Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MURDERED: 8 yr old Leila Fowler - 12 yr old brother charged
(05-16-2013, 09:56 AM)Adub Wrote: Yes, there was just a Supreme Court case that decided just that. As long as the kid is not in custody, only being questioned, it is assumed that he is free to leave. If he asks for his parents, or an attorney, the questions have to stop until a parent or attorney is present. Short of that, it is all good. But, we'll see. I was surprised that the hearing was open to the public. Juvenile Court is usually closed to family only. I guess murder opens it up to the public.

The news earlier in the week said that the hearing would be closed, but then I came across a couple of pieces with the 12 year old, Isaiah's, name mentioned and quotes from the courtroom. Guess this explains it.

So, this was from a Calaveras County radio station's website yesterday:

[Image: 0515ri-fowler1_499x375.jpg]
The lawyers (Plesser and Reichel), Stepmom Crystal Walters, and Dad Barney Fowler

Isaiah Fowler walked into court dressed in a green jumpsuit.

Defense attorney Steven Plesser says there are still many questions.

"Why do the police think the minor did it, what forensic evidence is out there, how solid is it, how is it possible for a 12 year old to commit an offense like this, and how could a 12 year old commit an offense like this in such a way that would not lead to an immediate arrest."

The boy's mother and father sat in court, and defense co-counsel Mark Reichel spoke for them.

"Like any good family this is extremely problematic for them, I can tell you they love all of their children, like every good family, they love all of their children," said Reichel.

Isaiah cannot be tried as an adult, but the judge said he could be confined until his 23rd birthday if he's found guilty. No plea was entered by the defense, and the hearing has been continued until May 29th.

------------------------------------------------------

The suspect's lawyers are stressing the close, loving family bit for the record, imo. Truth, damage control, expectations of charges against other family members? Who knows.

I too am interested to learn if there is a history of authorities (police or CPS) being dispatched to the home.

NOTE: Since the 12 year old's name is now being used by some mainstream media (MSM), no problem using it at Mock.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by HairOfTheDog - 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
RE: ARREST MADE: Leila Fowler, 8 ys old - Murdered in CA. - by californiakid - 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM