Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Shooting at Conn. Elementary School
Thiis is so heartbreaking! Several years ago, i bought a video game (Grand Theft Auto) and was appalled at the violence. Shooting police (I think it was) was the goal and there were points for every "kill." If one has the propensity or is unstable already, this can
certainly be a catalyst for violence as it reinforces any anti-social, etc. behaviors already manifesting itself in patient.
Decades ago, we had hospitals which treated only the mentally ill. It was sometimes difficult to get someone admitted as you had
to substantiate that the patient was capable of harming self and/or others. As insurance companies became less inclined to pay for
long term mental health treatment, these facilities were phased out (IMO). Today, the mentally ill walk among us because we do not
have a system in place to identify, assess/evaluate and treat the mentally ill. The doctors prescribe medications but who is going to ensure that meds are taken. There are very few in- patient psychiatric facilities and out-patient treatment is minium and often not effective. Again, it is difficult to "force" a mentally ill person to go to treatment. Even when family and school identifies behavioral
problems, there is just no plan in place to follow up with these individuals. I think these dangerous people should be locked up but we
have to look at society's plan of action for the mentally ill and that is going to be a tough one. For now, they walk among us.

a

Messages In This Thread
RE: BREAKING: Shooting at Conn. Elementary School - by blueberryhill - 12-15-2012, 12:18 AM