Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Hot Car Deaths -- Leave kids in the car and go shopping...
(07-06-2014, 03:48 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 08:50 AM)Carsman Wrote: Maybe, the law to only have the child in the rear seat of a vehicle for it's own safety, needs to be revisited.

(Hard to forget a child sitting next to you.)

I thought the same thing and researched it a little last week, Cars.

From what I gather, there are still a lot fewer deaths (or potential deaths) from forgetting kids in the hot car than from passenger side airbags going off and crushing a child to death. There aren't really reliable stats on the airbag deaths, though.

I did read a while back that vehicle manufacturers are working on future airbags that can detect the size of the passenger and inflate proportionally, but I don't know how close those smart airbags are to reality and/or market.

Unfortunately, you were right, fewer forgotten kids deaths, VS front seat deaths. Found link below.

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-top...-car-seats

Actually, my newer car front passenger seat has a sensor to determine if someone is sitting in it. If no one is sitting in it, "Airbag Off" is lit up on dashboard display panel. So maybe the sensors in cars of the future can be set to recognize a "child's seat" is strapped into the front seatbelt buckle.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leave kids in the car and go shopping... - by Carsman - 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM