports....They feel (someone mentioned hopelessness before) trapped by their environment and know that if they can excel in a specific sport, they can find their way out.....of poverty, crime, no future, no support system, etc...In past, the only way out of poverty among the Black population is/was sports or being a drug dealer....When you grow up in dire circumstances, you want out. These young men (and of course women, to a lesser degree) are vulnerable to joining gangs (for a feeling of belonging). This now applies to a broader spectrum in that we have more minority groups living in poverty, lack of opportunities, less education, and so on. If you belong to one of these groups stuck in the mire of drugs, gangs, violence, poverty, you/we will understand the attraction gangs and other groups hold for them..hey, it is way out....
(02-10-2015, 02:34 AM)Mohammed Wrote: Anyway, here all is quiet, the UK Embassy has evacuated, which is a rare thing to happen but I believe is because they just want to show solidarity towards the UN plus looking forward to getting pissed in Dubai for a nice R&R, the Dutch are also contemplating, which is a very rare occurrence, and the only reason I see is that our dear friend the Ambassador wants to be part of the party with the Brits at the Blue Marlin Club in Dubai.

I've been thinking about you today Mo (nothing lewd, I swear). Is everything still pretty calm there for you?

I read today that the French and British embassies in Yemen have been evacuated now too.

I get that there's a security threat, but it's kind of concerning that the US now has no diplomatic presence in Libya, Somalia, Syria or Yemen. The lack of intel and local presence in Syria really put us at a disadvantage in dealing with IS in Syria.

Strange days...
(02-12-2015, 12:44 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: At the risk of appearing uber-specific Smiley_emoticons_wink, I don't think it was ever about America alone.

These are the Hooters, or as they call themselves, Houti's.

[Image: Hooters_zpsrgwtfkeu.jpg]

Those banners, which is their logo, are now all over town since a few months. Spray painted onto walls, stickers on cars, really everywhere. That first line says "Death to America"

I always wanted to get in touch with their clearly very hard working PR department and ask them if we could also include the line "Death to Coca Cola" as well. Just for the heck of it.

It is actually very quiet all over now, most embassy staff has left the country, including the Dutch and Japanese, and I am now the last of the Mohicans. *Soundtrack starts*

"I will find you. No matter what, where they take you, what they do to you, stay alive .... for I ... will find you!"

And Mo jumps into his pool with his little trusted side kick.

Nobody likes a bully, no wonder they all want us dead.
Not you as in American really. We all know that and we entered their camps with American reporters who actually pointed out those signs to which all the Hooters simply just laughed or smiled. It's their catchy slogan and it is not directed against American citizens, at least not by them, but against the politics of America, which yes, unlike your citizens are rather bullyish.

I wonder where Obama's obvious softness is gonna go, but am damn curious as it is the same it seems he said about Cuba. If you got something that doesn't work for 50 years, perhaps it is time to try a different approach then. We shall see if it's working, but at least from my side I have to say I'm with him.

Let's see.
(02-13-2015, 06:16 AM)Duchess Wrote: Nobody likes a bully, no wonder they all want us dead.

Do you really feel that way, absolutely? I sure don't -- if only it were so simplistic.

America gets called in a lot to help people in other countries defend themselves against what they perceive as bullies. And, if we don't intervene and assist, then there's the predictable bitching about America having gone weak, not caring about people in any country that doesn't have oil, and all that jazz.

As for Yemen, I'd be very surprised if the Houthis wanted the American and other western embassies to be closed or want us to discontinue relations with Yemen. Houthi leaders don't want the US to turn their backs on Yemen, unless they're complete idiots. I'm not getting that sense about them, so far. They didn't kill the Presidential Aide they kidnapped, they released him after 10 days. They didn't assassinate President Hadi -- they forced him out. They didn't launch an attack on western embassies, they watched everyone evacuate (and then took embassy vehicles and stuff, but meh).

In my opinion, they don't want to alienate the US because they know their viability as a state relies on outside assistance. However, they would love America to stop the drone strikes in the country (unless, of course, those drones had a zero margin of error and could only ever hit al-Qaeda peeps or Houthi rival tribes, then they'd probably be imploring us to launch more of them). "The Death to Americans" slogan is idiotic though and I'd guess came about in response to airstrikes killing some Yemeni civilians and the US's alliance with Saudia Arabia -- but Mo probably knows more about the origins of that rhetoric, I'm just guessing. I think the Houthis are gonna need to dump that rhetoric, organize a regime quickly, and appoint a savvy leader/negotiation -- if they manage to hold onto control.

Anyway, Yemen is one of the poorest countries on the planet. Their oil reserves are almost depleted and water is running out too (most of which is used to grow qat). The country relies heavily on UNICEF and the World Food Bank. The US gives Yemen $150 million a year in aid; they need and want that assistance -- unless they want to throw in the independent-state towel and become part of Saudi Arabia (doubtful).

America could say, "fuck it" and let Saudia Arabia, Egypt and Iran do what they will about Yemen's failed statehood and AQAP. Maybe we should.
(02-13-2015, 10:35 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Do you really feel that way, absolutely? I sure don't -- if only it were so simplistic.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't like the way we've gone into Iraq, for example, and tried to tell them how they should live and we have done that. Our country often tries to impress a democratic society on others who have zero interest in it. The Iraq bullshit probably bothers me more than most. I haven't been able to find anyone who can tell me what was accomplished, tell me something that justifies the deaths & maiming of so many people. That country is worse off after we invaded them than it was with Saddam running the show. I don't want my country going into other countries and telling them how their home should be managed.

...and further more, it really burns my ass that we give any help whatsoever to Israel. Fuck them. I know they have to but I don't give 2 fucks about those people. They are bullies too.
I don't support some of America's policies and actions, but support others.

I understand that you, Duchess, think any American intervention is bad and that those who are impacted and call for death to all Americans are therefore rational and justified.

I just think it's more complicated and not so absolute. I'm open about what I see as bad and bullying American engagements, but am not blind to the positive ones, nor to the fact that sometimes those who call for us to be gone/dead today will be asking for our assistance tomorrow.

I believe it's complicated too.

Of course I don't think death to Americans is rational & justified! Soldiers are following orders, they don't get to voice an opinion like I do. There is no discussion or swapping of ideas, they get an order and they carry it out.

I remember when we first invaded Iraq and every night there are pix in American's homes showing the women in their burkas or whatever the hell they are called. Many people here were outraged and wanted those women uncovered. It took some of those women speaking up and saying this is what they wanted, this was how they were raised, it's their culture, it took that to shut up people here. These are the kinds of things that bug me. Just stop going into the homes of others and telling them how they should be living their lives and I'll shut the fuck up.
(02-13-2015, 11:23 AM)Duchess Wrote: Just stop going into the homes of others and telling them how they should be living their lives and I'll shut the fuck up.

Yeah, I feel the same way in a lot of cases.

I wish some countries, including the US, would stop doing that to other countries.

I wish some groups inside and outside of their home lands, like Boko Haram and IS and AQAP and oppressive regimes, would stop doing that to individuals and groups too.

And, I wish that some extreme religious leaders, conservative politicians and gung-ho lawmakers (in the US and across the planet) would shut the fuck up about people who engage in victimless activities that they find "immoral" or "sinful"; it's none of their business as far as I'm concerned.

But, humans being human and all...
[quote='HairOfTheDog' pid='387200' dateline='142384180

And, I wish that some extreme religious leaders, conservative politicians and gung-ho lawmakers (in the US and across the planet) would shut the fuck up about people who engage in victimless activities that they find "immoral" or "sinful"; it's none of their business as far as I'm concerned.

But, humans being human and all...
[/quote]

I second that....Discussing politics is hazardous to your health, but the new Republican party (and especially some of the old farts), is trying to shove their "morals" down the throats (no smart ass sexual references, please), of others. For example, they keep yelping about the sin of homosexuality, the sins of terminating a pregnancy, etc...find me one woman who wants to do this, but it is none of the Government's business. Stay out of people's bedrooms and do some research on human sexuality if you are in the business of passing laws....
I think the new Pope is more tolerant and likeable than previous Catholic leaders (I am not Catholic, but do have one grandson and his family who are members). I do strongly disagree with what the Pope said few days ago, when he said that people who choose not to have children are selfish...
hmmm.....did he really say that? Our planet is too crowded now and we are slowly destroying this world one day at a time.......if a couple chooses not to have a child, the reasons are no one else's business, certainly not the business of the church and to be called selfish for not having children is asinine. I had to post a comment on Facebook about a recent action of Republican Governor Brownback of Kansas (my home state)...A previous Governor had passed an anti-discrimination law to protect gay/lesbian workers in Gov't jobs. Brownback just rescinded that law. He is such an ass....... He has also responsible for Kansas now being almost on verge of bankruptcy, but I digress......I repeat, we should move forward, not backward, we need to achieve equal rights for all citizens and work together for world peace....O.K. that last sentence is more like what a candidate in Miss America pageant would say...sorry....
(02-13-2015, 10:35 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(02-13-2015, 06:16 AM)Duchess Wrote: Nobody likes a bully, no wonder they all want us dead.

Do you really feel that way, absolutely? I sure don't -- if only it were so simplistic.

America gets called in a lot to help people in other countries defend themselves against what they perceive as bullies. And, if we don't intervene and assist, then there's the predictable bitching about America having gone weak, not caring about people in any country that doesn't have oil, and all that jazz.

As for Yemen, I'd be very surprised if the Houthis wanted the American and other western embassies to be closed or want us to discontinue relations with Yemen. Houthi leaders don't want the US to turn their backs on Yemen, unless they're complete idiots. I'm not getting that sense about them, so far. They didn't kill the Presidential Aide they kidnapped, they released him after 10 days. They didn't assassinate President Hadi -- they forced him out. They didn't launch an attack on western embassies, they watched everyone evacuate (and then took embassy vehicles and stuff, but meh).

In my opinion, they don't want to alienate the US because they know their viability as a state relies on outside assistance. However, they would love America to stop the drone strikes in the country (unless, of course, those drones had a zero margin of error and could only ever hit al-Qaeda peeps or Houthi rival tribes, then they'd probably be imploring us to launch more of them). "The Death to Americans" slogan is idiotic though and I'd guess came about in response to airstrikes killing some Yemeni civilians and the US's alliance with Saudia Arabia -- but Mo probably knows more about the origins of that rhetoric, I'm just guessing. I think the Houthis are gonna need to dump that rhetoric, organize a regime quickly, and appoint a savvy leader/negotiation -- if they manage to hold onto control.

Anyway, Yemen is one of the poorest countries on the planet. Their oil reserves are almost depleted and water is running out too (most of which is used to grow qat). The country relies heavily on UNICEF and the World Food Bank. The US gives Yemen $150 million a year in aid; they need and want that assistance -- unless they want to throw in the independent-state towel and become part of Saudi Arabia (doubtful).

America could say, "fuck it" and let Saudia Arabia, Egypt and Iran do what they will about Yemen's failed statehood and AQAP. Maybe we should.

Very spot on.

With all this, we are more than curious what's going to happen next. One thing for sure, Benomar is trying to safe his ass, hence screaming now "On the brink of civil war" and trying to look somehow good after realizing he's been played like a Barbie by Salah.

However, one thing the world misunderstands about Yemen. It is the poorest country in the Middle East.

That is not because it it the poorest as per se, but because it has the most population of 25 mill by now, and growing at a mill a second, so percentage wise it looks bad, but wealth? It is the largest market for Porsche in the Middle East, you have villa's here that are rented for 20.000US$ per months, and about 50 billionaires, plus many, many millionaires. They just show it differently. They love the beggar look. Be it for themselves or their country. And it works as the US would surely not offer 150 mill a year to Oman or UAE.

I know people who have personal accounts here that are larger than that.

No, but because 90% of the population is poor, it only leaves 10% with the wealth. But that is still 2.5 million people, which is almost the whole population of Oman or half of that of Australia. 50% of Australia all millionaires. The rest would be Aboriginies of course.

Oil is still there and so is gas. Finally they are building water catchments across Sana'a, but if not, they just drill downwards. I remember at the Sheraton our water came from 300 meter deep and you showered with water that was around when the Dinosaurs roamed the earth. Sana'a is 2200 meter up, so there's still plenty to go down on.

And just like Blueberry says, no smart ass sexual references please!
Well, I very much hope Yemen doesn't implode, Mo.

There's no sugar-coating it -- right now, it's a hot unstable mess there and if the Houthis wanna maintain control or open the door for Salah's return, they're gonna have to legitimize themselves and organize very quickly. I don't know how they're gonna manage that. Following from the very distant sidelines, it sure looks like Yemen is taking big steps backwards, at least in the short term -- back to old Shia Muslim vs. Sunni Muslim battles and rival tribal conflicts.

France, the United States, Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain, Saudi Arabia and now UAE have closed their missions in the capital Sanaa and withdrawn staff.

It's being reported that heavy fighting is ongoing in the southern mountainous province of al-Bayda where 16 Houthi Shiite rebels along with 10 Sunni tribesmen and militants are reported dead. The locals are said to be aligning with al-Qaeda fighters against the Houthis.

The resurgence of AQAP strength is what western partners with the now ousted Yemeni government feared would happen after Hadi and his regime were overthrown. It's now the Houthis -- instead of President Hadi and western alliances -- trying to stymie AQAP. In my opinion, that's advantageous to AQAP, but maybe I'm underestimating the current power of the Houthis outside of Sanaa and overestimating the level of contempt that Saudia Arabia holds for Houthis?

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what happens next too and I feel for the people of Yemen. I know you're right that even in the poorest of nations, there are some very wealthy individuals and families. That's almost always the case. I've only ever heard of 2 Yemeni billionaires, but whether there are two or 50, they're the lucky ones who have the means to help others if they care, or to go elsewhere if things get too bad. A very small percentage of Yemen's large population has those options.
That's what hurts this country so much, the wealthy seriously don't give a shit about the rest. It is a prime example of a gorgeous place with some seriously excellent people being fucked up by those with the cash.

The Hooters actually don't open the door for Salah, he's the one behind all their new found power.

His close family was in charge of the elite troops of this country. Those that were trained in Russia as well as in the States. All of a sudden you have the Hooters being able to drive Tanks and every military they run in simply joins their side. Salah was given the famous "Don't you worry, step down and you'll be alright" card by Benomar, and he laughed all the way. His biggest enemies, Hamid and Mohsen, got literally wiped out in a week!

Their lavish residences, which are in my old neighborhood, are used by the Hooters as Museums, which the public can visit now after they ran away to see just how decadent their life style was.

What we are all waiting for is simply when the clash will happen between the Hooters and their helper from behind, Salah. I think I mentioned it before, we are expecting his son Ahmed to show up in about 2 months. Let's see.

The West is simply pissed off, Benomar knows he's been played embarrassingly, so they trying to show the biggest middle finger possible. The US Embassy was invaded, bombs were flying around here, people got killed, it was war, and yet, they all staid around and are all taking off now when they didn't before.

I myself believe that Salah won all those 35 years ago with the north against the south simply because of one reason. The Cold War.

The south was Russian after the Brits left Aden. The north, him, was supported by the west. That time it made sense. Now it doesn't anymore. So if all the Embassies move out from here to set up camp in the south, Aden, where they were before as well, it would just be a big sign of fuck you to Salah and whoever is with him, which would be the Hooters, as you can't be more north than them. And one thing for sure, the Southerners simply hate the North with a passion!

So looking at the map, the Hooters and Salah move into Sanaa and take it over, but everywhere around, Marib where the Oil is, Taiz, Ibb and all of Hadramout, doesn't give a fuck about them and sure won't let them enter. So if the West (US, UK, etc) decides to put up camp with the South here most probably in Aden, there's not much left for the Hooters and Salah. All the money and resources of the country is the south. During his time, Salah pulled all the business up to Sana'a, all the international companies got their HQ's here, but basically Sana'a and its surroundings itself got fuck all.

Let's see.
Another Satirical Cartoonist Targeted -- 1 Dead & 3 Wounded in Copenhagen, Denmark

Fortunately, this time bodyguards and police were able to push back the shooters (who are on the run now) before they could reach their target, Lars Vilks. However, one unidentified 40-year-old man was killed and three police officers were shot and wounded in the attack when the gunmen stormed a private conference.

Like Charb, one of the French cartoonists from Charlie Hebdo who was killed by AQAP last month, the Swedish Vilks has been on al-Qaeda's "Most Wanted" poster for crimes against Islam for years.

Vilks believes that every religion should be open to insults and satire. He's most famous and resented by some Muslims for his "Muhammad the Dog" cartoons.

[Image: Vilks.jpg]
Lars Vilks

About 30 people -- including Vilks and French Ambassador to Denmark Francois Zimeray, who tweeted later that he was "still alive in the room" -- went through airport-level security to get into Saturday's event at a theater building in what is described as a "very peaceful area" of the Danish capital.

But it didn't last long, with noise erupting just a few minutes in.

Story developing.

More: http://us.cnn.com/2015/02/14/europe/denm...index.html