Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
former Penn. State Coach Sandusky charged in child sex case
(11-10-2011, 05:41 PM)MikeyA Wrote: I do agree, but put yourself in his shoes. I've got a bad personal relationship with a former coach. I now how a student in my home accusing him of wrongdoing, yet this individual chose not to report it to LE. That alone lends creedence that the accusation might not be truthful.

Think about it. If I came to you and told you an enemy of yours was raping someone, I witnessed it, yet I didn't call the cops. Wouldn't that make you suspicious?

Here's another thing people forget. Take Joe out of the equation. The Janitor and GA both hold a lot of responsibility and the school is still in the exact same circumstance they are in now. Joe's involvement is after the fact and too far removed for the vitriol he's receiving.

I don't think that Sandusky was Paterno's enemy at all! Paterno coached Sandusky at Penn State when he was playing football. Sandusky was a grad assistant under Paterno for a year before he left for 2 years to be an assistant coach at other institutions. Sandusky returned to Penn State in 1969 as an assistant coach and remained there until 1999.

Joe had to love Sandusky like a younger brother or son after coaching with him for 30 years. I'll bet it was the hardest thing Paterno had ever done to force Sandusky to retire. But Joe did the right thing in 1999. It leaves me to wonder why he didn't do the right thing in 2002.

As to the janitor, he is now in a nursing home suffering from dementia. I don't give him a pass for his previous (lack of) actions, but there's nothing to be gained by vilifying him as he can't defend himself or even explain his actions.

As for McQueary, he's done coaching college football. If Penn State doesn't outright fire him, he'll be forced to resign. I agree that he should've called 911 as he was watching a child being raped. He could have kept Sandusky from leaving and turned the matter over to police. A 28 year old man is old enough to make that decision on his own without calling his daddy (who should've told his son to call the cops). But he did at least report it to his boss, Paterno. We don't know what Paterno told McQueary, but obviously it wasn't, "Son, here's the phone I want you to call the police and tell them what you told me." The buck has to stop somewhere.

Messages In This Thread
RE: former Penn. State Coach charged in child sex case - by Cheyne - 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM