Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Conforming to Society Standards
I think that part of the issue with the Trevon case is society standards.

Whether Zimmerman was justified or not is another matter, but Trevon was dressed in attire that I would consider to be suspicious. Compile that with the Facebook photo's that have been surfacing, and I wouldn't give this kid the time of day.

I used to work with a guy that had, maybe an overzealous attitude towards society standards and breaking certain laws-he loved to go on posted land (especially Gov't posted), and take pictures. He claimed he never did any harm, just took pictures and walked out. He was and still is a "Free-stater".
His most often used comeback to anything I said to him was: "What, you think I should listen to the Government, just because society tells me to?"

What about Duchess's statement in the Walking while black thread:

"Yup, it's there. I've never removed my sunglasses, taken my hat off or pushed my hoodie back. The day they personally request that to me will be the day I remove every last dime from that fuckin' bank and they won't be too damn happy when I ask my man to do the same. You might be willing to tolerate that but I'm not. NO ONE tells me what I can wear. They'll never say that to my face, CG because I'm pretty & I'm white, they wouldn't dare".

Yet, I'm sure there is a certain "attire" that you have to wear for work-I mean, if you went up to the closest hobo and traded clothes with him, and then trotted off to work, your boss would send you home in a heartbeat.

To a point, I think most of us conform to society standards-supposedly for the greater good.

Society Standards are also used in profiling, which is why Trevon was targeted that night. Now everyone is wearing a hoodie-which makes it much easier on crooks, they get to walk in to a store and not be told to take their hood down and show there face.

Or the shopkeeper be considered politically incorrect, and the kid in the hoodie will start screaming 'justice for Trevon!

If there is a set precedence or "Bank sign" that says you have to conform or adhere to certain rules, do you?

What about laws? Is a law a law, no matter what? Most laws were originally made due to standards, ideas the people thought were good and just, at the time. If you can break the law by smoking pot (no harm, no foul), should someone just be allow to trespass on anothers' land?

Messages In This Thread
Conforming to Society Standards - by cannongal - 03-30-2012, 07:24 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by Duchess - 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by Duchess - 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by Duchess - 08-10-2020, 04:52 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by IMaDick - 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by sally - 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by Duchess - 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by QueenBee - 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by sally - 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by username - 03-30-2012, 08:28 PM
RE: Conforming to Society Standards - by username - 03-31-2012, 01:00 AM