Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will you choose Assisted Living or your own home w/nursing care?
My MIL lived in an Assisted Living Community for 6-1/2 years. (It was very nice) She really liked it there, and was treated very well. She had 24 hour supervision, ALC nurse to dispense her meds, house keeping & laundry service, hair & nail salon. All kinds of social events "every" day, including in the lobby, "sing along's" of old favorite tunes they all knew. Her apartment was a good size.

The last year and a half there she slowly started to get dementia. And over time she started having trouble to recognize me and even her own daughter. It was very sad to see her continual demise. She kinda knew she knew us, but was not definitely certain.

Well after 6-1/2 years, the money ($4,700 /mo) ran out, so she had to go into a Nursing Home. Surprisingly, it was a very nice place, no really, it was checked out and came highly recommended. Her dementia progressed to the point of her not knowing where she was, and did not recognize anyone. Truly a heart breaking situation. Fortunately, she only lasted there 10 months. May my MIL (the best MIL a SIL could ever hope for) R.I.P.

(Me, I'll take Assisted Living, and hopefully check out from there)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will you choose Assisted Living or your own home w/nursing care? - by Carsman - 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM