Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cladking...Happy Birthday :kisses:
(02-03-2014, 07:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'd like to hear it, clad.

What's the news?

Cool. Dancingparty

There's not a lot I enjoy more than talking about the pyramid builders. There's a lot of irony here since Egyptologists feel the same way and they completely misunderstand the ancients because they were so quick to jump to conclusions. I pretty much understand the Pyramid Texts now so new things jump out everytime I read it.

This is the first time I'm "publishing" this anywhere by the by. If it is correct it will be the first time these concepts have seen the light of day in more than 4000 years.

One tougher passage has been;

Utterance 528.

1250a. Further, to say: O Swnt, who traverses the sky nine times in the night,
1250b. lay hold of the arm of N. for life;
1250c. ferry him on this sea.
1250d. (So) N. descends into this boat of the god,
1250e. in which the corporation of the Ennead rows,
1250f. to row N. in it.
1251a. "The chapter of Bdw" is recited for thee;
1251b. "the chapter of natron" is recited for thee.
1251c. Incense stands (as chief) before the Great Ennead,
1251d. while Bdw is seated before (or, in) the great ’itr.t-palace.

Since the meaning is in context these are incomprehenmsible if you don't know the context. Even when I know all the referents it doesn't help because you must understand the context. In modern language each word derives its meaning from context and everybody has somewhat different definitions so no two people understand a sentence quite the same way. But ancient language used fixed definitions and meaning was expressed by context.

Since I didn't understand the first line my understanding was just in probabilities based on the possible meanings of this line. I was sure I got the gist of it but missed a great deal. Even though I knew every word except "bdw" and "swnt" meaning was not certain. From the knowledge I had I could deduce that "swnt" was some strange reciprocal of the hours in a night and this line placed the utterance during the brief period in June that there were nine hours in a night.

It's always like a thunder bolt when I get it but in this case I could almost hear the bell ringing. It is the sound wave from the bell tower that traverses the sky nine times in a night. Now that my understanding is nailed down I can work on understanding the nature of "bdw". This is probably a minor natural phenomenon harnessed at the bottom of the pyramid to lift stones. It's important enough to constitute a chapter in the "Book of Thot" however so it's not insignificant. It could be as direct as the "natural phenomenon of knot tying" but this doesn't seem to fit well.

I suspect that Egyptian bells were heavy bronze rods hung from rope. They would quickly have learned to tune them by fluting the bottom end. A proper "bell" probably didn't exist until centuries later. Pound for pound a rod is nearly as loud as a bell shape and more easily made. This is however, merely speculation.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cladking...Happy Birthday :kisses: - by cladking - 02-03-2014, 09:31 PM