Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Girl gives birth on the street...
(06-08-2012, 09:56 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 08:20 PM)cladking Wrote: Turks do not regard human life so lowly as the three who left the baby. They love their children as much as anyone else.

I've not seen any indication that what happened in this instance in Turkey is indicative of the country's culture regarding infants/children either. The countries that have cultural/economic issues which are linked directly to an actual practice of infanticide and abandonment are China (due primarily to its 1 child policy), the poorer parts of India (due primarily to the high cost/dowry required for girls), and the poorer parts of Africa. Of course, it's hard for the World Health Org or any organization to track exactly because these deaths by abandonment are not proactively reported, but these are consistently cited as the problem areas.

Compared to other developed nations, the United States has the highest rate of child homicide: 8.0/100,000 for infants, 2.5/100,000 for preschool-age children (age 1–4 years), and 1.5/100,000 for school-age children (age 5–14 years).
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article....urnalID=13

Can that be blamed on culture? To an extent, possibly. But, I think that psychology, circumstance, and laws have a lot to do with it. It's very difficult to understand how anyone anywhere can kill a baby or child or leave them to die. In the few countries where it's a known systematic practice due to economic/cultural issues, hoping there is progress made, as was done in South Korea. But, even so, that won't mean that no babies are killed there, just that the reasons will be different and the numbers will be significantly lower. JMO...

I can't speak to all of the post but the problem in China is primarily economic and fiat. There is no safety net to speak of for older or disabled adults and they need children to support them in their old age. China imposes some draconian sanctions on people for having more than a single child so people want male children who can better support them in old age. While abortion rates for females is very high I was not aware that infanticide was extremely common. Almost anything at all can come to be seen as normal or natural to people so we rarely even think about the status quo.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Girl gives birth on the street... - by username - 06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: Girl gives birth on the street... - by cladking - 06-09-2012, 08:10 PM