Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Victoria (Tori) Stafford, 8 - Canada, Murdered. The trial of Michael Rafferty
Closing is delayed:

AM980 - There has been a delay in Michael Rafferty's first degree murder trial after legal discussions lasted longer than expected.

Justice Thomas Heeney is considering a variety of legal issues involved in his charge.

The crown, defense and Justice Heeney will be back in the courtroom on Friday to work on those legal issues.

The jury won't be back in the courtroom to hear Rafferty's lawyer Dirk Derstine give his closing argument until Monday morning at 10 a.m.

The Crown is scheduled to deliver its closing argument on Tuesday, followed by Justice Thomas Heeney's final instructions to the jury on Wednesday.

It's expected the jury will begin deliberations sometime Thursday.

Question, I read that the charges charge could take two days, that seems an awful long time, I haven't followed many cases this closely so I don't know if this is usual or not?

I wonder if Derstine is trying to get the judge to allow the jurors to consider finding him guilty on lesser charges, I really don't think there is anyway he will be acquitted, but he is probably trying to get less time then the minimum life sentence he stands to face.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria (Tori) Stafford, 8 - Canada, Murdered. The trial of Michael Rafferty - by Jezreel - 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM