Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Banned from competitive swimming / SCHOOL RAPE CASES
(06-13-2016, 06:12 AM)Maggot Wrote: That's true, punishment should fit the crime if this kid got off light by being banned Kobe should have been banned from basketball.

This 20-year-old kid was convicted of a violent sexual assault and sentenced lightly by the judge; he'll do three months behind bars. That's a slap on the wrist to a lot of people.

I agree with Duchess and OBK that had he been a black student, he might may well have gotten a stricter sentence. Black offenders get convicted more often and get harsher sentences for the same crimes, according to all the statistics.

But, had he been the black star quarterback, shooting guard, or pitcher for Stanford, he also might have been treated more lightly than other students who weren't as valuable to the school. There's plenty of evidence from credible investigative reporting that coaches and athletic departments at major universities often work to shield suspected key athletes of all colors and backgrounds from criminal prosecution and long sentences.

Anyway, the US Swimming federation's choice to ban the convicted rapist from participation is not a legal sentence. The decision is in line with the organization's Code of Conduct and eligibility requirements. Brock Turner wasn't a top rated national swimmer anyway, and he hadn't been registered with the organization for over a year when he publicly raped an unconscious woman and tried to run away. His conviction for a violent crime disqualified him from future participation in the organization (which he may or may not see as a harsh punishment as compared to a multi-year prison sentence).

Had Kobe Bryant's accuser chosen not to drop criminal charges and moved forward with prosecution, and had Bryant been convicted and sentenced to prison for rape, he wouldn't have been able to play pro ball anyway. And, the NBA would have dumped him too - even 20 years ago, in my opinion. Had his accuser not lied to police about a couple of key pieces of her experience and had there been witnesses to support her account, maybe his accuser wouldn't have pushed to drop the criminal charges and go for a civil settlement instead. I don't know.

What I do know is that sexual assault/rape is a serious violent crime (which happens not only to women) and it happens too frequently on-campus and elsewhere. Suspected assailants shouldn't be given special consideration based on race, status, or anything else. Equal justice under the law -- there's still a long way to go, but I think the public awareness and exposure to the problem is a good thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Banned from competitive swimming..... - by HairOfTheDog - 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM