Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NC Amendment One - Gay Marriage Pro or Con?
(05-06-2012, 10:36 PM)shitstorm Wrote:
(04-09-2012, 07:13 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-09-2012, 06:44 AM)pspence Wrote: I can't imagine having a long term partner in the hospital and not being allowed to see them because I wasn't "family"

I got to see this scenario first hand. I know a gay couple who were married, a vet & a trainer, both females, the vet became sick & was hospitalized and while she lay dying her spouse wasn't allowed to be with her because her wife's family were in control and they wouldn't allow it, they didn't allow her in the hospital room, they didn't allow her to help plan the funeral & they tried to take away the home they bought together. It was disgusting & uncalled for and happened because they couldn't deal with the fact their loved one was gay. It was a horror.

Gays can marry when they want, where they want but often times, as in this particular case, their marriage is not recognized, it's not legal. I have no problem whatsoever with them being allowed to have all the benefits male/female marriages are allowed.

^^THIS

The same thing could happen to a heterosexual couple who aren't married. Marriage is a legal protection and mainly about property rights. All couples should have these rights. I would be cool with marriage being a term applied to man & woman and calling gay partnerships civil unions. It's about the protections.

I have POA with my other half but who is to say a family member won't allow me this if something happens?

Messages In This Thread
RE: NC Amendment One - Gay Marriage Pro or Con? - by Tammy75 - 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM