Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MURDERED: 8 yr old Leila Fowler - 12 yr old brother charged
Sentence for 12 year old, IF he is found guilty.

Did a little more research.

-Because he's under 14 year old, there's no possibility to try Leila's bother as an adult in California.
-Assuming the 12 year old pleads guilty or is convicted of killing Leila, he can be held by the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) until he's 25. Typically, minors sentenced in juvenile court in California are placed in facilities close to their homes.
-I don't think (couldn't find solid confirmation) that a minor convicted in California juvenile court can be transferred to adult prison upon turning 18 years old, though they can be transferred to county jail.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm conflicted about this. IF Leila's brother is found guilty, the max he could serve in California is 13 years - til he reaches 25 years old. Here's the type of rehabilitation, mental/behavioral treatment and vocational services provided by DJJ:
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Juvenile_Justice/

IDK, I think someone who stabs a younger child multiple times and causes death (then tries to cover it up) shouldn't be released into society at age 25. But, I don't like the idea of treating a 12 year old like an adult and giving up on any possibility of rehabilitation either.

If I had to choose, I'd rather see him tried as an adult and sentenced to life without parole, because under the new law (SB9) he could petition/appeal to get out after 25 years if he meets the conditions. Since he's under 14, however, this isn't an option.

If he's guilty, he will quite likely be freed at age 25. I find that very disturbing.

Interested in hearing other opinions.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by HairOfTheDog - 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by californiakid - 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM