Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GRAPHIC PHOTO: AIRPORT KILLING - LAX
(12-27-2013, 10:23 AM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: WTF is the point in pleading Not Guilty in a case like this?
The asshole gets shot in front of a couple hundred witnesses, video footage, finger prints on the weapon, weapon traces to his source, all that...
Never have understood the point of saying " I didn't do it"

It doesn't make much sense on the surface, that's true. But, from a legal perspective, it does.

If Ciancia had pleaded "guilty" right off the bat, I'd imagine that prosecutors would have taken death off the table, but would have insisted on life without parole.

Since he instead initially pleaded "not guilty", it gives his attorneys time to attempt negotiating a lighter sentence in exchange for a "guilty" plea. Or, just as likely, they will be trying to develop some defense strategy which minimizes their client's own responsibility - for example, they might go for insanity (like James Holmes is attempting) and try to get him incarcerated in a mental facility instead of federal prison.

I don't think this case will be tried in February 2014, as currently scheduled. The defense will file motions (which will delay the trial) and the judge will need to review and consider some of them to avoid appellate issues down the line. JMO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: GRAPHIC PHOTO: AIRPORT KILLING - LAX - by HairOfTheDog - 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM