Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will you choose Assisted Living or your own home w/nursing care?
I have worked in aged care facilities and I have worked in community nursing also. By far, the longer the person lives at home the better. It is better for them and their quality of life. Promoting independence keeps them active and happy. Also, they are free. Free to do what they want, when they want.

The argument for 'what if she falls?' = you can get an alarm buzzer that she can wear around her neck and activate in case of an emergency. With community nursing, the person can have assisted hygiene, nutrition, and medication management, and yet still maintain their independence and quality of life.

Aged care facilities have rules. All sorts of rules that can infringe on someone's life. It may be appropriate and have a place in some instances, but in the majority of situations it should be assisted living at home.

By the way, the community nursing that I worked with, was the Community Dementia Team. These people were diagnosed with dementia and were still living independently. Sometimes, with their families and sometimes alone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will you choose Assisted Living or your own home w/nursing care? - by aussiefriend - 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM