Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander
(04-22-2013, 05:48 PM)heartbreaker6713 Wrote: I didn't catch the very first couple days of the trial but i don't know that the prosecution put up a psychiatrist or anything like that. I know they put up the medical examiner to go over the autopsy, etc. But i'm thinking the prosecution let the defense go first to make a "fool of themselves" and play their cards first and then trump them with their expert. i very well may be wrong if they did put someone up in the first couple days but i didn't think they did.
You're right; in opening statements and case-in chief, Martinez theorized that Jodi killed Travis out of jealousy and anger and presented personal, investigative, and forensic witnesses. The prosecution didn't introduce a psychological component in its case until it was necessary in order to rebut the defense's psychological diagnosis.

Betting that Martinez would have avoided any psychological testimony in this case if he had his druthers; it makes the death penalty more difficult to attain. But, he knew the defense's claim and witness list in advance; he was well prepared to rebut them with Demarte. She was, imo, able to undermine what the defense's psychologists presented and offered a more objective psychological diagnosis that at least supports Martinez's motive theory.

IDK if the prosecution will bring up BPD in its closing; guessing it will depend on how much influence Martinez deems the defense's battered woman/PTSD diagnosis to have on the jury at that time. All JMO.

(04-22-2013, 11:26 PM)username Wrote: Wow. All of the judge's actions to date seem like an effort to avoid an appeal. Unfortunately, I think the defense has stacked up numerous appeal points. Not that they're legitimate but I think they still have enough to stretch this case to infinity and beyond.

I think so too; Judge Stephens is doing everything possible to avoid any foreseeable successful appellate issues. It means giving the defense a lot of leeway in death penalty cases.

Will be interesting to see how she rules on today's two major defense motions. Wouldn't be surprised if she grants both, but hope she's able to grant neither.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - by HairOfTheDog - 04-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Jodi Arias is going to . . . . - by Carsman - 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM