Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anthony Sowell (Serial Killer) Trial
(08-12-2011, 11:46 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Here in the good ole USA, he'll probably spend 10+ years on death row before justice is finally served.

yeah, i was wondering when it would actually get pushed back, guess i figured it would've happened sooner...

Ohio Supreme Court grants serial killer Anthony Sowell delay of execution (full article)
By: Pat Galbincea, The Plain Dealer
Published: Monday, April 02, 2012, 6:24 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Ohio Supreme Court agreed Monday to postpone the execution of Cleveland serial killer Anthony Sowell while his attorneys work on an appeal.

--snipped--

On Aug. 12, Common Pleas Judge Dick Ambrose sentenced Sowell to death, which was scheduled for Oct. 29. Sowell's attorneys, Jeffrey M. Gamso and William L. Summers, filed a stay of execution on Feb. 15, saying all appeals Sowell is entitled to would not have been completed before the execution date.

Summers has since had his license suspended for one year, but Gamso, whose practice is in Toledo, said the execution date needed to be postponed.

"I have 12,000 pages of transcripts and three banker boxes full of courts records to sort through," Gamso said. "I have a lot of work ahead of me. This appeal could take years."

Gamso also said the Ohio Supreme Court has to decide whether the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court and Ambrose made the right decision , and that Sowell cannot be executed until they decide.

He is being held in the Chillicothe Correctional Institution.

Mason said the appeal was not unexpected.

"The execution date of Oct. 29 this year was never going to happen," Mason said. "Between going to the (Eighth District) Court of Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court, I'd say it will take three to 3 12 years before we clear that and go through the same processes in federal courts and the U.S. Supreme Court which would push back execution to about 10 years."

He said his worst case scenario is the appeals could take 30 years.

damn democratic society.

Messages In This Thread
Anthony Sowell (Serial Killer) Trial - by koko - 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Case turned over to the jury - by koko - 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
CONVICTED - by koko - 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
CONVICTED - by koko - 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
RE: Anthony Sowell (Serial Killer) Trial - by koko - 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
impact statements - by koko - 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM