Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MURDERED: 8 yr old Leila Fowler - 12 yr old brother charged
(05-12-2013, 04:54 PM)username Wrote: I'd turn my son over in a heart beat especially if I believed he'd be treated as a juvenile. I hope I'd still do it if he were 17 but that would be really painful.

Yeah, age makes a huge difference in determining how he's handled/treated and the severity of his punishment.

If this case goes to trial, the 12 year old will be tried as a juvenile. I don't think California allows consideration of trying a minor as an adult unless he/she is 14 or older.

He'll probably be in a juvenile facility til he's 18 and transferred to an adult prison for the remainder of his sentence, if he's convicted/pleads guilty.

What scares me is, IIRC, he can only be incarcerated until he's 25 under California juvenile sentencing laws. I'll refresh my memory and see if that's changed recently, but don't think it has. What if he's simply a sociopath with violent tendencies that can't be helped?

If he has a diagnosed mental illness, perhaps he'll be sentenced to a psych penal facility and he can be incarcerated longer, if needed?

If he's guilty and he can be helped and rehabilitated wherever he ends up being incarcerated, great. I'd still be scared shitless to let him anywhere near my loved ones, no matter why he did it. His crime was a brutal one against a child in his own family and he acted/lied to protect himself from repercussions. Dangerous mind.

IDK. I wish we had more details as to how and why this went down, his mental state, family history, etc. I think we'll hear a little more, but maybe not too much more if this is all handled in juvenile court with sealed records.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by HairOfTheDog - 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by californiakid - 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM