Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I sent a State Rep through the roof today
The liquor industry really wants to control and limit the emerging legal marijuana business -- for control, profit and growth reasons. I get that. Some state governments and citizens support that and others oppose it. That's not only true in the U.S.

As posted upthread, the small province of Nova Scotia, Canada is moving towards selling pot in liquor stores.

However, the larger province of British Columbia will sell marijuana in a mixture of privately owned and publicly owned outlets, none of which will be liquor stores.

Under the BC model, it would be possible for a stand-alone cannabis retail outlet to be established next door to a liquor store, but not within its doors.

BC rejected the selling of cannabis in liquor stores, known as “co-location,” despite a campaign by an unlikely alliance of private liquor retailers and unionized public liquor store workers to allow for the sale of the products side by side.

That alliance has argued that liquor stores already have the infrastructure in place to safely handle cannabis, and that staff are well trained to prevent the sale to minors or intoxicated people.

However, public health experts including former Chief Provincial Health Officer Dr. Perry Kendall have argued against co-location.

Those experts argued that while 80 per cent of British Columbians consume alcohol, just 17 per cent say they use cannabis.

On one hand, they argued, making cannabis available in any of B.C.’s nearly 900 public and private liquor outlets could increase marijuana use, while on the other hand, it could expose people seeking marijuana who have addiction issues to alcohol. I get that; I think marijuana is much less dangerous to people's health than liquor and pills and has a lot of potential (and proven success) in helping liquor and opioid addicts to kick or curb reliance on those substances.

It's interesting watching the legalization of marijuana take hold. Now, if only the U.S. Federal government and Attorney General Jeff Sessions would pull their heads outta their asses by reclassifying marijuana accurately and quit harassing state legalized retailers and distributors.

Ref: https://globalnews.ca/news/4005829/b-c-t...own-grass/

Messages In This Thread
RE: I sent a State Rep through the roof today - by HairOfTheDog - 04-06-2018, 11:28 AM