Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Words are not violence, But do Words Matter?
Words themselves are not violent, in my view. But, words most definitely can/do incite or deter violence, and people should own the words they put out there.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I generally like to read/hear/engage them. But, not always.

I typically don't expend much energy on people who regularly express opinions based on made-up or imagined truths presented as facts, especially people who go off the rails when challenged...........unless the opinion or person has the power to impact my life or the lives of many (in which case, I'll keep challenging).

Freedom of choice isn't a constitutional right, but it's an intrinsic one and exercising it to avoid irrational and wasteful time-sucks is often a wise one, in my opinion.

Anyway, while I respect everyone's right to express their opinions, I don't respect all opinions expressed. And, I think restrictions on some types of hate speech are appropriate and necessary for society.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Words are not violence, But do Words Matter? - by HairOfTheDog - 10-29-2018, 01:03 PM