Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the ancients know more than we do?
(07-02-2011, 05:10 PM)cladking Wrote:
(07-02-2011, 03:52 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(07-02-2011, 10:36 AM)Middle Finger Wrote: I wish the ancients knew more about germs, weather, and evolution so we wouldn't be so fractured into divisive areas of religious retardation today.

hah

Word.

I hardly think it was a paradise for the average man in ancient Egypt but when the economy collapsed I think the bad guys took over and they've essentially been running the world ever since. Government became a means to power as did religion. There was no such thing as modern religions (the business of faith) before 1800 BC. What we think was religion was actually primitive science founded on obsevation and logic. Most of these sciences had aspects of magic and mysticism but this was not very prevalent in Egypt. We mistranslate and misunderstand what they really believed. For example, the Egyptians mention at least 28 different types of sceptres in the surviving literature and scholars take these to be objects of magical power wielded by men. In actuality the word we take as "sceptre" would more correctly be translated as "machine part". It was machines that had great power not magic. Imhotep was the "Chief of Observers" not the "Chief of Seers".

Religion promises immortality in exchange for money today. Egyptian science promised an entity to watch over the people forever in exchange to helping the (Gods) (Neters) (Natures) build a pyramid today. Egyptian science didn't expect people to take anything on faith. It rewarded invention by awarding pyramid jobs to people from your city in perpetuity. For instance the guy who discovered that natron added to the geyser caused an eruption was from Chemmis so all future jobs concerning "Chemmistry" were awarded to people from this city.

Very interesting info as usual, bud!
86 112

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did the ancients know more than we do? - by Middle Finger - 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM