Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT KILLS WOMAN IN SAN FRANCISCO -- the death of Kathryn Steinle
(07-14-2015, 02:41 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 02:17 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'll see if I can find some evidence one way or the other when I get a chance, but I doubt that it can be quantified.

I don't believe it exists.

I truly believe it's one of those "kinda makes sense" arguments.

I think it makes a lot of sense, but, yeah, it's hard to prove a definitive correlation.

I see that Mother Jones managed to do it, however!

Murders in San Francisco vs. Similarly Sized Non-Sanctuary Cities

Murders per 100,000 residents in 2013

15.17================== Indianapolis
11.39============ Dallas
11.06 =========== Columbus
10.99========== Jacksonville
6.08======== Fort Worth
5.75====== San Francisco (sanctuary city)

Of course, San Francisco's homicide rate could be the lowest due a myriad of factors other than its sanctuary policy. And, there could be non-sanctuary cities similar to San Francisco that have lower homicide rates. Plus, "homicides" is only one category of crime and Donald Trump says the Mexicans are typically more inclined to push dope and rape white women than to kill people.

So, I was glad to see that Mother Jones dug deeper.

Snip:
Crime rates alone aren't enough to prove that sanctuary laws make us safer, but other evidence suggests the effect on public safety is real.

A 2013 study by the Department of Urban Planning and Policy at the University of Illinois-Chicago surveyed Latinos in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and Phoenix. It found that the increased involvement of local police in immigration enforcement in those cities had eroded trust in the legal system among both legal and illegal immigrants. Of those surveyed, 38 percent said they felt like they were under more suspicion and 45 percent said they were less likely to report a crime as a result—70 percent of the undocumented immigrants said so.

The erosion of trust was felt most acutely in Phoenix, where Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has put strict immigration enforcement at the center of his agenda.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015...-francisco

I'm betting that there are equally "solid" Awink cases to be made in opposition to sanctuary cities, depending on what data one compares and chooses to correlate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT KILLS WOMAN IN SAN FRANCISCO -- the death of Kathryn Steinle - by HairOfTheDog - 07-14-2015, 04:17 PM